• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best bang for my buck???

JAW

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2009
Kettle Falls, Steamboat Springs, CO
Hey guys,

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic lately but I'm also in need of some advice. I just sold my 05 Toyota Tacoma and am looking at purchasing my first Diesel. My Dad has owned Diesel's my whole life so I am familiar with them and know what I am getting myself into. With that being said I can't decide which way I want to go.

My Dad has offered to sell me his 2007 F-350 CCSB Lariat with 150k for $19,000. I am aware of this issues with the 6.0's as we have had a few with the truck. However, my Dad is very meticulous with the maintenance of his vehicles and toys. I have also read that after market head studs, EGR delete and re location of coolant pump adds considerable life to the 6.0's It does have a Bullydog programer but has been un plugged for the last 20K after the tranny was re built. Pro's to the truck are that I know it has been taken excellent care of and I know the trucks history. It also comes with chrome, tires, wheels, fender flares, bed cover, snow tires, bullydog etc...it really is a clean looking truck. Cons are that it is a 6.0 that has had three hard winters on it as a plow truck and has done its fair share of heavy towing.

Other options that I have considered:

04-06 Dodge Cummins. The 5.9's appeal to me but I am skeptical of the tranny's and front ends and also have never driven/been around a dodge.

04-06 Duramax: Of coure the Alison tranny appeals here as well as the ride.

Things that are playing into my decision:

I work as a snowmobile guide in CO during the winters and use a deck to hall my sleds around. I need a dependable truck that will get me to work every morning and that is able to make long trips on my days off to hit other riding areas. I know a lot of guys spend a lot of money on after market goodies for their trucks but I'm not trying to build a 500 HP truck that has potential to be a money pit...just need something that gets me to the hill and back. I should be able to plug the truck in most nights but there will be a handful of times that I won't be able to so a truck that can start in Cold weather is a must. I'm not completely against doing mods that can help the life of the truck but building a big rig with lots of HP is not my number 1 priority. Ideally, I would like something that looks nice, drives nice and won't be a huge money pit...every one's dream right???

With all the above mentioned I am aware that no truck is perfect and any purchase has some kind of a risk to it...but like I said I am new to the game and would appreciate advice from people more knowledgeable than myself. I'm 23 years old and this is my first major purchase of my life so I want to make sure I do it right. I have saved enough money that I could put $23,000 into a truck and anything above that I would have to look into a loan...which I have also considered. I do have established credit and can get approved for a loan at fairly low rate but I would like to believe that I can find a truck with relativley low miles in my price range that is capable of doing what I need it to do. I don't see any reason in buying new at my age other than having a truck with warranty.

Not looking at bashing other brands or starting a thread of my Dad can beat up your Dad...just looking for others opinions/insights on my potential purchase that is a big deal to me.

Thanks,

JW

M

merlin2569

Jan 13, 2008
Clarkfield, MN
Well, I have heard of people that have the 6.0's and absolutely love them. Haven't had trouble with them and they never touch them. With that said i have had a 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 Ford. Loved the 7.3 but it was up to 200,000 miles so decided it was time to get rid of it. Got a 6.0 drove it for almost 2 years had a lot of problems with it, truck rode nice and had good power. In the end had to many problems with the 6.0 and traded it for a 6.4. The 6.4 was by far the best of all the fords as far as ride and power went. In the year that I owned the 6.4 I put a new engine, new transmission, new DPF system, and several other small things. All things were covered by warranty which helped but sick of truck being in shop, so once again i sold and went back to a 7.3 and had good luck with it again.

Just recently (less than two months ago) sold my 7.3 and found very nice 2005 Chevy Duramax and have been very happy with it so far. The mileage is much better than any of the fords i have had. Love the tranny really shifts nice. The power seems to be very good, however haven't pulled anything really heavy so far. The ride quality of the chevy is great.

Haven't had a lot of experience with the 5.9's. Have a few friends with them and they absolutely love them. The mileage is good with them also from what i've seen.

Hope this helps. In the end you should go and test drive all of them and see which one you like the best. Don't go with one just because its a good deal. Good luck with your purchase.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I would vote for the dmax. But im a chevy guy. My buddy had a 6.0 and if it was 0 or below if it wasn't pluged in it wouldnt start. Now i don't know on the older durmaxs but my 08 will start at -15 with no problems not being plugged in. Now im not telling you that you don't need to plug it in cause it will help with wear and stuff but at least i know mine will start if the condition rises wear i don't have the choice to plug it in. Plus it rides great and the ally tranny is great. Good luck

N

niles

Jan 5, 2009
nw iowa
I drive a duramax, and in my honest opinion i have seen no reason for you to need a diesel. If you want on thats great, they make tons of power and make pulling effortlessly. If i were you i would consider an 07 or newer gm 6.0 gasser with the 6spd tranny. It would be in your cash budget if you search around.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I drive a duramax, and in my honest opinion i have seen no reason for you to need a diesel. If you want on thats great, they make tons of power and make pulling effortlessly. If i were you i would consider an 07 or newer gm 6.0 gasser with the 6spd tranny. It would be in your cash budget if you search around.
I was going to throw this out there as well. I know its the cool thing to have a diesel and if you're set on one, no prob.

