• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

egt gauge or air/fuel gauge

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I recommend an Air/Fuel gauge! Reason being.......I have EGT's and after you find your baseline from reading plugs and piston wash, it still only gives you a high-temp number to tune too. It doesn't give you a good way to tune ALL the way through all ranges of rpm. You run an Air/Fuel and tune it all the way through at 13.5 and you KNOW you are dead on in ALL areas! Just my opinion! Been thinking of jumping over!

Aaron

H

Hairy Mark

Nov 21, 2007
kettle falls
actually if you are going to tune with an o2 sensor you want it to read 14.7 for the maximum out put. that is what all the manu. say. 11.5 on boost.

S
Nov 26, 2007
If it reads 14.7 for very long you will be buying some new aluminum to put in your freshely rebuilt cylinders on a m1000. 13.2 is safe 14.2 you are playing with fire. This is with the o2 sensor mounted in the inlet neck of the can.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
If it reads 14.7 for very long you will be buying some new aluminum to put in your freshely rebuilt cylinders on a m1000. 13.2 is safe 14.2 you are playing with fire. This is with the o2 sensor mounted in the inlet neck of the can.

I run Both now the EGT and the A/F system....
Sidehill is correct low 14 is the higest I would go

I
Nov 26, 2007
14.7 is for 4 stroke applications I have heard that 11 or 12 is the most for a 2 stroke. I have run mine for one ride and at WOT it is about 10 so I am going to lean it down and watch plugs and wash untell I get a baseline. I am under boost with those #'s but I dont know if that matters.

T
Dec 11, 2007
What? Where? How?

where do you get the o2 sensor? I suppose any will work right? What do you need to hook it up? gauge? what kind do you use? is there a power hook up? Can anyone inform a complete idiot how to hook one up?

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
where do you get the o2 sensor? I suppose any will work right? What do you need to hook it up? gauge? what kind do you use? is there a power hook up? Can anyone inform a complete idiot how to hook one up?

Call Starting Line or Exahust Gas Tech / they can answer ALL your questions.
This is a KIT so all gauge/connections / sensor comes together

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
I recommend an Air/Fuel gauge! Reason being.......I have EGT's and after you find your baseline from reading plugs and piston wash, it still only gives you a high-temp number to tune too. It doesn't give you a good way to tune ALL the way through all ranges of rpm. You run an Air/Fuel and tune it all the way through at 13.5 and you KNOW you are dead on in ALL areas! Just my opinion! Been thinking of jumping over!

Aaron

Aaron

Both types of gauges have their advantages. The 50 series of Digatron gauges has the capability of recording up to 2 hours of actual running data in the gauge. This will provide you with more than enough information to tune any sled. Yes it will give you Max readings with the push of a button but the ability to look at the "big picture" all at once is invaluable. I do not think anyone makes an o2 gauge that has datalogging capabilities yet.

Nice thing about the datalogging is you do not have to keep watching the gauge while you are running. It remembers everything for you to play back later.

The Digatron gauges also have a visual warning system that will alert you when the combustion temps get too hot. A user would simply program in the max temp they would like to be alerted to. If the engine ever met or exceeded that temp a bright red light would turn on. This would hopefully give you enough time to back down and save the engine.

I hope this helps in making EGT vs O2 decisions. They are both very valuable pieces of equipment.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Mark, I do agree with you! They are both good. It was just my opinion through my experience so far with the gauge. So what is the best way to tune the sled in all areas with the digitron? Do you lean down until you are right below the warning lights in all rpm ranges? Tell us exactly what the proper way is to tune all the way through. Sorry about the dumb question. Just trying to learn! Thanks.

Aaron

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
Mark, I do agree with you! They are both good. It was just my opinion through my experience so far with the gauge. So what is the best way to tune the sled in all areas with the digitron? Do you lean down until you are right below the warning lights in all rpm ranges? Tell us exactly what the proper way is to tune all the way through. Sorry about the dumb question. Just trying to learn! Thanks.

Aaron

Aaron

All questions are good. Not dumb. It is best to start out fat and sneak up on the mixture you feel you want the sled to run at. Depending on your type of riding, dictates how your engine is tuned. overall you would like a consistent/flat mixture across all RPM ranges and loads. While a richer mixture may provide better driveability under certain conditions. It is always better to be fat than thin.

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
egt

I was taught to lean the mixure out until the egt max's out then starts to drop back off then bring it back rich a few degrees atleast thats how they do it on small aircraft

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
I was taught to lean the mixure out until the egt max's out then starts to drop back off then bring it back rich a few degrees atleast thats how they do it on small aircraft

harf69

Under certain RPM/Load conditions... It is possible to do that. In fact that is exactly how we did it when I was developing fuel calibrations for the automotive industry (only at the low RPM and light load settings). The reality is you start out rich and work your way to lean. (but not too lean / too hot). At the higher RPM/Loads it is impossible to max out the EGT readings without melting the pistons.

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
I have heard that on the M series you need to run a little battery in order for some of the kits to work, is anyone else having this problem?

"No batteries required" The gauge (current models) is self contained. There is a capacitor on the gauge which keeps it working, (once charged by the sled), when the engine is shut down. The capacitor as well as the gauge has a "LIFETIME" warranty on it. So there is no need to ever worry about the gauge.

What type of problems are you referring to? If you have an older model (oldies but goodies). they may require batteries (inside the gauge)

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm installing an Innovate XD-16 right now with a small battery on a 07 M1000.The Guy at EGT told me the sled can charge the battery.

Anyone know what color wire on the sled I need to hook to so it will charge the battery??

Premium Features