• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tuning in the Vipec on Skadi's sled

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
This is Emilie's (Skadi) sled. We got a Vipec ECU last week. Spent a few days playing with the maps in the field here at the house and took it to the mountain today. I spent about 1.5 hours today with the laptop out tuning on the top end of the sled. Its running 5.5 lbs of boost and only pulling about 7700 rpms here in the video. Some clutcing and leaning out the bottom end on the map and I think she'll be ready! Im really impressed already with the way this sled runs now. Excited to see how it works once i get the RPMs up and clean up the bottom a bit more.

Sled is a 11 with HM turbos kit with Water/air intercooler.

Its kinda fun because Emilie hasnt had the chance to ride it yet since shes been away for work..... :face-icon-small-win

Pretty sure shes gonna LOVE IT!

I'll post a few more videos tomorrow.....

Last edited:
S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
I hate you! ;) kidding! I'm actually excited to come home and see the real difference. I bet it will be REALLY obvious to me since I haven't been riding it while it's tuning in this whole time.

Can't wait until next weekend!!!! Looks like she's running pretty dang good!!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
That sled sounds good but after a whole week of tuning and its still not running right sure must be frustraiting....that would drive me nuts!
I sure hope you do get it running properly for Emilie.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
That sled sounds good but after a whole week of tuning and its still not running right sure must be frustraiting....that would drive me nuts!
I sure hope you do get it running properly for Emilie.

Pretty much only ran the sled last sunday....about a hour monday and anther hour wed all after my day job. Burned about 4-5 gal of fuel before i took it to the mountains.....I dont think thats much of a trouble since theres only a handful of these on the snow now? might be a different story if it was a massed produced kit that everyone and there brother had that i was just doin some final touches on. Im sure its gonna runnin just fine next weekend. Its already running better than it has in over a month now.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Pretty much only ran the sled last sunday....about a hour monday and anther hour wed all after my day job. Burned about 4-5 gal of fuel before i took it to the mountains.....I dont think thats much of a trouble since theres only a handful of these on the snow now? might be a different story if it was a massed produced kit that everyone and there brother had that i was just doin some final touches on. Im sure its gonna runnin just fine next weekend. Its already running better than it has in over a month now.

I will be looking forward to your honest opinion on this ECU with some good video,I would like to see a POV shot of the dash while on a climb through the trees while getting on and off the gas.
I am planning on doing a boosted pro for next season but want a product that is proven...I do not to do the R&D.
Thanks for the answers and keep us informed.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
Once several maps are built for all sorts of different setups I'm sure they will have real close maps for everyone. This is pretty much the first one on a 11 pro with yellow injectors. We got the ecu with a stock base map that was pretty much spot on since they had that done already but since they didn't have one all done with this same Turbo kit on this year sled with the yellows we had to build the 5D boost boost map.

So no once more and more of these get out and maps are built they will come alot closer. That being said from what I've learned in the past week I wouldn't hesitate to take say a boondocker or Silber pro and tear off all of the electronics that comes with the kit and put this vipec on and could probably have it running spot on in a few days.

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Are you going to have to spend this much time on each sled? Will each VIPEC have to be tuned custom or will there be a general map for all?

You will get a base map for Naturally aspirated or base map for Turbo application. The first time you learn the vipec it will take some time to really learn the basics which are needed to tune the ecu. The configuration is all done inside the ecu but you still have to fine tune the fuel map and possibly the ignition map for your specific application. As everyone knows its impossible to build a map for everything out there. If you have a basic knowledge of how to run a laptop and understand 02 readings I can make your sled work excellent. Once setup correctly the ecu will tell you where the blemishes are inside your fueling. The AFR targets are inside the ECU and if your running lets say 14% Oxygen inthe exhaust and its suppose to be 12.5% the datalogger will show you exactly where its off, it will show everything you can think of at that exact time frame to include ,RPM,Throttle position,Intake temp,where the point is inside the fuel map,ECT, Baro, battery voltage, etc: any sensor you want to read at any specific point can be shown.

So think of it this way, your running on boost at 75% throttle and making lets say 4 psi boost. The target AFR is 13.5% and your at 14%. The first thing you will do is look at the datalog and it will tell you which throttle position , which rpm,which boost pressure you were at during that specific time .The next step is to go right to that specific point inside the fuel map and change it. Its that simple. It actually highlights it for you to show where its wrong. It a no brainer system once its understood. It was definitely setup for the guy with some tuning experience but its not necessary to be a super tuner to get it accomplished. The super tuner comes in when its time to build the ecu configuration and codes/base igition map.

I get alot of calls and I think thats the biggest issue right now is lack of knowledge on the system and what its capable of doing. Basically alot of disbelief, but honestly I can tell you if I can build someone a map over the phone,you can do it in the field.:face-icon-small-hap

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
nice seeing it come out of bottom and mid range SOOO snappy!!

and that was a nice long pull you got on that one, sounded good!

I gotta tell you Emily, you are a really good sport when all these other people are taking your sled out and you aren't there. I don't think this is the first time. ;)

Are you going to have to spend this much time on each sled? Will each VIPEC have to be tuned custom or will there be a general map for all?

GREAT question......

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
so true scott.... it kills me but I've never been one worried about loaning my sled out. one of the bad things about building a cool sled! it's a compliment that people want to ride it!! Granted, I only let people I trust take it in the trees!!

