• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will the ads go away now?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Are the ads in your way? It's not like we are talking about pop ups here, just the same ads located in the same spots they have been for years right? So what I'm I missing here guys, why do you want them turned off when they are not in your way?

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Are the ads in your way? It's not like we are talking about pop ups here, just the same ads located in the same spots they have been for years right? So what I'm I missing here guys, why do you want them turned off when they are not in your way?

becuse folks are starting to realize that paying to see adds that are, paid for by the companies advertising, seems well..............

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
What???? How about you try that one more time.

Ok, I understand your a moderator so this may take a little more explaining:

Traditional forums, such as that of snowest, prior to the awakening operate (make their money) from advertisements. This works rather well provided you have a good forum base (Users) who use the forum on a regular basis (Justify the advertisement)

Non Traditional Forums use their forum base (Users) to operate (make their money). This means the users pay to use the forum. One benefit to this is a clean forum which is for the most part exactly what the users demand (because their paying). These usually includes no pop ups, advertisement. Etc.

What the original poster asked was rather simple. If we are now paying why are there still adds ?

The answer is better left to the almighty himself

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ok, I understand your a moderator so this may take a little more explaining:

Traditional forums, such as that of snowest, prior to the awakening operate (make their money) from advertisements. This works rather well provided you have a good forum base (Users) who use the forum on a regular basis (Justify the advertisement)

Non Traditional Forums use their forum base (Users) to operate (make their money). This means the users pay to use the forum. One benefit to this is a clean forum which is for the most part exactly what the users demand (because their paying). These usually include no pop ups, advertisement. Etc.

What the original poster asked was rather simple. If we are no paying why are there still adds ?

The answer is better left to the almighty

I like how you start with your insults right from the start. Makes it nice because now I know the person I'm dealing with.

But my original question has still not been answered. What I wanted to know is why the ads were interfering with your Snowest experience? Or is this just the fact that it's something that was thought about but has no real reason. Like you would rather have a blue background than a white type of thing. Since the ads don't pop up or interfere with you while you browse Snowest. Oh and don't use the "it's the principal of the matter speech" because that's not really an answer to the question.

But the reason I ask this is because unlike what you think. The moderators and admin staff do care what people think about what is going on here.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
I like how you start with your insults right from the start. Makes it nice because now I know the person I'm dealing with.

But my original question has still not been answered. What I wanted to know is why the ads were interfering with your Snowest experience? Or is this just the fact that it's something that was thought about but has no real reason. Like you would rather have a blue background than a white type of thing. Since the ads don't pop up or interfere with you while you browse Snowest. Oh and don't use the "it's the principal of the matter speech" because that's not really an answer to the question.

But the reason I ask this is because unlike what you think. The moderators and admin staff do care what people think about what is going on here.

banging-my-head-against-the-wall-by-the-brownhorse-on-flickr.jpg

Last edited:
R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
Ok, no insults from me:

Every other web forum I'm on has advertisements on it, UNTIL you pay. After you pay, no more ads.

Snowest should be the same way. I bought my subscription (plus some), I should have a clean page. Simple enough. No, they don't interfere, but I don't care to see them either.

Unlike most on the site anymore, I've been here since long before the ads were even a part of the site. I'm sure if you look back you'll find my post being the first to COMPLAIN about the first ads (it was an obnoxious flashing ski-doo ad) from back in the day.

On edit: screw it...right click in Firefox and block the ads. problem solved. :)

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rprecision-

I'll take that as you don't have a answer to my question. Which is what I thought in the first place.

Boston Racing-

However I'm still interested to see your reason for wanting to shut the ads off.

Thanks,

Ben

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ok, no insults from me:

Every other web forum I'm on has advertisements on it, UNTIL you pay. After you pay, no more ads.

Snowest should be the same way. I bought my subscription (plus some), I should have a clean page. Simple enough. No, they don't interfere, but I don't care to see them either.

Unlike most on the site anymore, I've been here since long before the ads were even a part of the site. I'm sure if you look back you'll find my post being the first to COMPLAIN about the first ads (it was an obnoxious flashing ski-doo ad) from back in the day.

On edit: screw it...right click in Firefox and block the ads. problem solved. :)

As a paying member on a couple of other websites they all still have the ads around the page but any pop-ups would be gone. I guess I want to be able to see them as they might be for a product or information I might not know about.

Interesting about the Firefox thing, never knew that before.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I thought it was well explained :sorry:

You did a great job of explaining the difference between the two forum types.

But you never said why the ads got in your way of browsing Snowest. As a member now the ads must be in your way and negatively affecting you, right? Otherwise why would want them gone and spend your time posting about it here? That's all I want to know. If I'm supposed to make a point to the rest of admin about members wanting to be able to hide the ads then I need to know WHY they want them hidden? Is it just because you want that personal option, like changing the background color and hiding the forum subsections or is there another reason that they are in your way.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Rprecision-

I'll take that as you don't have a answer to my question. Which is what I thought in the first place.

Boston Racing-

However I'm still interested to see your reason for wanting to shut the ads off.

Thanks,

Ben

Ads are spammed throughout forums to pay for the service provided to the customer free of charge. Now that you are charging is there still a need for paid advertising? or is that just beer money? Sever sites out there have a free program and once you pay the ads go away.

If I am paying truthfully the flashing ads are annoying.

Is that easy enough to understand:face-icon-small-dis

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
It also takes up valuable real estate on the page when you are reading the site from your phone.......:face-icon-small-coo

I'm trying to keep an open mind to this paying thing but honestly instead of a treadmil I would rather be able to shut the adds off. If you have ever seen idiocracy you would get it about the flashing advertisments. Advertisers were a neccesity to keep the site running, they shouldnt be any longer...right?

D
Nov 26, 2007
colorado
No i'm sure they are giveing the ads away for free now since they are not a free site anymore. (right) Maybe if the advertisers dont get hits from this site they wont be to eager to pony up the ad money

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
I kind of like the ads. It gives me resources to purchasing decisions. I suppose maybe if your a paid member you should have the choice to turn them off, but it's nice to see the product out there that is related to our sport.

Premium Features