• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 pro want to turbo it, but don't know what turbo to get.

S

silberpro

Aug 3, 2012
No comparison.
Boost-it. Better electronics, and a Water air intercooler, just to point out a couple of things.
But hey more money, I have heard on hear before, you get what you pay for!!!

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
How did the BD's compare to the Boost-it?

From what I saw and experienced they were both very similar in performance there were some minor differences in the sleds and riders but for hill climbing both went anywhere and fast, in the trees no difference. We only rode as a group for one day though. Both setups ran clean no hesitation burbles etc. BD guys said putting the intake out through the hood was a plus from under the hood.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
No comparison.
Boost-it. Better electronics, and a Water air intercooler, just to point out a couple of things.
But hey more money, I have heard on hear before, you get what you pay for!!!

Oh really you've seen them run side by side huh? I know what components they both run... I wanted to know reall world experience

S

silberpro

Aug 3, 2012
Seen
Boondocker 2012 Pro Riding partner
Silber My Sled
Tss 2011 Freeride 174x3 Riding Partner
Boost-it Neils 2013
and H&M 2013 demo 7lbs 162x3 Rode it at Revy (nice sled)
Seen them all go. Rode with them all.
On the same day on the same hill.
Neils Sled flat out RIPS
But hey, no doubt its the whole package. The sled is built from top to bottom

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Leaning toward boost it but my fear with NM is his attitude I haven't had much to do with him but his reputation for being a dink haunts him. Talked to buddy today with the good running bd he said with all his extras he was 9k too. Snow checked my pro today, going to be a long summer.

S

silberpro

Aug 3, 2012
Neil is great with me, and I have a Silber kit. (no love lost there)
I bought the Boost-it box and motor mounts. (great products)
I get the group email, of any updates and what is new.
With Neils products and tuning tips, my sled works great.
I would buy from him again, and if I were to start over there is 0 doubt in my mind were I would go.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
there is no need to carry a lap top around. yes it will take one ride to get your corrctions dialed and make sure everything works correctly but after that rock on. i have one sled that has been ridden by everyone and there dogs. been to the hill over 100 times and has never even hooked the lap top to it since the first data logs where done. dont hate the vipec until you have tried it.

so hypothetically speaking, what needs to be done to run the vipec with a boondocker turbo kit.

Ephratafarmer

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ephrata, Wa
So if i was to buy a pro turbo kit you would say silber is the best possible kit out there and that i would have 1000's of trouble free miles with nothing but a smile. Or are you just saying that because its the cheapest and its what you own.

Some times ya feel like not even responding, but what ever. What I stated was my personal experience, nothing more nothing less. I didn't bad mouth anybodys kit, didn't praise mine just stated what it has done for me. So for the money I spent and the fun I've had it's been great. An by the way 2 more flawless rides, that makes 18 this yr. Who knows what will happen next ride, part of life. Shouldn't read more into a statement than what it says.

M

Muldonc

Dec 2, 2011
BC
there is no need to carry a lap top around. yes it will take one ride to get your corrctions dialed and make sure everything works correctly but after that rock on. ....never even hooked the lap top to it since the first data logs where done. dont hate the vipec until you have tried it.

I agree with brycter about the Vipec. I have a 2012 HM recently updated with the closed loop EBC and mapping to go with it. All updates required to the mapping have been done on the net from 1100 miles away. Download the Vipec software, plug sled into laptop, phone em up and share the laptop with em. It has been truly pull and go for 700 miles in the past 2 months. Vipec is your one stop tuning station as it can sense and control everything. The only problem I've had was under revving by 300 rpms. Spark plug loosened off. Feel like the fella with the pink shocks.

Tuning for elevation, don't have to worry about that any more just fill er up and go.

Given the initial mapping needs to be done by a pro, that's what these guys get paid for when you by their kits. My hunch is their R&D has got the mapping darn close. IMO this is an advancement in turbo technology when it comes to tuning and I don't think it's going away.

modrmk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Kemmerer, WY.
Give us a try for your turbo needs...We are a small business with a decent clientel. We work very hard to make each of our customers happy. Contact us for references. All of our customers are happy and that is the way it should be.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I agree with brycter about the Vipec. I have a 2012 HM recently updated with the closed loop EBC and mapping to go with it. All updates required to the mapping have been done on the net from 1100 miles away. Download the Vipec software, plug sled into laptop, phone em up and share the laptop with em. It has been truly pull and go for 700 miles in the past 2 months. Vipec is your one stop tuning station as it can sense and control everything. The only problem I've had was under revving by 300 rpms. Spark plug loosened off. Feel like the fella with the pink shocks.

Tuning for elevation, don't have to worry about that any more just fill er up and go.

Given the initial mapping needs to be done by a pro, that's what these guys get paid for when you by their kits. My hunch is their R&D has got the mapping darn close. IMO this is an advancement in turbo technology when it comes to tuning and I don't think it's going away.

