• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tuning in the Vipec on Skadi's sled

Status
Not open for further replies.

08nytromtxa

Dec 17, 2007
tisdale saskatchewan
what happens when conditions change and you have been data logging all day and your labtop battery dies... can vipec charge the labtop?? or do you just call it a day because your a/fs are all over.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
Ok, here is the deal... the amount of tuning we had to do was FAR above and beyond I think the general public will need to do... We bought this product before a map was built for it and had to spend time building maps. The goal, as I understand it, is that maps will already be built for most people... unless they have some very different configuration and then, well, they probably know a lot about this kinda stuff and know they have a little extra work cut out for them!

We spent 2 half days in the field and 2 half days on the mtn tuning and building our maps from what was pretty much scratch. If you have a normal turbo sled I think the plan is to have a map already built for you that you just have to 'fine tune'. Fine tuning is very basic... I'm not sure if they plan to do it or if they plan to teach the general public to do it or teach their dealers to do it. The map that the general public should be about ready to go and you can ride for the day on it as is (of course, it would be smart to test it out quickly before you plan to go for some killer ride!) The idea as I understand it is that you hit log on your computer a few times during that day. You don't have to be logging all day, in fact that is NOT desired. If there is a lean or rich spot it will show up very quickly if you do one pull and really work the throttle through the range and different configurations. Then you fix that map (can even do it later that day in the comfort of your home if it's running close enough just not SPOT on) and load it up the next day and go out!!!

What we haven't gotten to see yet is if this map truely is consistent from riding area to riding area, day in and day out. Only time and multiple kits running will tell that.

We fought our own battle because we bought it in parts and pieces (no kit so we had to do all the wiring and that was a nightmare -who knew it would be so tough to find that perfect gauge wiring??!!) However, I have given this feedback to Jake and I think he was already planning on selling to his customers as a KIT with all the ends made up and the wiring that was needed in included. I'm not sure though... Like I said, we also fought MUCH more of a tuning battle than most of you will face... once these maps are created they're pretty plug and go, we were send the pump gas map for our sled and it seemed just about SPOT ON, maybe a tiny bit rich on the bottom but we were fine with that for a few days while we weened if off 100% av (there was still a little bit of av gas in the fuel too so didn't want to judge the tune until we knew we were clear of that... Plus... my electrical issues! I think there was one spot that was rich enough to make it stutter for a second but it always recovered VERY quickly! The electrical was still making the sled shut off on me and even shut down power to the sled when I was under full load (really odd there and we're scratching our heads over it!!).

Now, the few things I would like to see before I think this really is a great product and ready for the masses are this:

1. It really needs to be a kit. There can be one or two sensors missing from the kit if there is something that a lot of people might already have and not need, we needed everything so it meant we had to make up a lot of connectors and wires and that just leaves room for error! (and confusion!) Plus some of the connectors that were easy for other people to find I had to go to a specialty fitting store to find!

2. Unless you're willing to build a map from the ground up and possibly risk doing some damage to your machine I suggest you make sure a map is already built for your machine before you buy. This IS in the works so just ask and be patient if it's not (or be willing to undertake the project and know the outcome could be risky building a map in your field!). Don't buy this product without a map for your configuration and expect it to be pull and go! -and this is why I'm not pointing my finger at vi-pec or ANYONE with the melt down of my machine! We knew what we were getting into here!

3. I would like to see the det sensor fully operational and all the stock gauges and warnings working properly (including the odometer). We have roughly 200 hard miles on this machine that haven't registered since we put the new ECU on it. For various reasons I would like to keep track of my mileage (and I KNOW people will have questions about how many miles I put on it with it running pull and go as that is a good judge of longevity).

Update on my machine. A-MAZINGLY enough it was just the top end. It looks like a bomb went off in there but I'm pretty sure it didn't give up the ghost that day (on the ride out down the trail, which is when it started running on one cylinder). It was caused by detention but as I said, we ran that sled against the wall while tuning with the dobek box and in the initial phases of building our own maps with this box. Once the maps were built we're pretty positive we weren't hitting det, even when we switched to pump gas. So... We might have a bunch of people pooling together to help get me some parts and we might rebuild this bad boy! We were SOOOO stinking close and it's be a ROUGH journey for me, I won't lie!! but I knew stepping from the big bore world to the turbo world would be a HUGE learning curve for me.

