• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 XP break in???

C
Dec 26, 2007
BOZEMAN
Just got an 2009 Everest 800. I am just wondering about the break in period, what do I need to do or look for? Also is there a chip in the computer that will not let it be at its full potential until after 8 hours of running? This is what the deal told me. I am getting mixed reviews about this, a buddy that knows Skidoo said it was BS. He said they had it 2 years ago, but not the last 2.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I never noticed anything but my clutching was shot to begin with and I only have 400 miles on my 09 so it is really hard to say.

C
Just got an 2009 Everest 800. I am just wondering about the break in period, what do I need to do or look for?

I heat cycled 3 times by warming it up then riding it with short bursts of varied throttle.

After 3 heat cycles? I'm riding the thing like a rental. It pulls strong to 8200 RPM and has no issues at 100 miles so far. I just wanted to seat the rings....Going easy on em' is supposed to be counter productive. With my Jug buster 14.8 RK Tek head in place I'm thinking my rings took a seat in a jiffy.

Also is there a chip in the computer that will not let it be at its full potential until after 8 hours of running?

I think if that were the case mine would spin up to 8200 RPM at 100 miles?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
there is no chip...

i recommend doing a search on break-in procedures. LOTS of good info on here.

in a nutshell: let the new sled warm up completely, once warm, start riding it. varied throttle positions with some good on trail WOT pulls of about 5 to 10 seconds to seat the rings. do some shut downs to let things cool so you can look through everything. make sure things are warm agian and then repeat above. One good day of trail riding w/ this break-in style and the motor will be find. it will loosen up over time and be making full power by about 150 miles, but only because of physics - not a "chip".

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
Last yr when I bought my new 09 x my dealer told me that there was a burn out chip installed and it would burn out and you would notice a huge difference in power after the burnout. I never felt any difference from the time I first rode machine until now and I have put 500 miles on my machine from last yr. I say that you ride the machine like you would normally ride regardless how they say to break it in. I personally don't agree with the heat cycles or any such way of breaking a motor in, you don't do that when you buy a new pickup when you have to cob it you do, never had a problem with 2 new sleds I bought and that is the way I broke them in. just my .02

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I didn't make any huge pulls when mine was brand new and in its early hours but I rode the hell out of it just like normal. I had my engine appart to doo mods this fall and everything was as it should be. Ride it like normal, if you don't ride too agressively then make sure you tape it down from time to time to get some good load on the engine for the break in hours. And enjoy it!

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
have had more than 12 new sleds and the only one i had a engine failure on ,i broke in easy---we ride them about 30 minutes and then line um up and race them to 70 or 80 mph:D:D

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
I believe your dealer did tell you that they had a chip of some kind in them.......sounds like most dealers in the industry that don't have a friggin clue what is inside the machines they sell....they hire some idiot off the street to sell sleds and within a week, he used to be sponshured and is an expert!!! lol....give me a break!!!

D
Sep 4, 2009
drive it like you stole it. my 09 has has 1400 miles, no issues, even with nitrous. break it in hard it will handle it, and your sled will run better in the long run.

G
Sep 8, 2008
So much for beating my 1000, eh CATCRAZY?:face-icon-small-hap

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Don't you all start a Cat/doo fight, this is just personal between us!:D

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
Was told by my dealer that my 09 would wake up a bit after 300 miles ?

as any new motor will...... but it has nothing to do with burnout chips or some mythical program built in. if Ski-Doo was smart enough to figure out a burnout chip, they could certainly get clutching figured out for a mountain sled the first try and not leave it up to aftermarket builders to do their R&D.

get some miles on them and they will loosen up a bit and perform much better

Dec 7, 2007
Leduc, Alberta
drive it like you stole it. my 09 has has 1400 miles, no issues, even with nitrous. break it in hard it will handle it, and your sled will run better in the long run.

X2...I buy a new one every couple yrs and just jump on and drive it like its stolen...never have an issue and more often then not it seems to run better and stronger then most that are broken in easy.

Premium Features