• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo not starting after running

C

Ckale

Nov 20, 2011
Buena Vista, CO
Having an interesting problem. I recently installed a 2012 Silber kit on my 2011 pro, went pretty smooth. Set up my clutching and programmer settings as Corey at Next Level Powersports reccomended.

Yesterday, took it for a rip around the yard, had no problems.

Took it up on the mountain today, rode for around 10 minutes or so, seemed to be working great, good afr numbers, etc. Decided to stop and open up the panels just to be safe and ensure nothing was leaking, stuff like that. Turned the sled off.

After only a minute or so, went to start the sled (of course still warm), wouldn't start. Pulled the plugs, had spark. Like it was not getting fuel. Tried quite a few more times to start it with no success. Got towed back to the trailer.

Upon getting home, took it apart, checked all connections, everything still connected fine. Tried unplugging the programmer and plugging in the stock injector configuration, still no luck. Ended up unplugging the fuel pump plug, and hooking it up to a 12v battery, immediately heard it working, and ran it for a few seconds, before plugging it back into the normal location. Also plugged programmer back in.

Sled started right up! tested it 4 or 5 more times, and took it for a spin around the yard again. Ran fine, pulled it back into the garage. Immediately started it again, started right up. Let it sit for a minute, same problem, will not start again.

This has me stumped, any input? Thanks

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Well this is the first time I have heard this one.

I am leaning towards Regulator/Rectifier/Capacitor

I cant remember if the Reg and Rec were together on the 11 or not.

I would first think capacitor as it holds the charge to get the pump going before it starts but usually will also not allow the sled to move when it is bad but who knows.

I have heard of the wire going bad as well between these and the pump but would think this would cause you issues while riding as this seams not to be your case.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Test to see if your getting power to the fuel pump while pulling it over...

Of course try this only when the sled is not starting.

Hahahahaha

C

Ckale

Nov 20, 2011
Buena Vista, CO
Yes still have stock headlight.

Just tested the power to the pump while pulling the sled over and it is definitely working.

Got the sled to start again just now after sitting about an hour or so, but had to hold the throttle wide open. Kind of acting like it floods? Rode it around for a few minutes again, letting it sit for a while before I try it again.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Odessa, WA
I have a 2012 kit on 2011 pro and also had this problem. First half of the day started right up. Then second half every time I'd stop I'd have to hold throttle wide open for it to start. My center section in getting some blow by so I didn't know if that was problem or not... Interesting u have same problem?

C

Ckale

Nov 20, 2011
Buena Vista, CO
Ive done some reading on reeds with turbos in the past, the conclusion is that the most economical option is Boyesen superstock reeds. Only problem is that they do not offer superstocks for the 2011+ CFI engines, but they do offer them for the 08-10 CFI's, is there any difference between the two?

C

Ckale

Nov 20, 2011
Buena Vista, CO
I have a 2012 kit on 2011 pro and also had this problem. First half of the day started right up. Then second half every time I'd stop I'd have to hold throttle wide open for it to start. My center section in getting some blow by so I didn't know if that was problem or not... Interesting u have same problem?

Where exactly were you getting the blow-by?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Odessa, WA
Call boysen direct cuz I thought same thing when I went to order reeds and they are the same reeds but on website don't go past 10 also they make a super stock turbo reed which is .022 thick instead of .02 I believe so u don't get chatter at wot... Just a thought I'm no expert...

P
Nov 28, 2007
Odessa, WA
I had oil coming out of exhaust side and intake side. Oil was in charge tube, air box, and intake tube so I figured its wore out because if it was just a bad vent cap it wouldn't use as much oil as I used. I pry burnt 12-16 oz of oil. Had to add oil throughout day to keep tank full.. I have the 2013 oil tank on 2012 kit.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Mine will do this if I ride and shut it off right away. just let it idle for 15-20 seconds and no problems. I suspect that the cases get loaded and its similar to being flooded therefore the need to crack the throttle and move more air. Could be reeds I don't know. Its never been a big enough problem

C

Ckale

Nov 20, 2011
Buena Vista, CO
Ah, maybe this was my problem. I did not let it idle for that long before shutting it off. I will take it out tomorrow and try that. I'll probably order some reeds too, good to have on hand if these bite the bullet.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Never had a issue with shutting off a sled to soon. .. First for everything. .

Last edited:
C

Ckale

Nov 20, 2011
Buena Vista, CO
The idle idea adds some sense to the patterns I'm seeing with starting/not starting, seems to be some correlation. I'm gonna order reeds though, probably get them in asap.

Would you guys agree with po-dunk on calling Boyesen and getting the .022 turbo reeds?

Like I said, their website does not show a 2011+ superstock option, only 08-10.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Not sure on thickness but the do make reeds for the pro.. I just use stock ones but the Boyseens are cheaper I guess

Premium Features