• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo-Running Problem

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Considering my sled just blew up yesterday STOP running that turbo kit and pull your top ends off and check for damage before you blow up your motors.

I just pulled mine apart and it is cheaper to buy a new short block than parts to rebuild.

Also ran into a guy who lost his 16 last year with this kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are more than 600 Silber Axys kits out there. We can't guarantee that Polaris has all their issues figured out but rest assured if there was a problem with the kits word would get out. Im sorry your sled had an issue but to make such a statement is ignorant. I am aware of several that have had issues burning down but I also know that we have had several stockers go down. We pulled one apart at 1400 miles and it was mint and the rental sleds we have in West Yellowstone have a ton of miles on them.

The biggest issue we see is people not running the proper octane for the boost they are running, Exhaust valve relay failures and fuel pump failures......Nothing we can do about those with the turbo kit.

Last edited:

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Ignorant would be him not checking out his motor. Never did I say this is silbers fault. Only saying his issues are identical to what I had and he is crazy to not check things out.

Frankly the ignorance here is on your part.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Personally have heard this exact pop/stutter noise and as a precaution check compression often and look at piston wash and at the end of this season I'll be pulling the whole top end apart to check it out.
I'm at 418 miles so far this season and the sled was brand new when the turbo got put on. I haven't lost a single # of compression in either cylinder and am running 5# of boost at 240' up to 3000' elevation. 100LL AV gas with Klotz uplon mixed in seems so far to be perfect for a belt driven 155x2.6 800.

P

Prormk99

Aug 22, 2015
Running exact same as you paluby maybe heard this pop a few times other then that it runs perfect. Is this a tuning issue at low elevation or anyone no wats causing this yet?

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Given the number of posts lately about something similar on a BD or Silber seems like exhaust valves and potentially fuel delivery issues with a weak fuel pump? I dunno, but starting to see and here about more people fighting issues.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Given the number of posts lately about something similar on a BD or Silber seems like exhaust valves and potentially fuel delivery issues with a weak fuel pump? I dunno, but starting to see and here about more people fighting issues.

What spring were you running during this popping/sputter problem, 5lb? Anyone see this popping/sputter with the 3lb spring with silber at low elevation?

Last edited:

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Also, I'm running 3lb spring at 1000-1200 ft, venom 65g weights loaded 5g 5g 4g and it's very close. Runs 8400 up top, I still get an occasional over rev to 8600 in the mid range but that was on Rock hard snow. 16 rmk assault

Orange, any popping/sputter using the 3lb spring?

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
None on 3 so far. For the most part 5 is clean as well if you keep that rpm around 8350 but 3 is running crazy good.

O

orange2

Feb 1, 2010
No popping or sputtering for me unless it bangs off the rev limiter. Don't have much snow to test on anymore. Running approximately 40-50% av gas

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Ya it is not really bouncing off the Rev limiter. The actual rev limiter will throw it into Det mode. Keep the RPM close to 8350 and have fun, 3 pounds runs way good.

P

Prormk99

Aug 22, 2015
Just wanted to add I am running a boost gauge with my 3lb spring just to see what I am actually getting and it is around 4.5-5lbs on the gauge. I am mixing fuel accordingly for 5lbs at my elevation. Thought I would let everyone know so they got enough octane.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Just wanted to add I am running a boost gauge with my 3lb spring just to see what I am actually getting and it is around 4.5-5lbs on the gauge. I am mixing fuel accordingly for 5lbs at my elevation. Thought I would let everyone know so they got enough octane.

What gauge are you running? Mine is pretty spot on, at times ,maybe .5 over.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Just something to be aware of - the det sensor is not something to be relied on. In my experience, you can detonate without the ECU picking it up.

This is why making sure you are not over revving, you are fueling properly, running the right plugs etc is *so* important.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Jumping on another guy's 3# that Akfullthrottle installed recently, I had just as much fun if not more than my 5# setup. Our snow currently leaves something to be desired but have thought about with our low elevation maybe the 3# is the best of both worlds.

Premium Features