• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How dose "Hot pipe" or dragon ignition system work?

B
Aug 24, 2014
I just bought a 2010 IQR from a guy and am wondering how to work the dragon button on the left side of the handle bars? When he was showing the the sled he hit it as the kill switch and it shut off. Do you need to have the RPM up or did he wire it to be the mill switch because he dose not have a kill switch on the right side where there is usually one.

P.S I am new to IQR and any information would be awesome even if it's not relevant to my question. I'm trying and want to learn everything I can about the machine.

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
I would only use that if you are racing. you push the button and hold the throttle wide open to increase the pipe temp, the higher pipe temps make the sled run better right off the start line. however it is really hard on the reeds and can cause them to break, so use it sparingly.

Leftys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2010
Idaho
I don't speak from experience, as I have never been around one of these machines. As far as theory goes, if you retard the ignition timing enough with out throttle the engine will shut down at idle. By giving the engine throttle, the higher rpm and rotational mass of the engine and weight of the clutch keep it moving to be able to run at that ignition timing. If the engine were to stay running at that ignition timing, power would be very low and the engine would overheat and possibly have a mechanical failure. Hope this makes sense.

Sep 6, 2014
Manitoba Canada
It retards the timing, pushing raw fuel into the pipe and igniting it to make it hotter. He probably hooked up the dragon holeshot button as the kill switch because the factory kill switches look horrible

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
How can I make sure that's what he did I don't want to use it as a kill switch if it's the dragon button.

You can trace the wiring, or just press the button, if it shuts off like a kill switch, its a kill switch. If it stays running, and sounds different, its the dragon button.

Premium Features