• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone ever try a 163" Polaris 5.1 series track on a 700 RMK.

indyseven

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2009
I'm thinking of putting a 163" Polaris 5.1 track and suspension from a Pro in my mod 700 GEN II. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this before. Right now i'm running a 144" camo finger track. Being that this is a relativily heavy track (not sure exactally what it weighs compared to the 163" poo track) it must be comparable with the 163". I do know that my sled turns the finger track quite well and performs wonderfully with it. But I cant stop thinking how much better it might be with more rubber on the snow and a much more sophisticated suspension under it. With my drop and rolled chaincase there is no issues with clearance with the taller paddles and the motor makes what I thinks is plenty of power. So what it will come down to is refiguring gearing and clutching to make it work. So I'm hopping that someone out there will have some great advice for me to work with. I have found lots of new take off tracks for sale in my area, and for what seems to be very cheap for a brandnew track, $350.00 for the cheapest one. The harder part is to find a complete skid out of a Pro, so if anyone knows of one for sale please PM me, I would appreciate that alot.

So thanks for reading my post and I'm looking forward to get your guys expert opinions and comments. :face-icon-small-hap

Heres a couple of pictures of my sled. I was going to sell it but now I have a renewed interest in some new mods and getting out and ridding again.

My Sled.JPG My Sled 2.JPG

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City

I am not sure if you can get drivers for that track pitch that will fit you drive shaft. You will need a custom tunnel extension because the longest one made that I know of was for a 159 on the Gen II. Finally I think you will find it under powered. You are limiited by the chain case as to how far you can gear down. 41 tooth bottom gear and I wouldn't go any smaller than a 18 top which would be 2.27 ratio and I am not so sure that will be low enough for the 700. Even then you will be pretty slow on track speed which is also important to climb ability. It would probably do fine in the powder and the majority of riding but I don't know on the climb. You may be OK but something to think about. In my opinion 159 would be as long as I would go.

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
I have a buddy that has a 159 series 2 on a 2001 700. Ran a 144 previous and he didn't change the gearing and it runs well. I would think the 163 5.1 would run well and not weigh much more if any than the 159. I don't know about drivers but length/weight wise I would say go for it if you can find the drivers.

Just my $.02

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
I believe Wahl brothers make drivers that would work for that. You might have to use anti ratchet ones. I would do it, that 700 will turn it just fine. The tunnel is probably wider than the pro tunnel so you will have to use spacers or washers to shim the suspension. And you should probably compare mounting positions to a pro so you don't mess up the geometry of the suspension. Good luck!

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
With a custom tunnel extension you should be fine. I too have been looking for newer skids, seems like they are too much $$$ or are too far away. Maybe find some 151-159 rails and use an extension. A 43 tooth gear will fit in the chaincase. I was running 19/43 with 10 tooth drivers in my mod. Avid might also make drivers.

indyseven

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2009
This is awsome info guys, very much appreciated. I should add that my 700 isnt stock. Twin pipes, high comp heads, vforce reeds 44mm lectrons and a few other things. Great info keep it comming. Any advice on clutching would be great as well, springs, helixes etc.

Thanks again.

indyseven

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2009
Just found a 163" skid and 5.1 track from a 2012 Pro for $1200.00. Track has 80 miles on it and the skid has 300 miles on it. What do you think, is this a good price, should I jump on it while I have the chance. :behindsofa:

Last edited:

indyseven

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2009
I offered him a Grand, waiting for his response. Fingers crossed.

indyseven

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2009
Sure will, I'm excited to get her together.

Last edited:
D
Dec 21, 2008
i just put a 162 skid out of a apex and a maverick track that i cut down to15" i got both cheap i think 150 for skid and 150 for track i will be trying it out on sunday i still just have a homemade extension i put on when i went to a 151 its long enough to ride it but i need to fab up one a bit longer . i think it will have plenty of power too i also have heads pipes and some other mods . ill let u know how it works later

indyseven

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2009
Thats awsome,I am excited to here how it works for you, please keep me up to date. What year 700 engine are you running. If you dont mind let me know what your useing for gearing and clutching. What pitch is the Yami track and where did you get the drivers.

I would love to see some pics of your sled. I still love the older styles, guess im getting old and nostalgic myself. LOL

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Skid is 1 inch narrower than your your tunnel is. Your going to need 1/2 inch spacers on each side to mount it either that or extend the arms 1/2 inch on each side. Be sure to reinforce your front mounting points too.

Premium Features