BUT, if reliability and low cost of maintenance/ownership are your priorities I wouldn't rule out a gas truck particularily if it will tow/haul what you need. You will get a newer model with more options within your budget....maybe even some warranty remaining. Or with enough money remaining for the accessories you will need. They are easier on front end components, all maintenance is basically half price. I dunno....doesn't sound bad to me.

On another note.....from what I've seen over the years buying/selling at an impartial dealership (Toyota)....if I were buying a diesel in that year/price range it would be a d-max no questions asked. Have seen too many little things go wrong with the Fords (in addition to the usual big things), and Dodge's are too hard on front end components for my tastes (and I hate the interiors/comfort). Ford 7.3's are good trucks and everyone recommends them BUT....but you have to remember that the newest 7.3L truck is still 10 years old at this point. Even if the motor is good....everything else has seen 10 years of weather and use. I have had an injector go in a D-max and while it's not cheap, at least it's an easy/quick issue to diagnose and fix and typically doesn't leave you stranded.

Ford 6.0's scare me......BUT if you are dead set on a diesel, you are probably (maybe/kinda) as well off with your dad's as anything. When they drive they drive real nice and some work great forever. If you are the type to not keep a vehicle for many years, and would be selling it after a year or 2....I would let pops have the fun of selling a 6.0L and just get something else.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
It's a toss up between the Cummins or the Dmax. Deciding factor, if you want/need an auto trans, get the Dmax. If you want or don't mind a handshaker then consider the Dodge.
Dmax I'd look for an 05-07 LLY or LBZ engine. 04s still had more injector problems.
Dodge, I'd say any of the 3rd Gen 5.9's are about the same, but I prefer the 06-07 G56 manual trans to the 03-05 NV5600 trans.
I've had both, an 02 Dmax that never gave me any injector problems. 1 pwr window motor and 1 trans NSBU (neutral safety) switch, in 100k mi.
My current 07 Dodge 5.9, manual trans, 100k mi now, 1 injector line, 2 steering boxes, 3rd steering/hydroboost pump and a clutch. Clutch wasn't the truck/s fault. Other than the steering boxes/pumps, the front end is still solid. Orig bj's, tie rods, track bar, etc and it still drives straight down the road.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
If you follow the mentality of why have a diesel (and do you really need one), then we could all question why we spend so much on snowmobiles. It's freak'n awesome and fun and I'd say the same for diesels.

I'm a Chevy guy but I'd pick the Dmax too. The Ford's just had too many issues, good chassis/body but too many problems. The Cummins is a great motor but several years Dodge had a bad tranny. Talk to the Dodge guys for specifics. The Dmax is not w/o it's issues (injectors for one) but I've had two and they have been reliable. The 06/07 LBZ is the cream of the crop with the big motor and 6spd tranny plus no DPF or DEF. The 03-05's are great on mileage and have the 5 spd Allison with engine braking. Some cheap mods make those trucks wicked!

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I would vote for the dmax. But im a chevy guy. My buddy had a 6.0 and if it was 0 or below if it wasn't pluged in it wouldnt start. Now i don't know on the older durmaxs but my 08 will start at -15 with no problems not being plugged in. Now im not telling you that you don't need to plug it in cause it will help with wear and stuff but at least i know mine will start if the condition rises wear i don't have the choice to plug it in. Plus it rides great and the ally tranny is great. Good luck

I got a lot of crap from several Chevy guys on this forum when I posted that I witnessed a Chevy that didn't want to start when it was cold an unplugged. Be careful they don't like to hear the truth. Glad to hear they may have it fixed.

Last edited:

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
Can't beat a 5.9 for durability. If I was puter savy enough I'd post pics of the 05 we had in today knockin on the door of 900k. Never opened the motor up except for an injector here and there. And don't be afraid of the trannys, I think they get alittle more criticiszm than warranted. Majority of the trans I've seen tore up are in modified trucks. A 5.9 will have a 48re which is solid but a valve body and convertor go a long way, have seen zero 68rfe's apart in my shop. Again any trans can have issue beyond stock hp levels. Check out cumminsforum.com, very informative, and theres classifieds:face-icon-small-coo

On the other hand knowing the history of something is huge in my book. Like you stated new gaskets, some studs, egr delete and a tuner your set. 6.0's have pretty stout bottom ends. 19 sounds alittle steep for one with that kind of mileage in my opinion.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Can't beat a 5.9 for durability. If I was puter savy enough I'd post pics of the 05 we had in today knockin on the door of 900k. Never opened the motor up except for an injector here and there. And don't be afraid of the trannys, I think they get alittle more criticiszm than warranted. Majority of the trans I've seen tore up are in modified trucks. A 5.9 will have a 48re which is solid but a valve body and convertor go a long way, have seen zero 68rfe's apart in my shop. Again any trans can have issue beyond stock hp levels. Check out cumminsforum.com, very informative, and theres classifieds:face-icon-small-coo

On the other hand knowing the history of something is huge in my book. Like you stated new gaskets, some studs, egr delete and a tuner your set. 6.0's have pretty stout bottom ends. 19 sounds alittle steep for one with that kind of mileage in my opinion.

