• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tear down for new Pistons-how far is far enough?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Silencer and reservoir can stay but its easier without the oil tank. You could have left the over-structure in place but it is easier without.

Just unbolt them all.

the intake side

what do i seperate on the intake side? i got the intake top and mid section off but whats all that crap on the intake side of the cylinders whare do i seperate it?
i can see the fuel filter has been in their a long long time is their a recmended good aftermarket cheap filter?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
what do i seperate on the intake side? i got the intake top and mid section off but whats all that crap on the intake side of the cylinders whare do i seperate it?
i can see the fuel filter has been in their a long long time is their a recmended good aftermarket cheap filter?

let me try and say this as nice as possible..... You have no idea what your getting into. I think you should stop before you get into big problems. You dont need to touch anything on the intake.

Here is a 2 minute video showing you the only thing that needs to come off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HguRsF4JSuY

let me try and say this as nice as possible..... You have no idea what your getting into. I think you should stop before you get into big problems. You dont need to touch anything on the intake.

Here is a 2 minute video showing you the only thing that needs to come off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HguRsF4JSuY

good movie thanks for that ...
i now see its the injectors that i was asking about seperating from the cylinder block
removing parts of the airbox intake was 4 simple clips that allow me to get my big hands in their to unhook /clip things.
no idea what im geting into? im not scared and i,'ll ask if i need help on anything at all so dont you worry your little head thanks anyway SEE YA

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Have you ever heard the phrase.... "You dont know what you dont know"?

That clearly applies to this situation. If you dont even know the parts that your taking off, or trying to take off that should be a red flag. Its very easy to screw this up, and very expensive when you do.

I wish you the best of luck. Eric

dont look here any more and it will not bother you any more, i am the one paying for my playing and it will all work out fine even if it is the first fuel injected sled i tamper with ever . its only a 2 stroke motor piston change going to happen , no big deal .
so the cylinders are off i have no broken cyl tabs and the pistons are worn . tomorow the new pistons and my cyl get checked at the machine shop

ASSO-W 3463 pistons come out of it today, they look well used so it was a good choice to pull it down now.
considering this machine is a 12 im lucky to have no cracked/broken cylinder skirts and my nicasil might be good i will know later how it specs out.
any one know the specs for side clearance on the con rods?

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
Piece of work. Eric is just trying to help you and probably save you time and money. He wouldn't have answered if it sounded like you knew what you were doing. That is what this forum is for helping other sled heads. I would suggest that you change your tone. You are a pieceofwork.

thank you so much, I look forward to helpful suggestion and shared knowledge and experience from hands on type do it yourself folks just like me.
I have built many different things and had satisfying results giving me great satisfaction. I have a manual and a torque wrench and a bull**** filter this peaceofwork project will turn out just fine even with out any condescending comments.

M
Feb 21, 2009
If I never had the courage to try something I knew little or nothing about, I would still know little or nothing about it. I thought these forums existed so that we could help each other out and learn. My hats off to you for diving in and challenging yourself. If you have any questions please feel free to keep asking, someone helpful will chime in.

As far as the cheap alternative for the fuel filter, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for on that stuff. That said, if your seeking a cheaper alternative, I would try to figure out how many parts per million that the factory one filters, and then find the corresponding slip fit filter at an auto parts store to splice into your fuel line in it's place.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I've rebuilt 2 stroke engine's but never a sled engine. Just because I didn't know how the airbox came off/on doesn't mean I didn't know what I was doing when it came to the actual engine rebuild. There are unique aspects to every sled/engine that only come from experience and learning from others.

I agree, these forums are supposed to be for folks to help each other but the negativity can be frustrating.

OP, good luck on your build and don't let the donkey-holes get you down.

Last edited:
I've rebuilt 2 stroke engine's but never a sled engine. Just because I didn't know how the airbox came off/on doesn't mean I didn't know what I was doing when it came to the actual engine rebuild. There are unique aspects to every sled/engine that only come from experience and learning from others .
This is so true , new things ,new tricks , I have replaced plenty of Pistons and cranks but not on a 12 RMk Pro.
Cheers

As far as the cheap alternative for the fuel filter, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for on that stuff. That said, if your seeking a cheaper alternative, I would try to figure out how many parts per million that the factory one filters, and then find the corresponding slip fit filter at an auto parts store to splice into your fuel line in it's place.

good points, i wonder how many psi this system makes? i read some place that the axys has no fuel filter at all i wonder if that is hard on the injectors?

I got lucky with my 12 cylinder no cracked tabs and both bores took a little honing to get to my piston specs,
the hone did not get pushed out the bottom but still did cut a crosshatch on the tabs.
.005 clearance and a couple good looking bore this is going to finish up quick after I get my piston pin bearings and filter.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Let us know how it works out for you.

I finally finished my Dragon 700 build and it started after the 3rd pull with a little help of starter fluid. I didn't bother trying to prime the fuel pump. I was amazed by how well it runs.

Make sure you put sealant on any bolt flange that is in contact wtih coolant. Most folks use case sealant but I used Permatex Rightstuff because you can use it right away and not wait 24 hours for it to cure. Forgot to put sealant on my thermostat bolts and had a small leak coming form flange areas that was easily fixed with some righstuff.

Fishing for ideas, gauges are out after new piston install!

I got the 12 pro together and running after a new top end install along with a new fuel filter, my gauges are not lit up but they worked great before I did the top end. At this point I have taken off the hood looking for connections not hooked up and un hooked and reconnected most all the conections twice. I still don't have a lit up dash, headlights work and hand warmers seem to work key or kill switch will shut it down.
Who has an idea or two for me to try?

Premium Features