• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BLU-RAY DISC - Snowmobile Videos??

I for one am sick of watching these great snowmobile videos on DVD (quality is terrible IMO) after watching HD for some time now, heck all I watch is HD these days (got the DishHD package - with no SD channels).

Now that the ability to produce blu-ray disc is available...what producers are making their video available in blu-ray??? I will buy every snowmobile video that is put out on blu-ray - I will NOT buy any DVDs this year!

Thanks for your response! Can't wait to watch in HD on the big screen!

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
i'll chime in....

i've done a lot of testing already for this with the hope to offer a blue-ray AND standard def DVD to everyone.

i edit in Final Cut Pro HD and use Compressor to send the final film into DVD Studio Pro for SD DVD duplication.

here's the problem i've run into...

if i edit the film on an HD timeline in FCP, it looks great and burning to a blue-ray is no big deal. the only snags are that at least a quarter of my footage is in SD from other cameras. when this is up-converted in HD, you get some step-frame and sharpness issues. still, no biggie when consider all the rockin' HD footage.

BUT...Compressor does NOT like to take a project done on a 59.97 fps HD timeline and convert it to a 29.98 fps (frames per second) SD DVD. it REALLY fouls it up with step-framing, line tearing...all kinds of wicked stuff.

so the only way i can think of is to copy the entire HD timeline and paste it down into a SD timeline. the problem with THAT is you're converting footage edited on a 60fps timebase and when you paste it to a 30fps timebase, all of your edits get jumbled and you end up re-editing the entire film to get it right.

i'm still researching and playing with this because i really do want to make a blu-ray available. i've shot all of my footage for Elevation 4 this year in 720PN FilmLook HD. it looks stunning on my HD monitors here in the edit suite...especially Oberti's $30,000 sled-shred i shot last saturday. (sorry AO).

my guess from the rest of the film guys is that they haven't sat down and played with this yet. i spoke with tom at 509 last week and we were discussing all these technical little landmines we need to get figured out.

i know Opre is shooting with the same camera i have (which used to belong to Jim Phelan) but i haven't spoken with TO or Jim for a month or so and I didn't discuss these problems with them. i'm gonna keep working on it to figure an easy way around this and if anyone out there has something i missed (which is VERY possible), please PM me...

one way or another...we should be able to get blu-rays out to those who want them this season. believe me...i'm working on it!! :)

jeff

Last edited:
X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Its not just as simple as buying a blu ray burner, it also has to be filmed in HD, sometimes it takes a few years to catch up to the big movie studios. Could you imagine having to buy all new camera equiptment to go high def for a small production company? I don't think it would be cheap, with all the speculation about where high def is headed, and the whole HD-DVD vs blu ray war, smaller film companies have probly been waiting for a declared winner before upgrading their equiptment for the High Def DVD world, now that there is a winner, I am sure we will see it soon enough, but not immediatly, blu ray was just declared the winner just 2 months ago.

Being as most people still watch DVD, and most people do not even have a blu ray drive, their gain would be minimal to go to ble ray right now, but the cost to be able to produce blue ray would be astronomical, just dosnt seem like a good decision to me.

Just my 2 cents, I could definetly be wrong :D

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
Its not just as simple as buying a blu ray burner, it also has to be filmed in HD, sometimes it takes a few years to catch up to the big movie studios. Could you imagine having to buy all new camera equiptment to go high def for a small production company? I don't think it would be cheap, with all the speculation about where high def is headed, and the whole HD-DVD vs blu ray war, smaller film companies have probly been waiting for a declared winner before upgrading their equiptment for the High Def DVD world, now that there is a winner, I am sure we will see it soon enough, but not immediatly, blu ray was just declared the winner just 2 months ago.

Being as most people still watch DVD, and most people do not even have a blu ray drive, their gain would be minimal to go to ble ray right now, but the cost to be able to produce blue ray would be astronomical, just dosnt seem like a good decision to me.

Just my 2 cents, I could definetly be wrong :D

all good points x-guy. i know i was waiting to see who would win the blu-ray VS HD-DVD battle and now that blu-ray has won...i'm ramping up on the burner side of things. most of the sled film guys i know are shooting in HD already this season but the costs of duplicating blu-ray and regular DVDs is gonna sting some of the guys. at then end of the day, we're all going to have to make an educated guess as to how many BRs and how many DVDs to duplicate. i think by next year, we'll have a better handle on it.

jeff

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
all good points x-guy. i know i was waiting to see who would win the blu-ray VS HD-DVD battle and now that blu-ray has won...i'm ramping up on the burner side of things. most of the sled film guys i know are shooting in HD already this season but the costs of duplicating blu-ray and regular DVDs is gonna sting some of the guys. at then end of the day, we're all going to have to make an educated guess as to how many BRs and how many DVDs to duplicate. i think by next year, we'll have a better handle on it.

jeff

What do you mean Blu Ray won???? I'm hoping they lose, otherwise what am I goingto do with the 300+ DVDs that I have. It may be better watch, but if people don't blu-ray players and start watching blu-ray...won't it kind of be like the VHS vs Beta years ago. DVDs will be around for years to come, and I believe your looking at LEAST a decade before more people are buying and watching blu ray vs DVD.