If I am not mistaken spark plugs backing out may be detonation might want to look into it

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
i am not going to tell you guys my whole set up as you can't buy some of the parts i have any ways. What i can tell you is after doing alot of testing with the newest version of boondockers intercooled race gas kit, it is possible to run 14 pounds of boost on strait race gas and it is alot of fun. don't see any other kits running as good as my sled does now. went riding with a twisted turbo 1000 and aerocharged xm. kinda like riding with trail sleds:D

Last edited:
B
Boondocker kit w/Vipec

I don't usually post on here, but I am hoping to actually add something of a little value to anyone who might want it. I have a 2012 Pro Rmk that I put a Non-Intercooled Boondocker Kit on before last season. The setup was fine except I could never get the fueling right and was always having to mess with it. Now, I admit I am not a knowledgeable fuel tuner, nor do I want to be. I want the power that a turbo adds, but honestly I don't want to mess with becoming an all-encompassing turbo tuner guru. Towards the end of last season I had Bryce from TurboBoyz put a Vipec on my boondocker kit. He left my boondocker kit as is with the exception of installing a handful of sensors that the Vipec requires. He installed a base map and off to the hill I went. I did several data logs during various riding throughout the day. The sled ran night and day better, but was in no way perfectly tuned. Once I got home, I called Bryce up; he remote logged into my Vipec and walked me through all the data logs and what they were showing. He then fixed all the problem areas and explained what and why he was changing it. I only got to ride my sled a couple more times after that, but to say my sled ran great would be an understatement. I have never taken a laptop with me.

My advice would be to find a kit that suits YOUR needs and capabilities. I am in no way upset with Boondocker. Their controller I'm sure works fine for most. I am not a turbo tuner and it was apparent from my attempts at it. I made the decision that I only want to ride my sled and not tune it also. The Vipec allowed me to do that. I honestly have no idea if the Vipec is the only box like it on the market or if there are better options. I do know this though, in my area I have TurboBoyz and they are used to and are good with the Vipec. That makes it easy for me to get support and help tuning my sled. I don't think there is necessarily a beats all turbo kit out there. Do some research for your area, what are the guys that are good at tuning running? This is ultimately important because if you have problems with your sled they are gonna be the ones you turn to for help. If they know nothing about your setup then it will be more difficult for them to get your sled running good and ultimately cause you frustration. Unless you wanna do it all on your own, find a good tuner in your area that you trust and run what he is running. If you run XYZ setup with XYZ tuner, but the closest person that can help you with it is 1500 miles away then they're gonna be sitting at the bottom of the hill all day. The Vipec can be remotely logged into and changed, but the rest of your kit can't.

I have no idea if my sled is the best compared to someone else’s. I know that I am happy with it right now and I have local help if I need it. I also know that the Vipec is expensive, but I look at it like this. I have a BMW with factory twin turbos, and they didn't sell it to me with a piggyback fuel controller on it that only monitors and controls a couple things. If you want your sled to run like a factory machine with a factory installed turbo, you have to have a computer that can monitor and adjust several key components. I know that BMWs and sleds are WAY different, but you get my point.

Anyway, sorry for the book, I just wanted to give my .02 on the matter. It's just my perspective on the matter, but hey, what do I know; I couldn't even tune my sled.
:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
S

snoman681

Feb 11, 2008
turbo

spend the money and buy a push with the vipeck ecu we sell them the tuning is done by me seven weeks last spring they work flawless sled runs better than stock trails woods hills moguls never hickups just rips snow country customs llc

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
Boondocker, enough said. Intercooled kit will run you $5800 plus tax and install if not done by yourself. Non intercooled kit is $1200 cheaper
Good kit but if you want the best for a pro go to boost it best kit for the pro.

A

A.L

Jan 17, 2012
BOOST IT hands down
I rode Neil's 13 pro to the bottom of a chute in revy did not dare climb into it since I told him if I wreck it I will buy it. The kit flat out rips and runs so good and no fooling around on the hill and I could not get it to sputter no matter how hard and what i tried. I will be running his HO water to air kit this winter along with 2 of my riding partners.
Try a boost it kit on the snow before buy a cheaper kit its worth the extra $$$$$$$$.

Oh let it snow Brrrrrraaaaaaappppppop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

vertical800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Columbus, ND
I would love to get a BOOST-IT setup myself but didn't Neil say he wont sell to US customers anymore? I talked to Neil last year about his setups and he was very excited about them and said he wasn't really pushing the systems as they were the first year of them out. He said to wait till this season and they'd be good to go with them and then this spring he announces Boost-It would no longer be dealing with US customers. I was really planning on bringing my Pro up to him this summer/fall and get the Boost-It system installed but after I read about no sales to the US this spring I never bothered to get back with him anymore on them. I hope Neil will reconsider his decision not to sell to the US guys and let us have one of the best turbo systems out there.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I would love to get a BOOST-IT setup myself but didn't Neil say he wont sell to US customers anymore? I talked to Neil last year about his setups and he was very excited about them and said he wasn't really pushing the systems as they were the first year of them out. He said to wait till this season and they'd be good to go with them and then this spring he announces Boost-It would no longer be dealing with US customers. I was really planning on bringing my Pro up to him this summer/fall and get the Boost-It system installed but after I read about no sales to the US this spring I never bothered to get back with him anymore on them. I hope Neil will reconsider his decision not to sell to the US guys and let us have one of the best turbo systems out there.

Pretty sure you can take your sled up to him and have it built... He's just not shipping any products to the US. Getting stuff across the border is a PITA

Premium Features