• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HM Turbo Days ---> Thumbs up!!

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
Hey there was a 600 turbo there right? What did you guys think of it?

It definately doesn't have the arm ripping power of the 800's, but it was pretty sweet. I was ran strong. It would be a pretty fun tree riding sled. I thought it "felt" lighter than the 800's.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
hmm. Thanks for the feedback. It's an idea I've been toying with lately. The 800's just worry me as far as reliability goes and I've always had good luck with 600's, but they were at lower elevations not 10k' like out here. Reliability is a new found concern for me out here where towing out isn't as easy as where I grew up on trails... The reliability side of things would really be the only reason I'd consider a Vipec or Boost it controller as well. I was happy with my dobeck box right up until it started malfunctioning....

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
The 600 turbo was a fun little sled. As you expect it was down on power compared to the 800 turbos, and it was running lower boost and pump gas. The response was good and felt very similar to the 800 setups. I would be interested to see how the 600 does up really high (10000+) as we were testing the sleds around 6k. I think they would be really fun tree sleds, and make great power at altitude compared to a stock 800.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
The 600 turbo was a fun little sled. As you expect it was down on power compared to the 800 turbos, and it was running lower boost and pump gas. The response was good and felt very similar to the 800 setups. I would be interested to see how the 600 does up really high (10000+) as we were testing the sleds around 6k. I think they would be really fun tree sleds, and make great power at altitude compared to a stock 800.

Did they mention how they did at higher boost numbers? I'm ok with running avgas to make the fun meter go up!!! What was it running for boost on pump gas?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
The 600 I rode was a non-intercooled aero 53 on 5 p.s.i. It would have probably felt better if I wasn't used to my M8 at 8-9 psi. I don't know what the limits are boost wise with the 53 and elevation. I would call him for those stats. I am sure he would be more than willing to fill you in with the FACTS.

S

subman

Nov 26, 2007
www.subway.com
turbo days

thanks to shane at hm turbos for a awesome day and thanks to jake from mild to wild. the hm turbos with the vipec ran all day crisp throttle response you can get in and out of the throttle and no sputtering at all these kits work. the vipec works great you need to ride one and you will see.thanks shane and jake for all your hard work on sat. mark

P

polhiker

Nov 2, 2002
Chinook,montana
nice pics even a couple of me in there as stated above shane is a stand up guy everyone had a great time,thanks again shane cant waite till next year.Oh ya and LumberJacks was awsome!!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Shane's kits are $6500 for the turbo kit + $2000(ish) for the Vipec = ~$8500(ouch).

They're sweet, but your gonna pay

Is that what a guy will end up having into other brand set-ups once they buy the extra add-ons like guages and other extras?

Last edited:
J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Is that what a guy will end up having into other brand set-ups once they buy the extra add-ons like guages and other extras?

I don't believe so. Most kits now BD, silber, etc. include the gauges you need along with clutching. Also depends on what all you want in a kit, do you want an air/water intercooler etc.

HM kits are $6k or $6500 depending on no intercooler vs intercooler. And if you go vipec its another $2k unless Shane is working a deal to include it in the kit for less next season.

Other kits range: BD are $4700 no intercooler or $5800 with intercooler plus the gauges, and if you wanted to mate a vipec onto it then another $2k. Silber are $4600 including all gauges no intercooler, and if you add vipec again its $2k on top. I personally have the silber kit but added a boost-it controller to it for $1100 and to me is what was missing on the silber kit simply because my dobeck box failed and didn't want to deal with that box anymore.

So there are options and I know the vipec is supposed to work on all sleds just a matter of fine tuning them, or you could go a boost-it route if you have the secondary injectors.

I would say the $8500 is a bit on the steep side, but have only heard good things from HMturbos.

Will be an interesting year next year.

R

River Ratt

Oct 27, 2008
Markerville AB
I was there and really enjoyed the hospitality of Shane and his crew, It's really sad there had to be all the Bashing on this forum, Shane was good enough to let us ride the **** out of all his sleds, and cook us burgers. I personally was impressed the performace of his sleds that were on Pump gas, I know the Silber was on 100LL and the Twisted guys on C12. It's too bad the snow was so set up, because it's really hard to get a good comparison. I really like the water to air intercooler, and I'm sure in big powder snow is were this kit will really shine. Thanks for the Great day Shane, and I'll be talking with you soon. And everybody else; just try and get along in The Big White Sandbox !!
Gary

Premium Features