• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys part 3

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Think they will separate the two even more? We all know long tracked trail sleds need gimmicks to make them dangle.

Just thinking out loud here...

Trail sled (Axys)--for those who never get off the trail.

Switchback ('tweener sled) and Assault (hill shooter)--I see the Midwest guys going this route. Works at home and still works for their couple of trips west each year.

RMK (narrow and light, purpose built boondocker)--for the guys who ride this more than 75% of the time.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
For more than a year now I've been hearing from a Polaris pro hill climber that there is a prototype chassis running around out there that is sub 400. It'd be nice if they got done testing it and it made it to the production floor.

Maybe MH is right - but I bet we don't see it this year since so far there's no push from the other manufacturers for Polaris to change their current offering. They will probably spend this year recouping more of their investment from the Pro chassis. Guess we'll find out Monday.

LED headlight, re-designed hood, more power from the 800, a few gadgets and some BNG. No new chassis, no new motor - not yet.

That's my prediction.

What's really funny is that if MH is right and Polaris comes out with a pure boondocker sled there will be all kinds of people coming on here and complaining about how poor it handles on the trail, how easy it gets hot when on the trail, etc. ! Because everyone will buy one but most people (myself included) don't actually purely boondock! If truth be told a lot of us would be better off riding a switchback!! LOL - and none of us will admit it!

HAHA, I made my previous post before I read this...looks like we are thinking the same thing.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Does the crew at Roseau know we don't live forever!

MH you use that "narrow" term a lot now. You use the "mountain horse" a lot too lol.

So,,, will it come with a side stand. Can I get rid of the ramp and load it like my "bike". Another year or two!!!? Dang.

I never thought much about it before but I'm all for "subdividing" the mountain sleds now.
The remaining trail part of the standard sled layout is holding technology back for me. I mean you could take a 93 Exciter ST chassis and but in a big engine, a 174 3" with suspension to match and have darn good point and shoot machine for those that ride groomed trails to the top.
Right now you still need at least 4' of width and 12' to 14' of distance between the trees to ride an off the floor machine. Most pick an 800 because there is no disadvantage over a 600 and no advantage for picking a 600.

It may be nice to have the sled selection the flat landers get. Just different.

14', 42" stance, 1000 cc (or turbo cause the alpine is high lol), 14 gallons, 480 lb. 12', 40" stance, 800 cc, 12 gallons, 410 lbs, cause some like it just as it is. 9', 30" stance, 600cc, 8 gallons, 360 lbs cause some would like to jump off the trail right at the trucks.

.[/QUOTE]

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Does the crew at Roseau know we don't live forever!

MH you use that "narrow" term a lot now. You use the "mountain horse" a lot too lol.

So,,, will it come with a side stand. Can I get rid of the ramp and load it like my "bike". Another year or two!!!? Dang.

I never thought much about it before but I'm all for "subdividing" the mountain sleds now.
The remaining trail part of the standard sled layout is holding technology back for me. I mean you could take a 93 Exciter ST chassis and but in a big engine, a 174 3" with suspension to match and have darn good point and shoot machine for those that ride groomed trails to the top.
Right now you still need at least 4' of width and 12' to 14' of distance between the trees to ride an off the floor machine. Most pick an 800 because there is no disadvantage over a 600 and no advantage for picking a 600.

It may be nice to have the sled selection the flat landers get. Just different.

14', 42" stance, 1000 cc (or turbo cause the alpine is high lol), 14 gallons, 480 lb. 12', 40" stance, 800 cc, 12 gallons, 410 lbs, cause some like it just as it is. 9', 30" stance, 600cc, 8 gallons, 360 lbs cause some would like to jump off the trail right at the trucks.

[/QUOTE]

Geo,
I think you are onto something here. The other day I was thinking to myself "those snowbiles are so freaking narrow, only like 20" or so. I wish my sled was moving in that direction." The only way it can be done is to narrow the track (think firecat) problem was the sled was too heavy for so little footprint. Now think ProRMK technology. Polaris is doing a great job of making these sleds lighter. Narrow the track, tunnel, bulkhead, stance, etc. Drop smaller motor hopefully with boost in the sled. Have it tip the scales at 360-370 and we would really have a fun ride.
For the high elevation big country shooters long track a rush-like chassis and give them some ponies.

