• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX Oil delete question...

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
So, I have a 14 pro-lite with the oil delete. Was going to have mmsports service it and do some clutching, but had a big job fall through, and am trying to save some money now.

My question is, what/where is the place I need to grease on the engine? Anybody that has done this please chime in and give me some directions on the easiest way to grease this. Also, what KIND of grease are you using and how much? Thanks for your help!!

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Anyone else?! BDX?? Is that the final answer, just don't worry about it? I thought I heard somewhere to grease once a year.

Cat man doo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2012
Did mine last year and greased when I did it. That's it. Good so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm running mine 32:1. 40:1 is recommended for the Bikeman 900, but I figured the little bit of extra oil can't hurt.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pro...njection-delete-instructions-m800-w-pics.html

I have never greased, gas oil mixture lubricates the water pump shaft. In any event, the grease will come out of the exhaust.
But, you can greasing if u want:face-icon-small-hap

When I did that writeup, I was on a 2012, where the lower frame didn't allow easy access to the banjo, if I were to do that again with a 13+ lower frame I'd put the Zerk directly in the banjo fitting hole.

If it came from BDX though, they don't grease, they just add oil at install, so it wouldn't be set up for grease. If you want to add it... easy as pie, if not, no big deal either.

Btw, using isoflex is a CRAZY way to do this... no reason you need to waste that kind of $$, NONE. It gets washed away with premix eventually, it's not there to live permanently like the doo setup.

Any time you grease... the sled smokes like bloody hell for a few min... showing clearly how porous the setup is in the cat... premix gets in there.

engine assembly grease if you want... but most of us just use lucas red or something basic.

Last edited:
N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
How are your powervalves looking at 32:1? I ran 40:1 last season on my prolite and the valves were nasty and stuck in pretty good and I used the APV. Anzi.. are you gonna grease or not? In the same boat myself, motor looks well oiled. Is there a grease fitting down there if we want to grease?

Last edited:

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
How are your powervalves looking at 32:1? I ran 40:1 last season on my prolite and the valves were nasty and stuck in pretty good and I used the APV. Anzi.. are you gonna grease or not? In the same boat myself, motor looks will oiled. Is there a grease fitting down there if we want to grease?

Switch to red line and those power valves will be squeaky clean! 1200 miles when I pulled mine out and they looked brand new.

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
When I did that writeup, I was on a 2012, where the lower frame didn't allow easy access to the banjo, if I were to do that again with a 13+ lower frame I'd put the Zerk directly in the banjo fitting hole.

If it came from BDX though, they don't grease, they just add oil at install, so it wouldn't be set up for grease. If you want to add it... easy as pie, if not, no big deal either.

Btw, using isoflex is a CRAZY way to do this... no reason you need to waste that kind of $$, NONE. It gets washed away with premix eventually, it's not there to live permanently like the doo setup.

Any time you grease... the sled smokes like bloody hell for a few min... showing clearly how porous the setup is in the cat... premix gets in there.

engine assembly grease if you want... but most of us just use lucas red or something basic.

The isoflex on my build was all leftovers and paid for by my friends when I had to piece there last 10-12 doo 800 motors back together, didn't cost me $0.01! Lol. No real smoke on first start up, was kinda surprised! And power valves are nice and clean at 32:1

S

shaun3232

Oct 6, 2011
My buddy mixes his summit 50:1 with amsoil dominator and never had a problem but we r flat landers and don't hold them wide open very long. 32:1 seems like a lot for what we do... ??

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I haven't pulled the powervalves on mine yet to look. Sled is still in storage. Probably will check them just because I am curious. I'm running the APV synthetic oil and haven't had any problems with it in my past sleds, but they all retained the oil injection. Cleaned valves every 1500miles or so in those sleds and they weren't stuck by any means. Have 564 on the pro-lite right now.

In general, riding style and RPMs play a big part in how clean the powervalves stay. The more time you spend in the upper RPMs where the powervalves are open, the longer they will stay clean. Any time they are closed in the low end and midrange they are exposed to having oil burnt on them. We cleaned quite a few in our shop for farmers and guys that used their sleds primarily on the flats for cruising around. So ride WFO to keep your valves clean :face-icon-small-win

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
I haven't pulled the powervalves on mine yet to look. Sled is still in storage. Probably will check them just because I am curious. I'm running the APV synthetic oil and haven't had any problems with it in my past sleds, but they all retained the oil injection. Cleaned valves every 1500miles or so in those sleds and they weren't stuck by any means. Have 564 on the pro-lite right now.

In general, riding style and RPMs play a big part in how clean the powervalves stay. The more time you spend in the upper RPMs where the powervalves are open, the longer they will stay clean. Any time they are closed in the low end and midrange they are exposed to having oil burnt on them. We cleaned quite a few in our shop for farmers and guys that used their sleds primarily on the flats for cruising around. So ride WFO to keep your valves clean :face-icon-small-win

Not a whole lotta cruising for me although the low elevation is where I spent the winter last year. WFO all the time would cost me a couple sets of pistons as I had a lot more trail miles than I wanted. Heading to Utah in Feb. can't wait.

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc
this might be a dumb question..... but I have read on sw a couple of times "oil makes power" when taking about the the 32:1 ratio. seems rich to me. can someone explain this theory? pls no hate mail! lol

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
this might be a dumb question..... but I have read on sw a couple of times "oil makes power" when taking about the the 32:1 ratio. seems rich to me. can someone explain this theory? pls no hate mail! lol

Oil makes dynamic compression, which = power. This is totally different from static compression which is what we generally measure.

Have you ever burned down a motor, then put a bunch of oil in the cylinder to seal it back up & get it to run home... similar action on the rings when running higher mix rates.

WHICH oil you use is a big factor though imo, oils that don't burn as well won't do as well in a thicker mix. Not a fan of APV at all myself, but cleaning PV's once a year is minimal... not worth complaining about I suppose.

If you're going to run mixes like 50:1, I'd make a point of greasing often... that's below recommended oil level for this setup, but if you grease and make sure the cavity is lubed, it takes a pretty long time for the fuel to wash away the grease (in 500 miles the cavity still shows signs of there being grease in there, so it's not like you need to grease each ride or something silly like that.) then not really a big deal.

Premium Features