• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering post for gen 2

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I still bent them even with a piece of solid crome moly stuffed down the center of them. Not until I added the upper brace could you get them to quit bending if you are a very agressive rider.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I had the same issue with my 2000. Made this little gem.

Something like this. Just a spacer block bolted on top of the steering hoop. Then use a wms bearing kit to bolt the post to it. You will nver bend another post. Even a stock one. With both the stock upper mount left in tacked, and then adding the other one above it, this takes all the stress off of where the shaft makes the bend. You are only pulling against a short length of straight pipe this way.

Ok, the pic didn't come down with the quote. Scroll up to that post above and look at the pic.

Last edited:
D
Jan 4, 2008
MN
This is what I made with some old parts laying around. Alum rod JB welded in to the first bend. Havent bent the post since.

005-2.jpg

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
This is what I made with some old parts laying around. Alum rod JB welded in to the first bend. Havent bent the post since.

005-2.jpg

That upper mount you made is all it takes. Once you've done that, you will never bend a stock post. Thanks for the pic. My genII's are long gone and don't have any pics.

Premium Features