• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GF/Wife Riding

D
Jan 23, 2011
How many of you got your SO out there on the snowbikes? GF always wanted a sled before when i sledded but now that i have made the jump a bike makes more sense, was thinking about grabbing a setup this year but we felt that was allot os decided to just get a bike in the late winter and prepped up for spring/summer riding and then look at doing a track kit for next winter.

problem i am having is whats a good bike? winter obviously she would be fine on a 450 to 500 4 stroke but thats a big bike in the summer. and dont want to buy 2 bikes!

kinda want to stay away from 2 stroke as a little more work in the winter time, also Estart is a MUST, leaning towards a wide ratio 450 at this point maybe detuned?

what are your thoughts? I havent heard great things about the DOHC 350s from KTm and Husky but maybe i just knew a few people with bad ones.

U
Sep 12, 2010
Search for good threads on starting your significant other on riding. Many folks get turned off by a frightening experience where they are not in control of the machine. For dirt, it could be best to progress from something short with an auto clutch to a real bike as skill and confidence build.

On the other hand, some folks can jump right to a 450.

(One of my sisters won't ride much after a significant low speed crash & injury)

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
How many of you got your SO out there on the snowbikes? GF always wanted a sled before when i sledded but now that i have made the jump a bike makes more sense, was thinking about grabbing a setup this year but we felt that was allot os decided to just get a bike in the late winter and prepped up for spring/summer riding and then look at doing a track kit for next winter.

problem i am having is whats a good bike? winter obviously she would be fine on a 450 to 500 4 stroke but thats a big bike in the summer. and dont want to buy 2 bikes!

kinda want to stay away from 2 stroke as a little more work in the winter time, also Estart is a MUST, leaning towards a wide ratio 450 at this point maybe detuned?

what are your thoughts? I havent heard great things about the DOHC 350s from KTm and Husky but maybe i just knew a few people with bad ones.

My wife hates the snowmobile loves the Snowbike... It's been great for her ... Go with something with electric start... She rides a cr500 ... I think on the snow bikes you really don't have to worry about them having too much power.. She can lug the cr500 forever... I bet it rarely sees 5 grand;) but she ways 125 pounds.. Summer bike she rocks a beta xtrainer 300 .. She lives that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
I went a little different direction. I bought a 450 xc-w as my woods bike, her snow bike. I ride a 450 CRF as my snow bike. When she wants to ride dirt. The power on the xc-w is way smooth. My wife has been riding for a while not a beginner by any means.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
To me the key is don't get something the scare her or you will be screwed.. And ride stuff that is on her respective level.. I see a lot of guys drag the significant others through stuff they shouldn't when they are learning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Had my 16yo daughter and 11yo boy riding my 15' husky 450 long track last week end. They did really well. Has a rekluse and that really helped. They both started riding bikes this summer so don't have a lot of time on them. The biggest fear for them was the bike is tall and they were afraid of tipping over. I think I'm going to try a short track on the husky 250 for them and see how that goes.

Premium Features