• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 it's coming!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Seems to be competitive with the 850 all they have to do is stay running. Have never seen so many complaints about a first year sled ever. I'd rather have a sled I know I can count on ride after ride than one that I have to worry every ride if this is the time it's not coming back:) Wouldn't have bought one this year because it is a first year sled, and after all the problems would not buy one next year until they can prove they can make it reliable. Was the end of the world when the 12 Cats were blowing belts, Doo has surpassed that problem by a huge margin with the G4.

Last edited:

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Weight

There's a lots of places cat could shave some weight off these sleds without making the chassis weak.
Belt drive.
Exhaust pipe and muffler
Body panels
Air intake
Head light
Suspension
Steering
Motor. But I'd hate to see them make that to light and lose the reliability.
I think cats sleds could be close to the lightest of the three and still be very strong.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
ya the hood you can get 5-10 lbs right there along with a belt drive with a plastic oil tank with 1/3 less oil capacity. who needs to have 1 gallon of oil on the sled. i know the motor is a bit heaver than the the poo (10 lbs) but it's not a place i would like to give up weight over durability. so many proven 900-950 kits that will work on the 800 bottom end offer each size 800/900.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Had a sled weigh off a few weeks back and my 162 2.6" track pro-lite cat is 539lb with the big trail tank full, tool kit, muff pot, spare belt for the clutches and spare belt drive belt. Tool kit and belts were worth 5lb if you take them off. That's with premium shocks up front, PP skis, big bumper, HCR rail braces, and heavier duty handle bars. For comparison a 155 2.6 Axys was 506 full of fuel and had raptor shocks all around, chromoly a-arms, SLP exhaust and a front bumper I think. Take out my extra 2 gallons of fuel and we're within 20lb. There's probably a 5lb difference in track length plus whatever the extra motor weight is these days.

I have beat on my sled pretty good the last three years and have been slowly weeding out the weak points. Pretty sure I would have folded a pro or axys by now. Recently just found out lightweight skid parts aren't for me. So if Cat can find a way to shed some more lbs out of the intake, body work, and motor while still keeping the chassis as tough as it is I'm ok with it. I'm like everyone else though and if they cut down on the motor it better still be as kick-a$$ as the one we have now.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
these sleds sure are light with the hood and side panels off...
not like they are long in the nose compared to the other makes, but when you take the hood off and see that bumper hanging way out there that shows a lot of room for improvement right there, i think skinz saw that too.

jonsonfire81

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2009
Iowa
Seems to be competitive with the 850 all they have to do is stay running. Have never seen so many complaints about a first year sled ever. I'd rather have a sled I know I can count on ride after ride than one that I have to worry every ride if this is the time it's not coming back:) Wouldn't have bought one this year because it is a first year sled, and after all the problems would not buy one next year until they can prove they can make it reliable. Was the end of the world when the 12 Cats were blowing belts, Doo has surpassed that problem by a huge margin with the G4.

The reason for the complaints is because Doo owners are used to a higher overall quality of products than cat owners, they all have problems.
Now as far as belt problems the 850 doo has already outsold the proclimb that has been out for 6 years! Cat can't give away 14' and 15' hold overs that dealers still have. 12' and 13' used cats are dirt cheep.
Cheers anyway! Hope your next chassis can keep up

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
The reason for the complaints is because Doo owners are used to a higher overall quality of products than cat owners, they all have problems.
Now as far as belt problems the 850 doo has already outsold the proclimb that has been out for 6 years! Cat can't give away 14' and 15' hold overs that dealers still have. 12' and 13' used cats are dirt cheep.

Nope , the reason for the complaints is the thing has a ton of issues , and belt life is one of the smaller ones. I'm starting to wonder about the motor also, so much variance in oil consumption, (or A bunch of Doo-tards are BS'ing) and lately been hearing of a few more motor problems, hope not. Gonna be a lot of 2017 G4's for sale cheap soon.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Really

You must have forgotten all about doo's past clutching/belt problems and crank and motor problems. Never mind all the brace kits sold to stregthen the chassis. I haven't forgot!

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
Back to the original topic of this thread....

I was told by my dealer yesterday that there is going to be a new 865 cc motor AND a new chassis next year.... We shall see.

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
I hope they do come out with something excellent.
It took them 6 model years to get the Pro-Climb great with the Mtn Cat and even still Cat is fighting a stigma from that flop release in 12.
A show stopper would put them back on the top of the market as they were with the M series up thru 11

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada

I'll be surprised if we see a new motor and a new chassis in the same year.
You'd think they'd take advantage of the hype the mountain cat has and expand the line up to that platform.
If so.
Maybe there'll only be one model and it'll take the place of the mountain cat.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
You'd think they'd take advantage of the hype the mountain cat has and expand the line up to that platform.
If so.

The New Plastics, LED lighting, Mtn cat exclusive features expanded, some weight savings, and a new 800 class motor sounds really nice.
Dealer meetings are in Minneapolis with demo rides around St Paul I believe, so hopefully that means something new is coming. It's been tough with cat the last several years, this is a pivot point, and they need a home run.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
The New Plastics, LED lighting, Mtn cat exclusive features expanded, some weight savings, and a new 800 class motor sounds really nice.
Dealer meetings are in Minneapolis with demo rides around St Paul I believe, so hopefully that means something new is coming. It's been tough with cat the last several years, this is a pivot point, and they need a home run.

If the dealer show is in Minny. then I think your going to see the new motor. Guess I'll be eating my words or that means the new Wildcat motor is a Yammie! We will soon know, should be exciting!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
If so.

Think maybe they wanted to test the Mountain Cat setup for a year before they totally went that way. Would be surprised next year if the whole mountain lineup wasn't just Mountain Cats.

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008

There will be a new 2 stroke engine! I hope they find a way to loose some weight too, does anyone remember the patent drawings of the single rail (Camso) snowbike rear end on the pro-climb? They need weight loss on the front end, so I hope they have a new body.

My wish list

-MVM Belt drive from factory -10lbs
-Skinz Helium hood setup (super skinny plastics) -20lbs
-lighter weight 2 stroke only front bulkhead -5lbs
-better skis
-lighter smaller snowflap/plastics -5lbs
-40lbs total would be a great start:face-icon-small-hap

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008

February 26th-March 1st in Minneapolis, cat told us back in July this is going to be the biggest product launch in 20 years! They said new engine and they were pretty tight lipped about what else they have coming?? Can't wait until then, they are giving factory tours and demo rides of the new product

Premium Features