• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil Bolts

K

kobylka18

Oct 20, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Hello, I am sure this question has been asked but the search function does not seem to be working and keeps showing an error. The recoil on my 2014 PRO RMK sometimes catches and sometimes doesnt to start the sled so I am trying to take the recoil out to see what is going on. But my question is how do you get the bottom two bolts out to get the recoil off?

Last edited:

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Cut the correct size L allen wrench to be a straight or just buy one I believe you want the ball end but doing it this way you can get on there straight so not a must and use the appropriate sized box wrench to turn. This is the quickest easiest and smallest tool assembly that 1 person in our group always carries now.
Otherwise you can custom bend a allen T handle or use a combo of a 1/4 drive ball end allen attached to a wobble/swivel to 1/4 ratchet

Never loosened motor mounts..... with the allen and wrench setup its a 10 min job until you drop any tools to fish out

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
rick5150 nailed it.

God made magnets to fetch dropped parts. Third hands for non-ferrous.

You probably know this, but you can start a sled off the primary, too, out on the trail. Rope in kit, spin it by hand (very easy on an etec), sacrifice a starter rope if in a jam. FWIW.

Last edited:

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Betting the trouble is caused by to much grease under dog cover inside recoil. Carefully remove nut and cover or you will end up with the recoil spring flying out at great speed. Wipe grease off of dog and inside cover. Re-install cover and test operate recoil before re-installing.

K

kobylka18

Oct 20, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks for all the information. Ya I believe it is just a build up of grease and debris as well as I do have electric start and never used the pull cord for the first year. Then when the battery failed I found out I had this issue. I since have a new battery just want to make sure the pull rope is functioning if I ever need to use it again.

Premium Features