If all the stars align and I can find all the products I need (including a WHOLE new wiring system for the sled cause I am DONE chasing white rabbits through wires!) then we might see this back on the snow!!

I hope that explains some of what we went through and some of what I think you guys would see as customers. We got great service from Gino and Jake, if you have ANY really technical questions get a hold of Jake (sledstew). I do think once you get a map set for your machine it will realize more power and be more consistent. Day in and day out, from area to area I can't speak to yet since we had JUST gotten to the point where our map was correct!

Sorry for the long post, I've been getting a bunch of PMs and I just wanted to reply once! ;)

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Very happy to hear the bottom end was fine. :face-icon-small-coo

And smart move on throwing in new electrical.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Hope you get it back up and running. But I don't think the vipec should have been made available without a map that would be close.

To pay $2k for a standalone that has no map, doesn't really adjust itself without a laptop is just nuts, I'm sorry you had to be the r and d tester for the system.

Maybe they will get a better market for it but seems like a lot of headaches if none of the other gauge stuff works right after putting this on

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
I bought the product knowing full well what we were getting! They were in the process of building the maps the weekend after we were. If we would have been patient we would have had them and we KNEW that!!! I do not want that to reflect poorly on Vi-pec! (and not cause I'm sponsored by them, I'm not, or cause they helped me out, they didn't! Just cause it's the truth and we KNEW what we were buying and what we were doing!)

And it's not NONE of the other gauge stuff. Just det sensor and odometer. I know they're working on the det sensor, not sure about odometer, haven't heard back after I requested that one. It could be as simple as turning the point on and we just haven't heard back from them yet! (we're kinda more worried about deciding if we want to rebuild or not at this time)

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
He had that sled on a very packed hill going as fast as it could go... I would bet big money that you get that sled it the deep stuff and it wouldn't even pull a 60 mile and hour track speed.. Dont be fooled, watch that video again...

88 mph???. Huh. Best turbo ever.

I will make you a deal right now, I will buy two of your boxs if you can get my sled to pull that kind of track speed. I'll even settle for 80 mph @ 5.5lbs.

My turboed M1000 at 10psi didnt even come close to 88 mph.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Hope you get it back up and running. But I don't think the vipec should have been made available without a map that would be close.
mapping for hm turbo on 2011 and 2012 are 95% done....at 95 % it is running 900% better than with ANY other controller on the market.
for every other kits, it is 85 % close.enough to be running fine after 35 minutes!!

To pay $2k for a standalone that has no map,
wrong, it is coming with base maps.
doesn't really adjust itself without a laptop is just nuts,
compensation done by itself 100%
from cooke at 11000 ft to here at sea level(300ft) i had to clutch (87 grams instead of 74 grms) that's it, nothing beside that. ran the sled here another 600km since then and runs like a champ at 5.5 lbs kicking m1100 a$$ all day long in any situation(1 mile lake drag to climbing :)) and not by just a bit!!
I'm sorry you had to be the r and d tester for the system.
She was far from being the r and d tester......realy far!

Maybe they will get a better market for it but seems like a lot of headaches if none of the other gauge stuff works right after putting this on
everything works 100 % beside odometer(just need to be activated.)

i don't want to dig more into that story, but skadi's sled was detonated more than 100 times(confirmed!!) prior to the vi-pec installation ......she can explain and post pictures if she wants , not my job to do this. i spoke with emilie a few times since her piston melted and broke on some corners, and she knows where it is coming from. i realy wish she could go the extra $$ to rebuild the engine i offered her some help but her bidget is gone now. i wish you the best emilie and i hope we can work together in a near future....i can make your 860 runs better than any other one in the country with the ECU....

Last edited:

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
what

mapping for hm turbo on 2011 and 2012 are 95% done....at 95 % it is running 900% better than with ANY other controller on the market.

I thought i read that NM boost-it turbo pro was the best running in North America , if not the world:face-icon-small-con , in the videos posted it does seem to be working really well , it takes more then a good working fuel controler to make a sled perform like that , and NM and sled has all three.
Hope to see your product in a sled with a rider that has all three things working for them , until then:rockon:

for every other kits, it is 85 % close.enough to be running fine after 35 minutes!!

