• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How deep can you go on your 136"?

R
Oct 18, 2010
I got a '99 RMK 700 with the stock track. It's got a pipe, can and clutch all from SLP. Carbs are jetted for the mods as well. This will be my first full winter riding a sled for my pow needs so i'm just curious how everyone likes the 136 or if i should jump ship and get a 151 on asap before it gets real deep haha!

Any tips for keeping a mostly stock sled up and not stuck on the super deep days?

BuffPass3.jpg

(random interweb pic)

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
If you really want to go in the deep you'll need a 151. My 136 used to be great at getting deep meaning it would dig deep right down to the dirt.

It's my 2nd back-up sled now and I'm usually busy digging out whoever is riding it.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
Well I guess it depends how you ride it. I pull out my buddy all the time and he rides a 151. But if the snow is like the picture above, that looks deep and they're all going to struggle but the old 136 will be at the bottom of the hill.. I rode my 136 for a couple years and it worked fine. I just had to work harder to keep up in the deep stuff. Eventually I removed the stock 1.75 x 136 and went to a 2 x 144 and it made a huge difference.
Only tip is to keep the gas on and try to stop on the down slope.

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I rode my 99 7 for a couple years with the 136. Basically with something that short you have to keep your momentum up otherwise its stuck city for you. I have since put a 151 on it and it does make a world of difference. I can to places on my backup 136 that my 151 does its just a lot more work. I personally would just jump to a 151 and not look back.

R
Oct 18, 2010
Yeah i think it's def gonna happen when the funds become available. It sounds like it is possible to get where i need to go but I just need to learn to ride.

gonna start with learning to ride, get used to how it is now, then upgrade hopefully later this winter. thanks for all the help guys!

1103002001.jpg

Just got em home the other day :D ended up with a 97 RMK 700 as well as a loaner

Dec 3, 2007
136 to 144

I have a 2001 500 RMK that was 136 x 1.5. When I lengthened the track on my Skidoo from a 144 to a 151, I swapped the 144 on to the RMK using a extension. Before I installed the 144 onto the 500 RMK, I ventilated the track by drilling five 1.5" holes across the track between every row of paddles. Ventilating does several things: it helps keep the track from accumulating snow, it takes some weight off, and most important, I think, is it makes the track much more limber. I was not sure if the 500 could pull that much track. As it turned out the little machine is a real kick to ride. It is light, and easy to throw around. It sidehills great, which is really good because it definitely does not have enough power to do a straight hill climb. Interestingly, top end on hard pack is almost unchanged- about 70mph.

R
Oct 18, 2010
got to take it out for the first time this week, we got 14" at my house so we rode right out of the driveway. Rode through some good knee+ deep fresh pow, this thing is a lot of fun...

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
I agree with the others, if you are going to be riding deep snow on regular basis you should go for the 151x2. I have a 144x2 and looking back I probably should've went with the 151, but oh well. Good luck and enjoy your sleds!

S
Jan 5, 2010
My brother used to ride the exact same sled and it also depends how much you weigh. When I rode it a couple times (this was back when I was in highschool) I probably only weighed 160 and I was at the front of the pack with the 800/151's even on deep days.

We put a tunnel and rail extension on and bought a slightly used 151 and it made it even better, especially when my brother was riding because he was more in the 270 range.

It will definitely help you out when you can get one for it but with the right suspension set up and rider you can still go places in the real deep :)

W
Dec 19, 2009
Zimmerman MN
My second sled was a 99 600 rmk. I bought it new in 01 for $4500. We used to ride in upper Michigan alot. The sled rocked there. I thought it was the greatest thing on the snow, until our first trip to Cooke city. You lose alot of power at 9,000'. Keep it floored don't let up for anything and park on a down slope. If you can put a longer track on it do it. If not just don't ride with guys on newer sleds or you'll get frustrated. Stick with comparable sleds and you'll have the time of your life!!

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
i spent two seasons off and on riding a 05 IQR 600ves/800/600Ho, and even with a terrible aproach angle, you can take it anywhere. All it takes is patience, skill, and be very quick on the turn outs. You need to plan where you are going before you even get there. If you want to be seccessfull at all in the mountains on any sled, you should do this... It is just much more important and taxing on a short track. IMO, rail extensions, 2 friends, dirty thirty pack, 144" track, and three hours.

J
Dec 7, 2010
eastern wa
i say you stick a 151 under it, get a set of cpi twins, an slp boost bottle a couple clutch springs from epi gut the air box, throw some 72g wieghts at the primary and you will be impressed where that machine will go! i used to have a 2001 set up that way in it was crazy how deep of snow you could climb in

R
Oct 18, 2010
I have put a few real riding days on this sled and it is quite impressive in its current form. I did get out on a relatively deep day and the short track (and lack of skill) was very apparent. I did make a decent climb but i trenched it a few times not paying attention tot he hill and snow depth. I have learned really quickly when to let off so the back end doesn't get buried haha!

Def going with some powder skis soon (mine are fairly old and worn) and a 151 track. I think with that setup i'll be able to get where i need to go with a bit more practice.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
ya im really impressed with mine. we went twice so far in fairly deep stuff and everyong had 151's i did fine keeping up mostly the rider

Premium Features