• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new to me 99 rmk 700!

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
sold my old ski doo and got a 99 polaris rmk 700. sleds in good shape and has v force reed valves as well. Its peppy!! anyway two issues I see so far.....One is the head/tail and brake lights are really dim. Any idea here? Secondly it has a really high idle. Im not good yet on how to adjust idle on two carbs. Just adjust the thumb screws on both carbs to get the idle down? Even # of turns?? thanks guys!

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
those sleds always idled high, do the lights get brighter when you hit the throttle? if not it probably needs a voltage regulator

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I had that sled. It was reliable and ripped all the time! My first true mountain sled. Anyway, check the adjustment in the thumb control of the throttle. Make sure that is right before you dive into the carbs.

Oh, cut the sway bar off. You don't need it on that sled (it is very low to the ground already) and it will be so much more fun sidehilling.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Well thats good to hear it was a reliable sled!! Ill look into that sway bar thanks for the tip.

As for the high idle ya ill check the cable and stuff but I think it just needs adjusted personally. How do you adjust the idle properly with two carbs? equal turns on the adjustment screws?

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
hell ya!! I like what Im hearing:face-icon-small-hap Its been snowing pretty good over here in the Boise area today and for the next couple days it sounds like! getting pumped. Any other ideas on the lights guys?? Or is it just probably the voltage regulator?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Here is something a little off topic...

I recommend replacing the pull rope. My rope broke while on the hill. I started the sled by pulling the primary. This was a huge mistake! The piece that broke off got into the water pump belt and broke it. It didn't take long for the sled to overheat and I lost the motor. Just remember that if your rope breaks that you can't run the sled until you get that piece of rope out.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID

I recommend replacing the pull rope. My rope broke while on the hill. I started the sled by pulling the primary. This was a huge mistake! The piece that broke off got into the water pump belt and broke it. It didn't take long for the sled to overheat and I lost the motor. Just remember that if your rope breaks that you can't run the sled until you get that piece of rope out.

Thanks for the tip! That would really suck!

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com

And i thought i only had that problem!

Only took 1200 ft to TOTAL wreck a water pump and belt in there!!

yes replace ROPE!

X2 on cutting of sway Bar!

double check Carb Boots???? for crackin??

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Do you have a voltmeter to check the AC voltage? It should be right around 15 Volts AC. If it is lower than that then unplug the regulator and measure the voltage. Regulator is mounted on the backside of the right footwell. Just don't rev it up with the regulator unplugged or you may blow all the bulbs. If you don't get the proper voltage then you may have a partial short to ground on the lighting coil circuit or a corroded connection somewhere or worst case a faulty stator. It could also be a poor ground connection for the lighting circuit as well. The handlebar heaters work off the same circuit as the lights so they may be drawing down the voltage too so you may have to isolate them.

On the carb idle adjustment if the carbs are synchronized then just back off the large idle knobs on each carb an equal amount. It could be a partially plugged pilot jet that is causing the high idle. Have you pulled the carbs off and cleaned them? Does it idle down when you put the choke on? What rpm are you idling at?

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
I'm willing to bet your voltage regulator is bad... Its a common problem with these older polaris sleds. Verify the problem and replace polaris reg with an Arctic Cat 2 wire volt reg much like this: http://compare.ebay.com/like/290384405676?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=173377411202&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=7b5ed64d12c0a0aa14c38873fe53eeab&itemid=290384405676&ff4=263602_304662 Best investment you'll make I promise.
The high idle could mean there's leaking seal or gasket on the motor... You can try spraying some starter fluid around the crank seals, carb boots, and cylinders to tell. If idle changes than you'll have to dig into it and find the part at fault. This method works great sometimes and sometime doesn't work at all. Before doing this though make sure you don't have a carb slide hanging up or a stretched cable or something simple like that.
Good luck

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
I'm willing to bet your voltage regulator is bad... Its a common problem with these older polaris sleds. Verify the problem and replace polaris reg with an Arctic Cat 2 wire volt reg much like this: http://compare.ebay.com/like/290384405676?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=173377411202&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=7b5ed64d12c0a0aa14c38873fe53eeab&itemid=290384405676&ff4=263602_304662 Best investment you'll make I promise.
The high idle could mean there's leaking seal or gasket on the motor... You can try spraying some starter fluid around the crank seals, carb boots, and cylinders to tell. If idle changes than you'll have to dig into it and find the part at fault. This method works great sometimes and sometime doesn't work at all. Before doing this though make sure you don't have a carb slide hanging up or a stretched cable or something simple like that.
Good luck

Why a arctic cat one? better or something??

Thanks for all the comments on the high idle. Ya I turned it down a bit with the adjustment knobs so now im at about 2000 RPM. How tight does the airbox have to be on the carbs? Seems wierd the airbox kind of just sits on there with 3 of those rubber things...its from the factory like that so im sure its fine.

Last edited:
R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
That one or one with the same part number... On that page you'll see some more if you scroll down... they are cheaper too. Installation is easy just plug the yellow wire into the wire plugged into the polaris reg. Cut the black wire and expose the copper, crimp on an eyelet and ground to chassis. Drill a hole and bolt regulator on.

K
Mar 16, 2008
Replacing the rope is a great idea. Even better is to replace the rope with a piece of the 3/16" synthetic winch rope, it will never break again. Also what I did on mine, the newer recoils have a guard riveted inside to prevent the rope from taking out the water pump belt, I fitted one of these guards in mine, problem solved forever.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Replacing the rope is a great idea. Even better is to replace the rope with a piece of the 3/16" synthetic winch rope, it will never break again. Also what I did on mine, the newer recoils have a guard riveted inside to prevent the rope from taking out the water pump belt, I fitted one of these guards in mine, problem solved forever.

Sounds like good ideas! I rode this sled this weekend Fri. and Sunday! It rips!!! I noticed that at times the lights were on and bright but at times they were just not working at all. Still the voltage regulator?

Premium Features