• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Would you buy a 14’ Pro?

B
Dec 14, 2010
120-125 is standard compression on a cfi 800 motor. X2 on a leak down test. A leak down test will tell you how well the rings are sealing. From what I was just told by a dealer is that Polaris wont rebuild a topend under warranty until the leak down is above 10%. I found this out because my axys is 10% on mag side and 4% on PTO and the compression is 118 and 120.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What elevation is that standard compression at?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
MN about 1200'. Axys and pro motors are pretty close to the same as far as compression is concerned. And yes it does depend on the gauge. On gauge might read 110 and the other 115 and another 105. I've had a high end mac gauge read 60psi and my less expensive gauge read 118. If the compression was 60psi the sled wouldn't even run. This was on a cfi 800.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Just talked to the tech that did the compression test and he said that 105 is very normal on his Matco gauge, he is seeing new pros with the same compression gauge at 105-110(@4400’ elevation). He also said that overall the sled looked to be in decent shape but the blow back oil canister was weird to him and he’s never seen it before. I asked him about the track and he said he did see some of the chips in the side of the track and that may be from a screw in the tunnel that needs to be flipped around.

He did say he was a skidoo guy but one thing he said kinda stuck with me... that he’s seen the Polaris 800 CFI motors need tops ends anywhere from where the sled is currently mile wise up to about 1500 miles. Essentially meaning that it’s due for a top end any time now and that you never know with the 800s when the motor could go (he has a 17 AXYS in the shop with only a few hundred miles that the motor locked up on). I know every manufacture can have their mishaps but it seems like this 14’ Pro could potentially turn into a money pit even if I do the work myself and just buy parts

When I asked the tech for a recommendation for a sled under $5k, he said the 12’+ etec seemed bullet proof other than needed the skidoo clutch tune up kit around 2000 miles and he said he’s heard good stuff about the arctic cat (13’+)

May walk away from this guys pro for sale and keep looking

Last edited:

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Way to many pros have been tore down prematurely. That's why a leak down test should be performed. Then you will know the condition of the top end. Do not go off compression test alone. I doubt the motor needs a top end. Maybe in another 2000 miles.

This is not true at all!!

Last edited:
B
Dec 14, 2010
Way to many pros have been tore down prematurely. That's why a leak down test should be performed. Then you will know the condition of the top end. Do not go off compression test alone. I doubt the motor needs a top end. Maybe in another 2000 miles.

Ok thanks for the info. I agree on the leak down, but they’re gonna charge me anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on which shop does it. At that point it will run me approx $200-$300 to test after spending $50 on the compression test. Which I agree is money well spent but not if I end up walking from the sled.

Seems that 13+ arctic cats and 12’+ etec don’t necessarily need leak down tests and theoretically I could spend that extra $200-$300 on a more expensive sled. Or is my thinking flawed?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
the Polaris 800 CFI motors need tops ends anywhere from where the sled is currently mile wise up to about 1500 miles. Essentially meaning that it’s due for a top end any time now and that you never know with the 800s when the motor could go

This is not true at all.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Ok thanks for the info. I agree on the leak down, but they’re gonna charge me anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on which shop does it. At that point it will run me approx $200-$300 to test after spending $50 on the compression test. Which I agree is money well spent but not if I end up walking from the sled.

Seems that 13+ arctic cats and 12’+ etec don’t necessarily need leak down tests and theoretically I could spend that extra $200-$300 on a more expensive sled. Or is my thinking flawed?
To determine the top end condition with out tearing down the motor a good mechanic will do a leak down test on all motors 2 and 4 strokes no matter the brand.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Please let me clarify, I’m not taking trash on Polaris, I’m simply stating what I’ve been told...

Here is a close up pic of the worst part of the track. There is 1 maybe 2 spots like this on the track, rest is just frayed a bit. Other than that it’s a fairly clean looking track. I have a slow mo video of the track if I can figure out how to post it on here

97B075AB-B64A-404B-B775-710B2A40B92C.jpeg

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Please let me clarify, I’m not taking trash on Polaris, I’m simply stating what I’ve been told...

