• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQ seat on a Gen II

R
Oct 18, 2010
looks great! I thought the support posts in the first one where an OEM type deal, but all the seats I was looking at didn't come with, but now i see it's custom. I guess that also speaks well on your fab work!

thanks for the write-up, sled looks great

S
Dec 26, 2011
MN
very nice, I'm going to do this to an indy 500 edge for my GF, at least now if my motor goes down I will still be able to ride, those old seats suck.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
How do you get the front of the seat to click into the tank?

S
Dec 26, 2011
MN
Scott, it has two plastic fingers on the seat frame and two matching groves in the tank they slide together like... well, like a lot of things slide together.

==---
==---

F
Jun 7, 2008
My Seat Conversion

I finally got my IQ to RMK seat conversion done...well almost. The seat was off an 05 I believe. I decided to use the storage box that came with the IQ so that I would have a place to put a few tools ect. The mount was too short, so I used (2) 3/4 inch nylon cutting boards, epoxied them together, and cut them to match the bottom of the storage box, then drilled through them and mounted them under the box to the tunnel. To clean up the look I bent a piece of aluminum (long part of a drywall square) and riveted it around the base. Turned out pretty good I think. I do like the look of the OP's better with the open underside, but thought the functional storage would be useful.

Attachments

• Sled1.jpg
    Sled1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Sled2.jpg
    Sled2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Sled3.jpg
    Sled3.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Sled4.jpg
    Sled4.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 131
O
Oct 15, 2013
I finally got my IQ to RMK seat conversion done...well almost. The seat was off an 05 I believe. I decided to use the storage box that came with the IQ so that I would have a place to put a few tools ect. The mount was too short, so I used (2) 3/4 inch nylon cutting boards, epoxied them together, and cut them to match the bottom of the storage box, then drilled through them and mounted them under the box to the tunnel. To clean up the look I bent a piece of aluminum (long part of a drywall square) and riveted it around the base. Turned out pretty good I think. I do like the look of the OP's better with the open underside, but thought the functional storage would be useful.

do you have more pics on the iq seat what did you do to fit it against the tank?

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
How much of the gen 2 seat do you cut off. It looks like only 3 or 4 inches.
edit:
Just looked at it again, so tell me if I have this right. The section that gets cut from the gen 2 seat is the section (about 1 foot) that clips under the tank. Starting where the aluminum starts near the bottom of the seat in pictures of the OP's first post.Then it is riveted to the bottom of the IQ seat. The IQ seat actually doesn't get cut. Then the top section (around the tank)of the IQ seat gets trimmed to fit the contours of the tank. Correct?

Last edited:
F
Jun 7, 2008
do you have more pics on the iq seat what did you do to fit it against the tank?

Sorry for the slow reply. I thought I had some more pics of the underside of the seat ect., but I cant seem to find them. I'll try to get over to my shop soon and snap a few pics of it and post up for ya.

F
Jun 7, 2008
How much of the gen 2 seat do you cut off. It looks like only 3 or 4 inches.
edit:
Just looked at it again, so tell me if I have this right. The section that gets cut from the gen 2 seat is the section (about 1 foot) that clips under the tank. Starting where the aluminum starts near the bottom of the seat in pictures of the OP's first post.Then it is riveted to the bottom of the IQ seat. The IQ seat actually doesn't get cut. Then the top section (around the tank)of the IQ seat gets trimmed to fit the contours of the tank. Correct?

Stomper, you are correct. The main cutting is all on the Gen 2 seat. The only cutting I did on the IQ was on the sides of the front to make them fit the tank better and flow into the lines of the Gen 2 front part. I do still have a bit of a gap on the top of mine between my seat and tank (maybe about an inch) which I plan on filling using either thick foam cut and glued to the tank so the seat butts up against it, or fabricate a flap sewn to my seat fover that velcros to my tank. Havent decided yet, but rode it all last season with it as is and had no problems and LOVED the improvement of the high rise plus I like the look of custom :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features