• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 RMK Bent steering hoop, possible steering shaft and misaligned skis

S

SaskRMK

Sep 7, 2010
Saskatoon,SK
I have Read a few ways of doing this but i would like to know the PROPER way. After a day of riding at the Silver mines in Golden and a decent crash i realized that one of my skis was towed way out compared to the other one. The bulk head seams to be fine and the shocks are centered within the A arms. The lower a arm on the towed out side has been slightly bent all season but is no worse now that i have realized the misaligned skis. I have pulled the plastics around the steering shaft and have realized that the large chassis hoop has a dent in the one corner and my bars are not sitting straight. After further inspection one of of the foam pads that connect to the hoop that rest on the gas tank has shifted about 1.5cm so this clarifies its bent. Would you think that only the hoop is bent or the actual steering shaft itself is bent as well because the bars are not sitting level. I am asking because i don't know what the pivot is like at the end of the steering shaft and do not completely know how to diagnose what all is bent.

Thanks in advance guys

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
my hoop also bent on my 08. pushed toward mag side of sled, and caused the bars to sit weird. I replaced the column with one from wildchild on here. His are chromoly and supposed to be much stronger. I got a new hoop on the way and I am planning on trying to gusset is for strength. Mine bent from hard landing during cornice jump. The columns are prone to breakage so look closely for rust on the welds indicating cracks. I am also considering resin filling both the column and the hoop for rigidity. Any thoughts?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I wouldn't use the gas tank pads as reference for anything. The tank is just pushed forward and sits in between and the pads will move.

S

SaskRMK

Sep 7, 2010
Saskatoon,SK
I'm mentioning the tank pads because there is an stickered area underneath the one pad that is VERY clean and the same shape as the pad, This would indicate that the hoop has recently shifted. The pad is still fully intact with the hoop yet has stiff shifted indicating the hoop is bent. I can clarify because of the dent in the hoops corner. I'm hoping to find a used hoop and shaft on snowest so i wont have to order them from Polaris. More on this chromoly steering shaft? where can one purchase this?

if the steering hoop is bent would this indicate a bent steering shaft as well? I'm unfamiliar with the linkages so i don't know if it is prone to bending once the hoop is bent but my bars/shaft are definitely siting at an angle.

Do i have to remove my engine to replace the steering shaft or can it be done with the engine in place? I will have to take some pictures tonight

thanks again

Last edited:
S

SaskRMK

Sep 7, 2010
Saskatoon,SK
dsc03960ep.jpg

dsc03976ld.jpg

There is also some cracking evidence where the loop meets the alum vented area.

Last edited:
Premium Features