Here is a close up pic of the worst part of the track. There is 1 maybe 2 spots like this on the track, rest is just frayed a bit. Other than that it’s a fairly clean looking track. I have a slow mo video of the track if I can figure out how to post it on here
And I was stating that you have been told false information especially about the 13-15 pro 800's.

I would not worry one bit about the track. The mechanic was probably right about it rubbing on a bolt or rivet. When new they stretch and can cause the track to walk from side to side. If you look at other pros you will notice some have wear Mark's low on the out side lugs cause from the same thing, the track walking from side to side and hitting a rivet or bolt that might be just a little 2 long.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Just an fyi It takes about an hr at the max to do a top end leak down test not 2-4hrs. Its about as simple as doing a compression test.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I wouldn't trust that mechanic's advice... he is a skidoo fanboy and is giving you bad info based on older sleds and wanting to charge that much for a leakdown test. 13 and newer Polaris motors are generally VERY durable, of course there are a few that go down in any brand Skidoo and Cat included. Seeing lots of miles racked up with the newer motors.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The track doesn't look like an issue to me, not a deal breaker.

If you read the posts closely you will understand why a compression test is worthless. You have a guy with 118-120 compression but 10% and 4% leakdown. At 10% those rings are shot, 4% is just right but the compression test would lead you to believe it is all good.

I agree with the notion that they need 2-4 hours to do a leakdown test is bogus. Compression test should take 15 minutes, leakdown maybe 30...

I do completely agree with the techs opinion on the durability of Polaris motors. Yes, it could need a top end now, it will definitely need one after another season. That is why getting a leakdown on a Polaris is critical. They do a poor job on the consistency of cylinder finish so they are the least consistent runners. Leakdown will tell you where you are at in the rebuild continuum.

Keep in mind the source here, this is the Polaris Pro forum and you are going to get the fan boys. You will find the Polaris guys the most vehement defenders of their brand. Great riding machines but far and away the most expensive to maintain because they are simply the least durable of the three brands by a measurable amount.

Could this sled become a money pit? Sure could... The whole sport is a money pit, wait till you go out to buy gear to keep you warm and dry, there goes another $1500...

B
Dec 14, 2010
The track doesn't look like an issue to me, not a deal breaker.

If you read the posts closely you will understand why a compression test is worthless. You have a guy with 118-120 compression but 10% and 4% leakdown. At 10% those rings are shot, 4% is just right but the compression test would lead you to believe it is all good.

I agree with the notion that they need 2-4 hours to do a leakdown test is bogus. Compression test should take 15 minutes, leakdown maybe 30...

I do completely agree with the techs opinion on the durability of Polaris motors. Yes, it could need a top end now, it will definitely need one after another season. That is why getting a leakdown on a Polaris is critical. They do a poor job on the consistency of cylinder finish so they are the least consistent runners. Leakdown will tell you where you are at in the rebuild continuum.

Keep in mind the source here, this is the Polaris Pro forum and you are going to get the fan boys. You will find the Polaris guys the most vehement defenders of their brand. Great riding machines but far and away the most expensive to maintain because they are simply the least durable of the three brands by a measurable amount.

Could this sled become a money pit? Sure could... The whole sport is a money pit, wait till you go out to buy gear to keep you warm and dry, there goes another $1500...

Maybe I’m miss understanding what a leak down test is. This is what my understanding of a leak down is...

https://youtu.be/r-ffJVbpeAs

By the time the tech removes all the internal engine bay pieces, the test looks quick. Then the tech has to reinstall all those pieces. That why I thought 2-4 hours sounded somewhat reasonable.

I’ve called around the state and most of the service managers can’t even tell me the difference between a leak down test and a compression test. Some of them try to tell me they are the same. Seems like there may be a lack of knowledgeable service individuals in Utah

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
A top end leak down test is done by removing the spark plugs, putting the piston at tdc hooking up the gauge to the cylinder that's at tdc it screws into the spark plug hole then hook up the air hose from compressor to the gauge hold the clutch so the piston wont move, add pressure to the cylinder 100psi and read the gauge. The test is very simple to do.
a0231721011d50cca407794e559e7f21.jpg

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
By the way I'm not a Polaris fan boy. I own all 4 brands. I just choose to ride Polaris more because I like the way they handle and they're the easiest of all four brands to work on.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Think I may buy that 14 pro 800 with 600 miles(actually 700 because he owner went on a few more rides this spring). Talked to the guy in person for a good 30 min before starting the sled and he seemed to be really legit. Always 91 Oct ethanol free, VES oil and owned it since 100 miles. Talked him down to right at 4K.