JMO

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
What do you mean Blu Ray won???? I'm hoping they lose, otherwise what am I goingto do with the 300+ DVDs that I have. It may be better watch, but if people don't blu-ray players and start watching blu-ray...won't it kind of be like the VHS vs Beta years ago. DVDs will be around for years to come, and I believe your looking at LEAST a decade before more people are buying and watching blu ray vs DVD.

JMO

the battle was between HD-DVD & Blu-Ray...not regular DVD and blu-ray. and it was exactly like the beta vs. vhs war (toshiba vs sony). this time, sony blu-ray won because they got overwhelming studio support from companies like disney, paramount, columbia, 20th century fox and finally, the nail in the coffin for HD-DVD-Toshiba, Warner Brothers.

regular DVDs will play in blu-ray players so you don't need to throw your collection out. but once you see the quality of a blu-ray (which is just another version of a Hi-def DVD) you find it tough to go back.

jeff

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN

JMO

LOL Yes Blue Ray won the battle. I believe it was decided about 2 months ago maybe 3.

I got the PS3 and have been watching Blue ray movies and they are sick! Even better on our new Samsung LCD with 120hz refresh rate!

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
LOL Yes Blue Ray won the battle. I believe it was decided about 2 months ago maybe 3.

I got the PS3 and have been watching Blue ray movies and they are sick! Even better on our new Samsung LCD with 120hz refresh rate!

Is there any way you can hook the PS3 into your surround system? I was thinking of getting a blue ray player, or the PS3. Just wanted to be able to listen to it in surround sound.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
the battle was between HD-DVD & Blu-Ray...not regular DVD and blu-ray. and it was exactly like the beta vs. vhs war (toshiba vs sony). this time, sony blu-ray won because they got overwhelming studio support from companies like disney, paramount, columbia, 20th century fox and finally, the nail in the coffin for HD-DVD-Toshiba, Warner Brothers.

regular DVDs will play in blu-ray players so you don't need to throw your collection out. but once you see the quality of a blu-ray (which is just another version of a Hi-def DVD) you find it tough to go back.

jeff

Thanks, that clarifies things for me...guess you can't stop progress. LOL

V

VRod

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I would say watching regular DVDs on the Blu-ray player and the quality of it's upconverting is way ahead of the upconverting a regular DVD player does, then stepping up to an actual Blu-ray disc is awesome.

We (SummitHD Films) will have Blu-ray discs which will be available only on our website sometime mid summer.

We have a couple 1080i HD cameras... I've duplicated a few Blu-ray discs of the footage and watched them on the 61" HDTV. Wow, I don't think I could ever watch another sled film in SD, it makes those green and orange Arctic Cats come to life.

As far as cost, from my research, it's about 10x the price to replicate Blu-ray discs compared to standard DVDs. Of course that will keep going down so hopefully in a couple years everything will be Blu-ray.

Got to get going, do an evening ride, the snotel is up a foot in the last 6 hrs!

Jake

Thunderstruck

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Helena, MT
www.bigskyx.com
I have talked to several producers and it seems everyone is filming in HD this year, whether it is 720p or 1080i. I am excited for this.

Let's sound off about this. . . WHO ACTUALLY HAS A BLU-RAY PLAYER AT HOME? WOULD A SLEDDING DVD PROMPT YOU TO BUY A BLU-RAY PLAYER?

JIM

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
No Blu Ray here.....and probably won't be for awhile. I do have a HD player (bought while cheap)....and I do love the upconverting it can do on regular DVD's (and nice to be able to purchase HD movies at reduced prices now).

With one company having the whole marketplace....well, I'll be waiting to purchase Blu Ray for a year or two.

Sledding flicks in Blu Ray wouldn't prompt me to buy.....I'll stick with upconverting until prices come down. Then again, I'm probably not your typical buyer of sled DVD's. I've dropped down from about 15 a year, to about 7 or 8 this past year. :eek:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I have a blue ray player, and I would -- er I WILL own sled films produced in blue ray format.

Boondockers will be going HD route next year. It will be a terribly expensive upgrade, but just thinking about the picture clarity and definition gives me, well you know what im talking about!

I for one refuse to watch and SD dvd. It looks like junk after watching blue ray movies.

Chubby,
I run my HDMI into my TV from the PS3 and then run the TV digital audio (uncompressed, orange cable) into my 5.1 surround sound. Its not the 7.1 sound, but its still freaking awesome.

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
I have talked to several producers and it seems everyone is filming in HD this year, whether it is 720p or 1080i. I am excited for this.

Let's sound off about this. . . WHO ACTUALLY HAS A BLU-RAY PLAYER AT HOME? WOULD A SLEDDING DVD PROMPT YOU TO BUY A BLU-RAY PLAYER?

JIM

Yes, was planning on it anyway. Perfect excuse to get it now. If three sledfilm companies offer it in Blu-ray, I will buy it. Of course I invest a ton of $ in films every summer/fall, so I may have a skewed opinion. :face-icon-small-win
BB

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I have a Blue Ray, I do the same as Phatty, HDMI into my TV and a fiber Optic to my 7.1 Reciever, I have a 62" DLP and HD is INCREDIBLE on it! I can't wait for sled flicks to start coming out on Blue Ray!

Premium Features