• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 High Idle and No Go

D
Feb 11, 2008
Moscow, Idaho
Went riding today and sled idled fine warming it up. Ran it maybe 300 yards, stopped for a minute and when I hit the throttle to go again, it died. It'll start up and idle(at just under 4k), but as soon as I hit the gas, it wants to die. It bogs down and almost dies, then shoots back up to 4000rpms. One of the spark plugs was loose, and I tightened it, but that didn't help.

Anyone have any similar problems or solutions before I start tearing into it?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
My guess??? is that your throttle is adjusted wrong, do you have a left hand throttle? disconnect your throttle safety switch and see what happens. It could be sucking air somewhere. list more info and include all mods if any and what type. Did you do anything prier to this ride that might have influenced the problem. what year also.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
throttle cable to tight/loose...tps sensor..may have to by pass kill switch throttle etc..if it works then check all adj....bypass is in your manual/kit..

D
Feb 11, 2008
Moscow, Idaho
It's an 05 m7 with a new 800 put in last year(with new efi box). Only mods are K&N pod filter and a can. Ran fine last week in McCall. Had a grip heater short out on the last ride Friday, I've heard that could mess with the electrical.

Last edited:
A
Apr 21, 2008
Sounds like it could be a fuel pump problem as well ???
its only pumping fuel till you load it down and its not pumping any pressure Just an idea !!! good luck

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
if its got the right fuel pressure never mind then. is it a reducer or a regulator in the tank, if it is a reducer like a needle jet it might not be letting enough fuel through.

Last edited:
D
Feb 11, 2008
Moscow, Idaho
if its got the right fuel pressure never mind then. is it a reducer or a regulator in the tank, if it is a reducer like a needle jet it might not be letting enough fuel through.
It's the inline reducer(jet). I called Brian from Clearwater Power Sports in Lewiston, and he said the same thing as you, that it's probably the throttle safety switch or a short in the hand warmer. I'm going to pull it into the shop tomorrow and try a few of the things you suggested. Thanks for all the help so far.

D
Feb 11, 2008
Moscow, Idaho
The gauge is after the reducer. Just played with all the wiring. Didn't change anything. A new development, though. Now it will start and idle normally, and it even lets me rev past 4k, but when I just let it idle, it will slowly loose rpm's and die in about 30seconds. If I try and restart it right away, it will just barely idle for a few seconds and die, but if I let it sit for a couple minutes, it will start and idle normally for another 30 sec then die.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I now remember this happening on my sled once,where the throttle cable goes or slips into the thumb throttle. I was messing with the wires and pulled the throttle cable out just enough it hung up and wasn't all the way in the thumb throttle, messed around got it to slip in and away it went. does your fuel pressure stay the same as you rap it up. I would still try disconnecting some stuff just to eliminate the option. does it sound like its loading up when it dies? and how high does it idle when it starts.

D
Feb 11, 2008
Moscow, Idaho
I'll check the throttle cable tomorrow. I did unplug the hand/thumb warmers and the throttle safety switch, and it didn't change a thing. It does sound like it's loading up a bit as it is dying. I am limited to what I can do with it right now, I'm just playing with it on the trailer. I couldn't get to my shop today...too much snow and not enough Whitman County Plows.

A
Dec 1, 2008
My 2008 m8 started to idle pretty high after summer. It is idling at 3500rpm.

Any ideas?

Last season it also tend to fade in the high rpm area, and sometimes, in certain throttle position totally died if I kept the throttle in that position.

Can faulty stator do this kind of mess?

Blew a motor in start of last season(broken oil pump "piston"), and after that ECU burned down and had to be changed, also I did change the OEM egt to new one from duramax diesel.

I also have added innovate wide band lambda, and it is reading quite steady 13.5 to 14 at idle. And KOSO dual egt with fast sensors installed.

Premium Features