• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker kit for AXYS

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
That's not the vid. It was a 30 second clip or so, and it was on a Axys. It was pretty impressive. I spent a hour looking for it again one afternoon. I cant find it anywhere. The vid was up only a few days after Haydays.

I understand where you are coming from, but the base kit isn't intended for the guy that wants to make the Avalanche 1 highlight real.(sorry, maybe that's a low blow) Its intended for the guys that want to have a tree ripper.

Plus just something to think about. Your probably gaining 2lbs of boost or more with the new motor. Just some base numbers... if the motor is 160 and you add 7lbs of boost, rough numbers.. 60-70 horse. That 7lb base kit is going to get you up in the 210-230 rangeish maybe. Your Pro was around 140, and would take about 10lbs of boost to match that. The weight reduction and "snowmobility" of the Axys. 7lbs you will have a beast. It will take most of us anywhere we want to go.

I think the no fuel controller is a bonus for most customers... and for BD. No phone calls... "Hey Pete, where should my numbers be"

I understand, some guys regardless want the 14lb, tear the skin of my face, white knuckle pull. IMO, that type of sled is a blast to ride, but not always practical. I have conversations all the time, the owner says their sled rips, and his buddies say it is horrible. Its personal preference.

I think the base kit is catered to the average person.

Yes, I was merely stating that the price didn't actually drop any your just getting less with the base kit now.

But for conversation sake I'll bite.... First, not a low blow haha I have actually gotten into mainly ripping the trees lately anyway and having more fun at it. Second this spring I plan on snow checking an Axys but I am looking for a more affordable option, paying 25k for a sled and then 2 years later you can't get 10k for it is ridiculous.
I would love to ride the base kit and see how it goes, But you might be disappointed. I think your dreaming if your planning on 60-70hp out of 6psi with a disco potato, stock injectors, no intercooler on pump fuel. In reality I think 40hp is gonna be stretching it.
For 4 grand the only thing your really gaining is a little top end power and losing some reliability, throttle response, gaining some weight not sure its worth it.

I don't know though it might be a blast to ride and all a guy needs, but I always find myself wanting more haha:face-icon-small-hap I thought mine was good last year then I rode EDavis's sled with the W/A intercooler and 11.5psi and didn't want to ride mine anymore:face-icon-small-hap I always hear "thats too much power for tree riding" ummmm thats what the throttles for dude you don't want it all don't put the throttle to the bars. Get into 3ft of powder or a big long pull or in a bad spot when you need it all clamp it to the bars and giggle in your helmet the whole time:face-icon-small-hap

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
:face-icon-small-ton

Not sure where you got the 8600-8800rpm? The 8150-8250 is still the ideal RPM for power. Engines would be popping left and right if they were running 8800rpm.

The base is very similar to my first turbo, 6-8lbs depending on elevation. Very manageable power to get your feet wet in the turbo world and can be easily upgraded when ready. I ran a non-intercooler Tial GT on 8lbs and it was so snappy on the bottom, I almost want to go back for this year when snow isn't 3ft of fresh. At this point there was no bullydog or reflash and the box just worked fine. I think if properly setup, it will be that extra umpth to ditch your buddy's in the trees.

This year will be arm wrenching at 12lbs with the new engine. Looking forward to white rooms with white knuckles:face-icon-small-ton

Meh WTH you might as well have Erik build ya two while he's at it, one for marginal snow and the other for good snow:face-icon-small-win besides it will make a nice spare sled when I come out this year and wrap mine around a tree:face-icon-small-hap

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
"40 hp... Only a little top end power" LOL. Looking like a pretty good bang for the buck to me.

Snowmow, I remember when that video came out, supposedly the wining was the belt drive, not a supercharger.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I would love to ride the base kit and see how it goes, But you might be disappointed. I think your dreaming if your planning on 60-70hp out of 6psi with a disco potato, stock injectors, no intercooler on pump fuel. In reality I think 40hp is gonna be stretching it.
For 4 grand the only thing your really gaining is a little top end power and losing some reliability, throttle response, gaining some weight not sure its worth it.

you may be right, its hard to say until they come into market. I know there is a lot of the pro/vid riders, that's all they run is the base kit or what has been in the base kit in the past. What I am hearing from the guys that have rode it on the Axys is, that you wont need the big boost numbers with the new sled and new kit.

Maybe you are being a little harsh, and I am being a little optimistic. I was told it was a 7lb kit. Usually you can figure 8-10 hp, per lb of boost. That number came from before days of injectors and fuel controllers.

I love boost as much as anyone... used to be turn it up, turn it up. Someday you have to turn it down, and learn to ride better. I just don't feel the need for the 12-14 lb, white knuckle, nuts in my throat, Tasmanian Devil boost anymore...

Everyone wants something different. Boy, have I learned that this summer. Everyone wants their turbo sleds to react different, build boost different, clutch different, ext.... I think this will appeal to a 50-60-70% of people and the rest will think its worthless. Personal preference.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
"40 hp... Only a little top end power" LOL. Looking like a pretty good bang for the buck to me.

Snowmow, I remember when that video came out, supposedly the wining was the belt drive, not a supercharger.

Luckily there are also other options :biggrin1: For $1000 less than the "budget" kit you can get a standard kit which includes everything to run 10-12 pounds or pump gas. For $500 less that the "budget" pump gas kit you can get a full blown external wastegate kit and for $250 more you get an External kit with W/A intercooler.

Options are great for the end user and their pocketbook:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:

snowjunkie82

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
This IS the video I was referring to.

Doesn't sound normal to me.

I believe that was the sled he knocked the intake off and sucked some debis through the turbo. Said it affected the bottom end performance, but figured it added some on the top end.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I believe that was the sled he knocked the intake off and sucked some debis through the turbo. Said it affected the bottom end performance, but figured it added some on the top end.

2d058b016b2588897ee878e5198e9675.jpg

snowjunkie82

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
I know. Sounds far fetched, but ask him. He figured it was a piece of ice or snow that bent some of the impeller blades because it only damaged the cartridge on the turbo and didn't hurt the motor.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I know. Sounds far fetched, but ask him. He figured it was a piece of ice or snow that bent some of the impeller blades because it only damaged the cartridge on the turbo and didn't hurt the motor.

Just went out to the garage and tossed ice cubes down the Intake while the wife held it wide open. For some Reason my sled now sounds Like my lawn mower. Not a supercharged 800 twin. Wtf!!?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here is another pic I found on the web tonight when checking out the Zollinger Racing Products website.

It's on a RUSH... but a different look all together... wondering if this is part of the new offering in the mountain segment also?

attachment.php

SNOWMOBILE+2.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
MH, that's got an alum fuel tank. Full tank replacement.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I saw that.. I was focused more on the intercooler, fresh air intake and side dump wastegate....

I can see it's some kind of a race machine... but are those parts in the upgrades?

No info from BD this season yet.

The details we are seeing from Silber and some others looks promising for this season though.

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Still works for me.... I'm going with deer whistles for sure lol

Premium Features