• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will never motors fit on a 13 pro chassis

J
Mar 17, 2019
Hey everyone, so I recently bought a used pro rmk 800, and first ride I went to take it on after purchasing it the thing blew up. Brought it to my local Mechanic and he said everything is garbage in it, he have an estimate of around 5 grand to fix it when I paid 5500 for it so no too thrilled. I’ve been shopping around looking for motors elsewhere and wondering if any newer engines would fit on a 13 chassis? I’m new to the newer sleds all I’ve ever ridden were the old school ones. Thanks for any help or tips!

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Engines from 13-15 would bolt right in. If your referring to an axys motor by newer then I would say no. Maybe could be done but not worth the hassle with the elec. exh valves and electric oil pump. Should be able to find a used pro motor for 1500-2000

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I have wanted to go this route, but you need to be comfortable with;
-Fabricatio work
-Clutch aligning
-Electronic schematics

I'd get electric harness and dash instrument with the engine, not the sled.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
For motor work I would definitely go to Indy specialty, too if he buys a complete engine. then he’s gonna have 8500+ into it when he could have had a brand new 18 axys for same money. Your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Keep in mind, the price paid for the sled is irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, it sucks – you're in the place we all worry about when we buy a used piece of equipment – but that's water under the bridge.

The sled as it sits is worth maybe $1500? So you can add that to how much you'd spend on the sled for the foreseeable future to get a picture of what else you could be buying. If it might need, say, new clutches, track, and a pile of other upkeep bits, you could easily spend another $2000 on top of the motor. With the rebuild, that's around $5000, still in striking range of a new sled if you can get some money out of it as it sits. On the other hand, if the sled is was taken care of and had some nice upgrades, then I'd say fix it. A used motor is the most cost effective solution, but it's pretty hit or miss in terms of finding a good deal, plus it's another roll of the dice. I guess if it were me I'd spend some money on a rebuild unless you luck out on a used motor.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
There are a couple low-mile engines being sold from part-outs of 2014-15 on facebook mountain sledder swapmeet, in iowa, I'm sure he'll ship, under 1K miles around 2 grand...
On the other hand, at least in this neck of the woods, a good rolling Pro chassis of the 13-15 vintage seems to bring around 2 grand... I've seen people who cracked a bulkhead or twisted a tunnel looking for a sled to drop their motor into...
Tough place to be. I would also go to the seller and appeal to their sense of fairness, I know as a seller if my sled blew up first ride out I would at least want to split the cost of a good used motor... I know I wouldn't have to but that is what I would do anyway.

timo406

Premium Member
Mar 21, 2019
Kalispell, MT
currently swapping a '15 engine into a '13

Did you find an engine yet? I'm in the middle of my first ever engine swap and have hit a snag going from oringinal '13 engine to the '15 i just bought... the wiring isn't all the same... wondering if you had found any light on the subject in your search? bummer about your sled man mine did the exact same thing, everything was junk.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Did you find an engine yet? I'm in the middle of my first ever engine swap and have hit a snag going from oringinal '13 engine to the '15 i just bought... the wiring isn't all the same... wondering if you had found any light on the subject in your search? bummer about your sled man mine did the exact same thing, everything was junk.

Use the stator and flywheel of you 13. I put a 15 motor in a 12 and just swapped electrical from the 12 motor to the 15.

Premium Features