I think D and Jake answered the bit about the amount of time to tune it in ya??

I wonder if I should name my sled afterall?? Jezebel cause she gets around so much?? hahahhaha, naw, I'm not a sled namer, but if I were that would be a good one!

C

CANDYMAN

Apr 23, 2008
Rimbey,AB
You will get a base map for Naturally aspirated or base map for Turbo application. The first time you learn the vipec it will take some time to really learn the basics which are needed to tune the ecu. The configuration is all done inside the ecu but you still have to fine tune the fuel map and possibly the ignition map for your specific application. As everyone knows its impossible to build a map for everything out there. If you have a basic knowledge of how to run a laptop and understand 02 readings I can make your sled work excellent. Once setup correctly the ecu will tell you where the blemishes are inside your fueling. The AFR targets are inside the ECU and if your running lets say 14% Oxygen inthe exhaust and its suppose to be 12.5% the datalogger will show you exactly where its off, it will show everything you can think of at that exact time frame to include ,RPM,Throttle position,Intake temp,where the point is inside the fuel map,ECT, Baro, battery voltage, etc: any sensor you want to read at any specific point can be shown.

So think of it this way, your running on boost at 75% throttle and making lets say 4 psi boost. The target AFR is 13.5% and your at 14%. The first thing you will do is look at the datalog and it will tell you which throttle position , which rpm,which boost pressure you were at during that specific time .The next step is to go right to that specific point inside the fuel map and change it. Its that simple. It actually highlights it for you to show where its wrong. It a no brainer system once its understood. It was definitely setup for the guy with some tuning experience but its not necessary to be a super tuner to get it accomplished. The super tuner comes in when its time to build the ecu configuration and codes/base igition map.

I get alot of calls and I think thats the biggest issue right now is lack of knowledge on the system and what its capable of doing. Basically alot of disbelief, but honestly I can tell you if I can build someone a map over the phone,you can do it in the field.:face-icon-small-hap

What if you are in deep snow at half throttle and want the 02's to be 12's rather than 13-14 where you would want them in set up snow? If you are doing long sidehills in deep snow with 02's in the 13's then you are going to have a problem going lean. No engine load at 13-14 is not an issue.

Does the ecu compensate for that or do you need to have a deep snow map and a low snow map?
Has anyone been brave enough to head up the mountain without a laptop? I understood from earlier posts that this ecu could simply be mapped on a dyno then it was good to go?

A
Nov 26, 2007
What if you are in deep snow at half throttle and want the 02's to be 12's rather than 13-14 where you would want them in set up snow? If you are doing long sidehills in deep snow with 02's in the 13's then you are going to have a problem going lean. No engine load at 13-14 is not an issue.

Does the ecu compensate for that or do you need to have a deep snow map and a low snow map?
Has anyone been brave enough to head up the mountain without a laptop? I understood from earlier posts that this ecu could simply be mapped on a dyno then it was good to go?

I guess more to that point. As two stroke engines don't really make alot of vacum. How can you tell the loading on the engine if it is not under boost? rpm reading is useless because of the clutches keeping rpm constant. A MAP sensor I would thinkwould not be accurate enough in a two stroke.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I personally think there would be a lot less questions with this ecu if you guys showed some info on it. You guys show a sled running, but never show the boost levels, the range of afr its running, etc.

Also if you guys took the time to show on a few youtube videos how "easy" it is to tune would make people a lot more incline to try it. For example if you load your base map on a turbo sled, show a video of you guys taking it for an initial run, showing your o2 readings, and then how quick it is to hook the laptop back up to it, find the spot to be fixed, fix it, and run it again.

When I first inquired about this system you guys acted like your base map would be so close you probably wouldn't need to change it, but the more this gets out the more it seems you have to tune it yourself. Still very interested in this ecu, just would like to see how much work it is to tune it to a specific sled.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
I personally think there would be a lot less questions with this ecu if you guys showed some info on it. You guys show a sled running, but never show the boost levels, the range of afr its running, etc.

Also if you guys took the time to show on a few youtube videos how "easy" it is to tune would make people a lot more incline to try it. For example if you load your base map on a turbo sled, show a video of you guys taking it for an initial run, showing your o2 readings, and then how quick it is to hook the laptop back up to it, find the spot to be fixed, fix it, and run it again.

When I first inquired about this system you guys acted like your base map would be so close you probably wouldn't need to change it, but the more this gets out the more it seems you have to tune it yourself. Still very interested in this ecu, just would like to see how much work it is to tune it to a specific sled.

"You guys" I'm guessing you're talking about Vipec? "We" dont work for Vipec .....I'm a landscaper...."I'm" posting video's and my experience of tuning one of these ECU's. Im not gonna put a suction mount on the hood and point it at the boost gauge or the AFR when i know it was running 5.5lbs of boost and the actual AFR and target at every RPM it ran. The data logger tells me that when i look at it. We do like the ECU and the people behind this product and have got great support so I felt it would be good to spread the word on how easy "I" feel its been.

These vids were mostly getting it to run WOT. took about 5 pulls to get it running to where the AFR and target were about .1 to .2 off of each other.
since ya asked and I'm such a nice guy here is a vid of how easy it is to adjust your fuel.

In this video I saved the data logg, added fuel to the boost map and stored it back into the ECU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features