• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 GenII seat fit?

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
The only thing that may be a deal breaker is that the Edge seats were separate from the fuel tanks, where as the Gen II stuff may have an intergrated seat/tank. So you might have to go with a seat and tank, which is ok. Cheers.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle, Idaho
Mine is the 2000 GenII which is the seperate seat & tank. It actually looks just like the newer ones, that's why I was thinking it might fit. I know the 99's are the combo seat tank.
Thank, Jim

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Mine is the 2000 GenII which is the seperate seat & tank. It actually looks just like the newer ones, that's why I was thinking it might fit. I know the 99's are the combo seat tank.
Thank, Jim

you are correct about the seats being seperate except on the 99's and I think the 550's had a one piece also. I am not sure if it is taller but if you can get it cheap enough it is a nicer seat then the 2000. they have the non slip material on them.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
The 04 seat seems to be a bit taller and its also lighter I believe.. The downfall to putting an Edge seat on a Gen II is what rmkboxer said.. The Edge seat does tip up about 1/2 way through so the rear of the seat sits different.. It will bolt right up and will pull the rear down, but the front will now come up a little and you will have a good sized gap between the front of the seat and the gas tank.. Its not that bad, but I didnt like it at all.. Here are pics of both seats. It shows how far off the back is from being flat like the regular Gen II seats.. first pic is Gen II, second is Edge seat.. I have the back of the Edge seat a little higher than it should be, but you can get the idea. :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
The 04 seat seems to be a bit taller and its also lighter I believe.. The downfall to putting an Edge seat on a Gen II is what rmkboxer said.. The Edge seat does tip up about 1/2 way through so the rear of the seat sits different.. It will bolt right up and will pull the rear down, but the front will now come up a little and you will have a good sized gap between the front of the seat and the gas tank.. Its not that bad, but I didnt like it at all.. Here are pics of both seats. It shows how far off the back is from being flat like the regular Gen II seats.. first pic is Gen II, second is Edge seat.. I have the back of the Edge seat a little higher than it should be, but you can get the idea. :face-icon-small-hap

I forgot about that pulling up on the front, I used a vertical escape seat so I put the snaps on the tunnel to hold it down

I
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle, Idaho
Thanks guys for the info. I bought the seat and noticed right away that it will pull up in the front. I too have the snaps in the front and I also noticed that it dosen't roll down over the sides of the tunnel like the GenII and the one in your picture. Does that mean mine is an Escape seat? I figured that the snaps would help pull it down. I also have a tank bag that will cover the very front of the seat as well.

I am actually thinking of fabricating a wedge to fill the gap where the tunnel is supposed to bend up. This would give me some additional rise toward the rear as well. I know someone makes a wedge but they go for over $100 and this is on the cheap (otherwise I'd have bought a Boss). I'm thinking of some rigid styrofoam and cover it in vinyl. I don't want it to look stupid but think it won't be too noticible. The flat spot on the rear of the GenII seat is about 2" taller than the one on the Edge. I figured that raising the rear about 2-1/4" off my tunnel keeps with the origional bend of the seat and doesn't lift the seat much over stock in the rear.

Ever heard of anyone doing this? I'll post pictures when I get it done.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
On the 2 pics I posted, the yellow and black seat that is there doesnt have the snaps and goes over the tunnel which is like an Edge, but the one I bought recently does not go over the tunnel and has the snaps, so it must be an Escape.. The one with the snaps also has Styrofoam in it so it is much lighter than the Edge one. I myself thought of making some type of wedge to use the edge seat, but never got around to doing it.. I thought of all kinds of stuff to use, but ended up using that Gen II seat and selling the Edge so I didnt have to worry about it.. That was on a Wedge chassis so anything was better than what it had.. :D

I
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle, Idaho
Mine has the styrofoam also. I weighed and it is about 8 pounds lighter than the GenII. Definately looking forward to the first trip... and the next.... and the one after that.... etc.... etc....

I
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle, Idaho
On the 2 pics I posted, the yellow and black seat that is there doesnt have the snaps and goes over the tunnel which is like an Edge, but the one I bought recently does not go over the tunnel and has the snaps, so it must be an Escape.. The one with the snaps also has Styrofoam in it so it is much lighter than the Edge one. I myself thought of making some type of wedge to use the edge seat, but never got around to doing it.. I thought of all kinds of stuff to use, but ended up using that Gen II seat and selling the Edge so I didnt have to worry about it.. That was on a Wedge chassis so anything was better than what it had.. :D

If you don't mind, what were some of the things you thought of using? Maybe you had better ideas than I have.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I was thinking maybe some plastic, then I thought real tough styrofoam or like that real stiff rubbery real think foam stuff.. not sure what it was called or even where to get it.. If desperate you could probably use some wood..:D

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
I put an edge seat on my gen2 and after a few rides it started to tear on the front edge of the seat so I think a wedge underneath would be a good idea.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle, Idaho
Thanks Chev, that is good information.
I found some 2 part foam that you can buy in different densities. I just need to build a mold and order the stuff. The primary use of the foam is for filling gaps in the hull of boats for emergency floatation etc. You can buy it in densities from soft to hard as a rock. It says that water will break it down if submerged constantly but other that that it is water resistant. It is closed cell. The densities are measured in pounds of finished product per cubic foot.
I plan to wrap the final product with vinyl (at least on the exposed edges)to make it look better and protect it too.
I'll take pictures along the way and post if anyone is interested.

2strokes_are_awesome

Dec 8, 2007
Flat and Boring
I put the escape seat on my Gen2 last year. AMAZING improvement. Way better positioning, lighter weight, and it seems like i can fit more into this seat which is awesome.

For the rear bend I took a flat piece of aluminum cut slightly longer than the width between the mounting holes in the rear and placed about 5 washers on top of that and another identical piece of aluminum on top of that to relieve some of that bend in the seat. It also gave me a nice place to route the wires for the brake light.

Premium Features