• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 new vents and clutching

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If you have owned other brands and then switched to Doo, you would quickly realize that hot clutches are not normal and you will only leave performance on the table by simply taking the heat away rather than stop it from happening in the first place. Proper clutching needs very minimal cooling. If the G4 was getting the power to the snow it should have easily beat up on the Cat. In most cases this is has not happened.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We'll see. The new panel and secondary cover is a nice piece for some enterprising tinker'er to mount an electric fan to pull air up and out of the panel, too. BRP comes up with their share of new ideas, some of them actually work, maybe this will be another.

Yup
I can see that Aftermarket part coming SOON!:face-icon-small-hap

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Yup
I can see that Aftermarket part coming SOON!:face-icon-small-hap
We ran a dirtbike radiator fan in the left footwell on a G4 and Axys, both move a LOT of hot air. I can assure you the footwell has no problem with ice buildup unless it is VERY cold out. And as soon as you get out in more open terrain it all melts right off. Pretty wild how quick it melts off when your blown 100+ degree air out of it.

Even though Ski-Doo still needs to address the source of the heat, good airflow around clutches is never a bad idea. Even the best working sleds are going to make heat when things are being worked.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Exactly.

That heat is wasted energy.... and so is the energy used to cool them down.

If you have owned other brands and then switched to Doo, you would quickly realize that hot clutches are not normal and you will only leave performance on the table by simply taking the heat away rather than stop it from happening in the first place. Proper clutching needs very minimal cooling. If the G4 was getting the power to the snow it should have easily beat up on the Cat. In most cases this is has not happened.

DanoXRS

King Ding-aLing
Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'd bet it ice anyway to some degree unless you can heat the channel and have a drain port on the bottom.

IMHO a little venting experience with a 05-06 era 866cc engine.

Im gonna add velour vents on the top and a regular screen type across the side/bottom.

Gonna do similar on the exhaust side.

Plus drilled holes on the plastic belt cover.

Too bad we cant float the secondary BUT I read on here someone cut the channel on the shaft for secondary float?

Why can't we float the secondary?

Dano. :face-icon-small-coo

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Why can't we float the secondary?

Dano. :face-icon-small-coo

I have my sleds in storage far away. BUT if memory serves me correctly the secondary clutch is bolted in a fixed position on the shaft?

On Polaris you simply remove the spacers/washers "centering" clutch. The clutch would float compensating for belt deflection.

I think the SKIDOO shaft has little or no tolerance to let it float?

There is a discussion on here someone cut the spline on the shaft allowing float.

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
What is the reason for shrouding the clutches on all that extra plastic? When you open the panel on a Cat or Polaris the clutches are right there for all the world to see. It would seem to me, Doo is shooting themselves in the foot with the basic design.

They can patent that nonsense all day long because the others simply do not need it. Maybe exposing the clutches to more air would work, it seems to on the other brands.

It is a great thing to be an innovator but when it simply does not work, and is contrary to what does work, maybe it is time to swallow that pride and follow what really works for your customers. It seems so obvious that just unshrouding all of that would be an improvement in air flow and a simple weight reduction.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
What is the reason for shrouding the clutches on all that extra plastic? When you open the panel on a Cat or Polaris the clutches are right there for all the world to see. It would seem to me, Doo is shooting themselves in the foot with the basic design.

They can patent that nonsense all day long because the others simply do not need it. Maybe exposing the clutches to more air would work, it seems to on the other brands.

It is a great thing to be an innovator but when it simply does not work, and is contrary to what does work, maybe it is time to swallow that pride and follow what really works for your customers. It seems so obvious that just unshrouding all of that would be an improvement in air flow and a simple weight reduction.

Maybe Doo clutches are shy and feel naked when exposed!

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I have my sleds in storage far away. BUT if memory serves me correctly the secondary clutch is bolted in a fixed position on the shaft?

On Polaris you simply remove the spacers/washers "centering" clutch. The clutch would float compensating for belt deflection.

I think the SKIDOO shaft has little or no tolerance to let it float?

There is a discussion on here someone cut the spline on the shaft allowing float.

Yes, there are aftermarket splined shafts and machined secondary clutches that allow it to float. Will cost you about $400.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

The G4 is too enclosed, cats let alot of heat out up by the steering column, poos have vents on the hood. The G4 is the worst sled i have seen with heat evacuation, for some reason BRP wants the quietest sled on the market which in turn traps heat under the hood.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The G4 is too enclosed, cats let alot of heat out up by the steering column, poos have vents on the hood. The G4 is the worst sled i have seen with heat evacuation, for some reason BRP wants the quietest sled on the market which in turn traps heat under the hood.

But that is the real issue.
BRP has determined that their customers want a Mechanically Quiet sled. Nice exhaust note, but don't want to hear the clutches shifting back and forth.

Premium Features