• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Feedback

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
This turbo thread is tired, so I figured I would bring it back to life and hopefully not start a pissing match.

I am putting my deposit down today with Vohk on a turbo for my 2013. Not sure if I will have Erik install it or not yet, but really just looking for some guys who have worked with Vohk and had last years kit.

I don't want crazy boost, 8lbs max, something just for tree riding.

Interested to see what you guys thought of last years kit and setup you ran.

PLEASE NO THIS THAT AND ANOTHER TURBO IS BETTER...JUST BOONDOCKER

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Ran BD pump gas kit all season, 7lbs and straight pump gas all the time. Engine went 1/3 of the season, because of ****ty Polaris pistons and stock compression. Rebuilt the top end of it and ran 9lb on RkTek head and Wössner pistons for the rest of the season. Wouldnt want another turbo kit ever.

S

St0rm77

Oct 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Alberta
threw a BD race gas kit on the 'ol 09 assault last year..... its true what i was told.... and that would be don't do it; cause every sled you own after will need boost!
i had bought the kit used from a fellow snowester, and i couldn't be happier.... ran 50/50 premium and 108 race... flawless!!

ooop.... and running 8 lbs @7000 ish feet.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
I'm another victim... got my first boosted sled last winter and I can't go back to non-boosted. Running the BD EBC kit on 100LL av Gas at 8.2 #s boost. Amazed at the rideability of this sled. Had some experience on a turbo 10 years ago and the improvements are amazing. No fussing, no fouling plugs, no sloppy performance at certain throttle positions... Couldn't be happier.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more action. There must be more users out there that have boondocker turbos...

Biggest reason people visit forums is to get tips and to resolve problems. Seeing few people post here about turbo kits is in my opinion a good thing, not bad :)

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Meh only reason BD is around is cause they sponsor big name riders so all the noobs think there the only kit, which in reality you need the Vipec or boost-it box to make a turbo run:face-icon-small-ton.... Well at least that's what everyone will tell you on the forums.

I did the same as you Edavis, snowchecked a new Pro and BD turbo with VOHK last spring. This has been a long summer lol...

After reading the forums a lot and researching a turbo kit I would have never even considered going this route till I seen a VOHK built 13' Pro at 7psi on the mountain, I was blown away at how good that thing ran. So crisp and responsive and with a 155 and only 7psi it was making an a$$ out of my buddies TSS turbo'd Etec at 10psi and a 163, both stock track and skid.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Not to derail your thread but have you heard anything more about what's new for them this year? They going with the Bullydog ECU for sure? Heard they might be doing a different CAI that takes air from the stock vents instead of sticking the filter out the hood.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
From what I gathered while talking with them they are not fully on board with the bully dog yet. They feel that their electronics are ahead of where the bully dog currently is at. They will offer it as an option for those that really want it, but not recommended. They said they may have it as an option to use in conjunction with their electronics so they can get better control over timing and off boost fueling I believe. They really like running the extra injectors, and I don't think you can with the bully dog. They also like the way their EBC and altitude compensation works and I don't believe those are options on the bully dog. They said at some point down the road they might use just the bully dog, but for now they like their electronics better. I didn't ask about CAI. They should have a new updated website out in the next few days with this stuff by the sounds of it.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
This is what boondocker said about the CAI. "Our PRO Turbo System for 2014 has a new cold air intake which connects to the stock cold air intake (plenum) with a 3” high flow tubular design for increased throttle response with no hood modifications. So what you may have seen coming up thru the hood has changed."

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Haha I hear ya there. It's looking like I'm going to have to ride NA this year and I'm not too stoked about that.

On a more related note, ive been impressed with bd electronics lately. I havent run into a kit of theirs in the last 2 years that wasnt running good. And regardless of what people on here say I spent over half the winter tryin to make the boost-it box work and sent it back. Could be that I ride sea level, but the differences in what I was told it would do and what it did....I won't buy from them again.

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
I bought a used Bd race gas kit this spring and i am running only 100LL (avgas). Not going back to natural aspirated, ever..

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I hear you on not wanting to go back to NA. I've had a t-pro for 2 seasons and I'm pretty darn torn on riding stock this year on my new to me 13. If money allows I won't, hopefully I get that figured out soon...

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Talked with Erik this afternoon and got my deposit put down. Details from Boondocker still aren't complete, but there will be some options to fit everyone's riding style and boost needs.

I ended up with:

2860GT
Non-Intercooler
Tial
8lbs
with 50/50 AV/91 mix

Should be a solid year!:face-icon-small-coo

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
From what I gathered while talking with them they are not fully on board with the bully dog yet. They feel that their electronics are ahead of where the bully dog currently is at. They will offer it as an option for those that really want it, but not recommended. They said they may have it as an option to use in conjunction with their electronics so they can get better control over timing and off boost fueling I believe. They really like running the extra injectors, and I don't think you can with the bully dog. They also like the way their EBC and altitude compensation works and I don't believe those are options on the bully dog. They said at some point down the road they might use just the bully dog, but for now they like their electronics better. I didn't ask about CAI. They should have a new updated website out in the next few days with this stuff by the sounds of it.

This is what boondocker said about the CAI. "Our PRO Turbo System for 2014 has a new cold air intake which connects to the stock cold air intake (plenum) with a 3” high flow tubular design for increased throttle response with no hood modifications. So what you may have seen coming up thru the hood has changed."

That is kinda the way I took it when I talked to Erik that he was gonna tune with the Bullydog and still have the Boondocker box to control the extra
injectors but maybe I heard wrong. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I seen this picture awhile ago, I am guessing this it what the new CAI is gonna look like
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...58786763.55924.152655401436313&type=1&theater

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Talked with Erik this afternoon and got my deposit put down. Details from Boondocker still aren't complete, but there will be some options to fit everyone's riding style and boost needs.

I ended up with:

2860GT
Non-Intercooler
Tial
8lbs
with 50/50 AV/91 mix

Should be a solid year!:face-icon-small-coo

Nice:face-icon-small-coo... that is gonna be sweet all around mountain sled... Did Erik say how much boost you can get away with on 50/50 AV/91? I was planning on running 10lbs would be nice to only have to run 50/50 instead of straight AV

Premium Features