• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Improve on ProMountain, Nytro, Apex skids

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Anyone try a 153 Nytro skid in a Viper Mtn? I am considering swaping a ProMountain 144 to Nytro 153. Pros, cons. I know the ProMountain 144 has a lot of sag when sitting. It would seem we loose a lot of usefull suspension travel with just the amount of sag we have. It would appear that most skid upgrade suspensions are largely do to what they use for shocks as well as light weight parts and slight geometry changes. Can we get part way there by just a shock upgrade (ex.-Fox Floats)? What works and what doesn't?

So many questions, so little time!!!!

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
i believe anything is better than that pro action skid.

right now i'm running the MPI Transfer Enhancement kit, and just that alone made it a whole new sled.

best $50 i ever spent :rolleyes:

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
ProMountain was a change from the ProAction. Just looking for ways to improve without spending big bucks. Looking for experiences from others that have tried different things, including putting a Nytro skid in a Viper Mtn. That would take me to a 153. I have heard a 151 even helps on the Viper Mtn.

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
ProMountain was a change from the ProAction. Just looking for ways to improve without spending big bucks. Looking for experiences from others that have tried different things, including putting a Nytro skid in a Viper Mtn. That would take me to a 153. I have heard a 151 even helps on the Viper Mtn.

oh oops, sorry lol, dunno how that one got past me.

well let me know how things work out! i'd like to swap a different skid under my sled too.

T
I just installed a 08 nytro mtx skid in my 2000 mtn max, I used the factory stock holes in the front of the mtn max (to keep the approach angle the same) , and built new drop brackets in the back, NOTE installing the skid the way I did you will need to get a 159 track or shorten the rails in the back. It looks good, but when the snow fly's I will know if it was worth the 10# weght savings.

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Anyone put fox floats or similiar on a Promountain skid (Viper, Nytro, Apex)? I would only need rails to extend skid (144") on 05 Viper Mtn.

K
nytro skid in M.M.

I put a 08' Nytro skid in my 99' M.M.with a Elkolm tunnel and a 151" track. I had all of MPI light weight parts in my old skid along with the transfer kit. The Nytro skid with the wheels removed and ice scratchers is 2 lbs lighter than my old skid.
The biggest advantage I have found is how much better it rides and transfers in the snow. I copied the mounting points off of a Nytro and I had to move my rear suspension bracket. I had enough adjustment with the rear wheels to fit the 151" track. I found a new skid for $300 on the suspension forum.

Ever thought about a M series Cat Skid? I just installed a 153 M7 Skid, in my viper mtn (144), with relocated bracketry running a 162" track. Took about 10 hrs, including some light/fairly simple machining. The best part is not only do i have a skid that transfers, i saved about 30lbs in just the skid. The 153 skid is approx 47lbs..

350xryder

Aug 5, 2008
I going to install a nytro skid in 00 MM700 soon and would like any helpful hints. I most concerned with ride height and weight transfer. I plan on copying the nytro mounting points.

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Finally got the Nytro suspension in with a 153 x 15 x 2.25 x 3 pitch Cat takeoff installed. Here is what I found. Direct bolt in with the suspension. Changed to 3 pitch drivers with extros. When I pulled chaincase cover, I found out the magnet at the end of the oil dipstick had fallen off and got chewed up. Dirty oil and magnet shredded. I had to change top bearing (the one without the seals) in chaincase cover. Had to clip about 1/8 " off all the lugs to keep from hitting front cooler. Tinsnips work fairly well to snip off ends. 2" lug would have been better. Did not extend tunnel yet. After riding this weekend, a couple of issues. We had to put rear of suspension in lower hole on stock bracket. It wasn't quite enough unless I change in the tunnel extension. Track catches rear of tunnel and is close to the rear cooler when compressed. Set the suspension to hard to try to keep from bottoming, so ride was harsh and it still bottomed. Need to get tunnel problem solved to start playing with suspension settings. The good is, I can definately tell I have more track under me. I would have been stuck numerous times with the 144" vs the 153" in the snow we rode during the weekend. It bites better on hardpack too. I will try to post some pics when I get them taken.

Last edited:
Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
After closer inspection of skid, I believe if I take off the big wheel kit on rear of skid and return to stock wheels, I may have enough room to solve problem with hitting rear of tunnel. I should gain 1" of clearance by going back to stock rear wheels. Big wheel kit was from AC, so rails were slotted larger to make fit. I will have to get some larger bushings or AC bushing adjusters to fit slots in order to make stock rear wheels work.

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Got the stock rear wheels in. Made some bushings for the enlarged slots out of brass bushing stock so they would not rust. When the suspension is fully compressed it looks as though it will just tick the rear of the tunnel extension. Won't have time to do much more, as we leave for Island Park on Monday and still need to clutch and jet. Will give it a ride tomorrow and see if I still have a problem. May eventually have to go to different drop brackets or tunnel extension, just don't have the time right now.

dirtjumper- I did consider an AC skid and may end up there if this doesn't do what I want. If you have some pics or dimensions of relocated AC skid, the info would be appreciated by many. This just seemed the quickest easiest way to lengthen as I had access to the Nytro skid and looked like an easy bolt in. The only difference I can see between the 05 Viper Mtn and Nytro Mtn skids are the rails are longer and the spring may be different.

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Still not enough clearance to tunnel extension. Looks like I will have to do something with the drop brackets or tunnel extension. ARGGGGG!!!!!! I also notice a vibration when on the flipper hard. Thinking it may be the extros. Anyone pick up a slight vibration when switching to extros?

IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Still messing around with suspension. I built extensions for the drop brackets to lower it enough to miss the rear of the tunnel extension. Still not happy with the way it sits. I am beginning to see that the tunnel extension will have to be changed to allow things to fit the way they should. I have let out the front limiter straps as far as I can and the skid still does not sit the way I would like. It has to much pressure on the rear of the skid. It works, but just not the way I would like. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised when it hits the snow. When I find some time, I will begin working on the tunnel extension. I will have to ride like it is in IP this coming week and try to have the tunnel taken care of before Spring Break as we plan on riding again after a couple of days of sking at Bridger.

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Have had some time on the sled and want to give my current assessment. Climbs pretty good with the 153. Need a stronger rear spring because as it sits now, I bottom out too much and get beat to rubber leg street on the ungroomed trails. Still need to do the tunnel extension. I am torn on raising suspension back up into the tunnel after gaining the running board clearance and may see how a stiffer spring may help with the ride. I may try to get to the lower hole on the stock drop bracket if I can. Wish Yamaha would have put a tapered tunnel on the Viper MTN. If anyone else has done or tried this, PM me and we can compare notes.

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
I have a brand new hartman I can sell for $150.00 plus some shipping.. Did that skid bolt right in?

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
bolt in?

See post #11 about bolt-in. Here is a pic of how I temporarily dropped suspension.
Suspension swings slightly forward, hence the bolt position.

IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features