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
I wish they would make a pure mountain sled from the factory. I wouldn't care if it didn't handle good on the trail because I just ride the trail to get up there. I would pay 2000-3000 more for a purpose built mountain sled. Better shocks, some light weight parts, narrow stance, better handle bars, and a high hp high elevation mountain motor. But that wouldn't appeal to the masses I guess

K
Sep 30, 2009
Geo,
I think you are onto something here. The other day I was thinking to myself "those snowbiles are so freaking narrow, only like 20" or so. I wish my sled was moving in that direction." The only way it can be done is to narrow the track (think firecat) problem was the sled was too heavy for so little footprint. Now think ProRMK technology. Polaris is doing a great job of making these sleds lighter. Narrow the track, tunnel, bulkhead, stance, etc. Drop smaller motor hopefully with boost in the sled. Have it tip the scales at 360-370 and we would really have a fun ride.
For the high elevation big country shooters long track a rush-like chassis and give them some ponies.

At what point do you start to sacrifice durability for lightness? I don't think they need to get any lighter then they are already. Heavier guys are already having a few issues with things bending. I think polaris needs a stronger engine/more hp. Other than that, they dont need to change a thing. Arctic Cat has an awesome sled in the ProClimb. Amazing motor, just need to lighten up on their weight and I think theyre at a point where they dont need to change then.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
Geo,

At what point do you start to sacrifice durability for lightness? I don't think they need to get any lighter then they are already. Heavier guys are already having a few issues with things bending. I think polaris needs a stronger engine/more hp. Other than that, they dont need to change a thing. Arctic Cat has an awesome sled in the ProClimb. Amazing motor, just need to lighten up on their weight and I think theyre at a point where they dont need to change then.

The sleds are built for deep snow mountain riding so if you ride them the way they are designed you won't have issues. If you wanna ride in the flat lands and jump things and land flat on rock hard snow get an assault. And the pros aren't weak, they have the strongest but lightest bulk head out there, their a arms are strong, suspension is strong minus the crappy shocks. I do think they should put a better plate on the front of the tunnel though it would only add a pound or so. The assaults have a better plate there

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I wish they would make a pure mountain sled from the factory. I wouldn't care if it didn't handle good on the trail because I just ride the trail to get up there. I would pay 2000-3000 more for a purpose built mountain sled. Better shocks, some light weight parts, narrow stance, better handle bars, and a high hp high elevation mountain motor. But that wouldn't appeal to the masses I guess

Funny you say that....

In 2001, when our brand new RMKs cost about $8500, we rebuilt the piss out of our sleds and easily spent an extra $8k+ to get something like we have now. But our modern Pro is still 40lbs lighter than we could achieve back in 2001.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
First; somebody will bend or break anything. You know, "never saw that before" lol.

Second;weight is kinda a "catch 22". Meaning heavier and power requires more strength and weight if all else is equal.

I rode bikes (look where they have gone) in the dirt a long time. I rode every class at one time or another and pretty much every form of the sport at every level as I grew up. Many times the 125's set quicker lap times than the open bikes.
A motocrosser can be much lighter than a 6 day bike and be dependable for that sport. A 125 can be much lighter than a 500 and be dependable in that class.
An example of one part, the rear wheel. If you build a "racer" lol with a 125 for motocross. First the tire can be skinnier, then the rim is skinnier and lighter gauge, aluminum nipples, smaller gauge spokes, to a thinner hub with smaller brakes, with an aluminum 425 sprocket, held with 3 aluminum bolts to skinny swing arm with a very hollow axle.
For 6 day set up you would need to go to a sturdier rim , steel nipples, probably run 520 chain so sprocket too with steel bolts and less "skinny" swing arm and less hollow axle.

Put the above rim an a 250, first you need fatter tire and rim, but you might make a whole race if you keep an eye on it but who wants a DNF and a big hurt lol. Put it on a 500 open bike and you'll break it in the first lap.

Getting back to sleds. One chassis fits all for most. Build a bigger motor (add power) and that chassis has to be strong enough for that power with the longest track (weight and load) you provide. Has to be 6 day tough too because sleds have never been offered "for off road use only" with 30 day warranty or less.
Then you drop in your 800 and power to weight goes down. Then you drop in the 600 for the girls lol and you have the 1000 for the young and restless or people who ride at higher elevations than I need to go to fly over the mountains I ride in.

Things could be much lighter IMO. Tough enough? I'd make do. somehow lol.

If your starting from scratch Polaris, re-inventing things (about time IMO). Make a 600 sled in a 600 chassis with a 600 track first. Otherwise 600's will always be a girls sled.

Premium Features