To pay $2k for a standalone that has no map,
wrong, it is coming with base maps.
doesn't really adjust itself without a laptop is just nuts,
compensation done by itself 100%
from cooke at 11000 ft to here at sea level(300ft) i had to clutch (87 grams instead of 74 grms) that's it, nothing beside that. ran the sled here another 600km since then and runs like a champ at 5.5 lbs kicking m1100 a$$ all day long in any situation(1 mile lake drag to climbing :)) and not by just a bit!!
I'm sorry you had to be the r and d tester for the system.
She was far from being the r and d tester......realy far!

i don't want to dig more into that story, but skadi's sled was detonated more than 100 times(confirmed!!) prior to the vi-pec installation ......she can explain and post pictures if she wants , not my job to do this. i spoke with emilie a few times since her piston melted and broke on some corners, and she knows where it is coming from. i realy wish she could go the extra $$ to rebuild the engine i offered her some help but her bidget is gone now. i wish you the best emilie and i hope we can work together in a near future....i can make your 860 runs better than any other one in the country with the ECU....

bbb

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
"I thought i read that NM boost-it turbo pro was the best running in North America , if not the world , in the videos posted it does seem to be working really well , it takes more then a good working fuel controler to make a sled perform like that , and NM and sled has all three.
Hope to see your product in a sled with a rider that has all three things working for them , until then"

Noone said the Boost-it didnt work, I agree it works.
Just isn't as precise and doesnt have near the adjustability of the Vi-pec.
As far as being the best in the world ,well I think the tuner determines that aspect and rider ability comes into play.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Skadi's quote:
And it's not NONE of the other gauge stuff. Just det sensor and odometer. I know they're working on the det sensor, not sure about odometer, haven't heard back after I requested that one

Precision Efi answer:

i don't want to dig more into that story, but skadi's sled was detonated more than 100 times(confirmed!!) prior to the vi-pec installation

So whats up with the det sensor and why wouldn't you want to dig more into that story?
Do you honestly believe her sled detonated over 100 times without a burndown?
How many times did it detonate with the Vi-pec before it did melt?

I am not trying to start anything,just curious about your answers.
Thanks

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Skadi's quote:
And it's not NONE of the other gauge stuff. Just det sensor and odometer. I know they're working on the det sensor, not sure about odometer, haven't heard back after I requested that one

Precision Efi answer:

i don't want to dig more into that story, but skadi's sled was detonated more than 100 times(confirmed!!) prior to the vi-pec installation

So whats up with the det sensor and why wouldn't you want to dig more into that story?
Do you honestly believe her sled detonated over 100 times without a burndown?
How many times did it detonate with the Vi-pec before it did melt?

I am not trying to start anything,just curious about your answers.
Thanks

Since skadi didn't have the det sensor hooked up with the vipec there is no way of knowing how many times it det after the 100 times with other controller. Not trying to start anything but the det sensor is there to help you not detonate which was part of the issue on why skadi is not running now. So no one will know if it were from the prior 100 dets or if it was in fact det when vipec was on

C

CANDYMAN

Apr 23, 2008
Rimbey,AB
"I thought i read that NM boost-it turbo pro was the best running in North America , if not the world , in the videos posted it does seem to be working really well , it takes more then a good working fuel controler to make a sled perform like that , and NM and sled has all three.
Hope to see your product in a sled with a rider that has all three things working for them , until then"

Noone said the Boost-it didnt work, I agree it works.
Just isn't as precise and doesnt have near the adjustability of the Vi-pec.
As far as being the best in the world ,well I think the tuner determines that aspect and rider ability comes into play.
It's not what Vipec can do, but what it can't. By installing Vipec you are taking ownership of the entire engine management system. The installer better be very confident in the tune before sending a customer out on the snow with no way of making adjustments.
Skadis sled might be the first of many.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
Well as far as the topic of tuning the vipec on skadi's sled....its over.

Sold the sled

I pulled the vipec and turbo kit off so we have a HM kit with Dobeck ,intercooler, clutching and also the Vipec with all the stuff to make both run for sale.

we are very impressed with how the vipec made her sled run but she felt the sled over all wasnt what she wanted anymore. Shes done with the turbo's.

PM me or Skadi with any questions.

Thanks!
:rockon:

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Well as far as the topic of tuning the vipec on skadi's sled....its over.

Sold the sled

I pulled the vipec and turbo kit off so we have a HM kit with Dobeck ,intercooler, clutching and also the Vipec with all the stuff to make both run for sale.

we are very impressed with how the vipec made her sled run but she felt the sled over all wasnt what she wanted anymore. Shes done with the turbo's.

PM me or Skadi with any questions.

Thanks!
:rockon:

Bummer to hear...what is she going to do next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features