Taking it to do a compression test at a Polaris dealer. But I wanted to follow up with you on a few pictures. The tunnel is straight but there are a few small waves at the very end. Normal? Picture attached

The track seems slightly ragged in a few spots. Is that normal for 600 miles? Pictures attached

The sled has a coolant filter (that all the owner and I could honk it was) on from the original owner. Picture attached

And the sled is throwing an E173 engine code which is the exhaust code and reading on the forums it says it typically goes away after operating temp has been met. But the owner said he would have the polaris delaer fix it tomorrow when they do the compression test.

The tunnel looks normal. My 15 SBA did the same thing and so had my 16 axys. I haven't seen any negative effect from it.

Track is normal.

Coolant filter? or breather? Never seen that on a sled...

More than likely that code its throwing is a sensor issue, which is not to expensive to fix.

For $4000, I'd buy it. Every 14 and up Pro 800 I've seen in any of the groups I've ridden in have been flawless. I can't speak to the previous years because I haven't been around them.

B
Dec 14, 2010
The tunnel looks normal. My 15 SBA did the same thing and so had my 16 axys. I haven't seen any negative effect from it.

Track is normal.

Coolant filter? or breather? Never seen that on a sled...

More than likely that code its throwing is a sensor issue, which is not to expensive to fix.

For $4000, I'd buy it. Every 14 and up Pro 800 I've seen in any of the groups I've ridden in have been flawless. I can't speak to the previous years because I haven't been around them.

Thanks for the info. What was originally thought to be a coolant filter is actually a blow back oil catch canister. Typically blow back is routed back into the intake but this canister stops the oilly substance from going back into the intake. Or atleast that’s what I’ve bean able to figure out

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I am not saying to not buy the sled. For $4k it seems like a pretty nice low mile machine. I would be putting money away for a top end, that's all. I would send it to Indy Specialties and get the super duper cylinder finish put on, and whatever else that Polaris guru suggested. Then you could probably go a few years.

I tried riding Polaris because I do like how they ride the best. I had 2 Pros and an Axys. They are one season machines for me, after that I start losing clutches and motors. If I could afford two new sleds with warranties they would probably be Polaris but, I need a spare. My Cat is less frisky, just as capable and doesn't wear out after a season, I might keep it for a third... Hasn't required a spare. My Doo buddies ride the snot out of theirs too and don't have problems either. Honestly the only time I had a lot of sled issues where my Polaris days, have to go with experience and I know yours may differ.

To me they all have issues. The Cat is too heavy and too wide. The Doo has a goofy steering angle and outdated skid and the Polaris is awesome except for the durability. If they last for you then you have it made. They just don't last for me.

This should be a great sled for a young guy wanting to get back in. Just know that even brand new $14k sleds are not always trouble free. Expect to spend some money if you want to ride a lot.

B
Dec 14, 2010
A top end leak down test is done by removing the spark plugs, putting the piston at tdc hooking up the gauge to the cylinder that's at tdc it screws into the spark plug hole then hook up the air hose from compressor to the gauge hold the clutch so the piston wont move, add pressure to the cylinder 100psi and read the gauge. The test is very simple to do.
a0231721011d50cca407794e559e7f21.jpg

I talked to another service manager today and he said how he’s never heard of a leak down test on a 2 stroke snowmobile. He has heard of doing them on 4 strokes. Does the leak down test go by a different name? Maybe I’m describing it incorrectly

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I talked to another service manager today and he said how he’s never heard of a leak down test on a 2 stroke snowmobile. He has heard of doing them on 4 strokes. Does the leak down test go by a different name? Maybe I’m describing it incorrectly
No. Do a search on here theres some pretty good info about leak down test by indy specialties and other members.

Premium Features