• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

thinking of doing an engine swap...

D
Oct 14, 2011
I am contemplating swapping a 580 or 600 xlt into my 1990 indy trail f/c. Seeing as i blew up my 488 and including all the parts i can think of it'll be about the same price, and it should make it quite a nice sleeper. Any advice or constructive criticism is quite welcome. Btw, I'm hoping to find an XLT engine complete with water pump, coils, etc. Only thing i don't need as of this point is the clutch and engine mount.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Fan cooled chassis=no coolant lines for a l/c engine. You need one added to the bulkhead and tunnel and then have to make it all work in a set-up that never had it (figure out the line routing yourself). Would be cheaper to just buy an xlt and fix it up...

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
Dont go an xlt route if your going to pipe it. They don't like being piped because of the RPM they pull. Go an ultra route or a 650 route (compareable pricing to the xlt motor) and then put a set of SLP pipes on that thing and it will be a true sleeper.

Premium Features