I have an 06 Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummins and 6 speed manual. I was listening to the internet and was afraid of the automatic tranny. If I had it to do over again I would have got the auto. What I later learned from real Dodge owners, was that the auto tranny problems were resulting from guys using Banks (and other after market set-ups) to pump out a tremendous amounts of hp and torque and then pulling loads that no stock truck from any manufacturer was able to handle over the long haul. I have been a Ford guy most of my life and I presently own a Ford and the above mentioned Dodge. I will probably never own any thing but a dodge going forward.

T
I had an 04 SB 3/4 ton Dodge and loved it. Pulled a toyhauler and a four place enclosed trailer and it ran great. Never plugged it in over the 8 years I owned it. I am not a gadget guy so I left it bone stock. I traded it in on a 12Dodge 1 ton LB. Kind of miss that truck except for the room in the backseat. I never sat there anyway though. Guess the wife and kid are alot happier with the room :juggle:

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I would skip the 6L chevy it will use so much fuel that it will cost as much to run/maintain as the diesel. If you can find a chev with the 8.1 on the other hand then snap it up. Way more power than the 6L and usually better mileage.

The dodge front ends and transmissions get a worse rap than they deserve. The chev front end is sure no godsend either, we run a half dozen in the bush and they go through front ends like anything else and a few t-cases. The dodge trans is the weakest of the big 3 but it's also the cheapest to build to bulletproof and as said above if used responsibly it will hold up. If you think you can add 120hp and 220ft/lbs of torque with no transmission upgrades it will go but so will the allison it just takes longer. Upgrade the transmission programming and it will handle mild power upgrades just fine. The key is being preventative not reactionary to it. My folks have a dodge 3500 48re with larger tires, intake, exhaust, programmer and regularly haul their 10.5' heavy *** camper with a boat behind it and it hasn't given them a lick of trouble.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
I would skip the 6L chevy it will use so much fuel that it will cost as much to run/maintain as the diesel. If you can find a chev with the 8.1 on the other hand then snap it up. Way more power than the 6L and usually better mileage.

^I don't know about that. A buddy of mine had an 8.1 and that thing was a gas guzzler.

I'd stay away from the ford 6.0. Seen to many big issues with them. My dad had a 06 that he bought new in 06 maintained meticulously. Last November at 150-160 thousand miles it died, egr problems. He traded in for a new 6.7, dam nice truck. Before that was a 7.3. Good truck but didn't like the cold. I don't know much about the 6.4.

Ya the 01-04 Dmax's had injector problems. I've got a 06 Dmax's that is a great truck. Cold starts are no problem. I can't plug in at work and it's never hesitated down to 15 below. Ya I'm one of those who don't need the diesel but it sure is fun to have.

Dodges I've heard of front end issues but stout power train.

C
Well i have a modded 24v cummins and if they arent plugged in they are kind of a pain to start. Just like most deisels i've been around. i dont run a sled deck or anything but i have a $300 dollor or so generatior that i have in the bed of my truck its a little champion that if its below 0 and i am up at our cabin or out riding that i pull out with a little 20' etention cord and i start it up and plug it in. it doesnt have much to do with the thread but i just noticed your not plugging it in all the time part and thats the first thing to come to mind.

R
Mar 16, 2010
I have an 04.5 Dodge 2500 cclb, 6sp manual. I've only owned it for 10k miles, (118k currently), so far, no regrets. The NV5600 tranny has given me no issues, but it IS kinda notchy and clunky. Power is great, 20mpg unloaded is great, I don't mind the interior, although I do like Ford's interior better.

I'm not really brand loyal - maybe 40% Ford, 30% each Dodge/Chevy. I like Fords a little better than the other two, all else equal. My budget kept me in the 6.x Ford range, and after some reading about Ford 6.nos, I decided against that.

I also wanted a manual, so no Chevy.

7.3 liter Ford (at LEAST 10 years old, as noted) or a Dodge. Wound up with the Dodge. No regrets at all, wound up with a Laramie version, the interior is fine, shrug, so far, so good.....

C
Feb 8, 2008
I had an 03 dodge. I had front end problems (ball joints and u-joints) at around 100,000 miles, a solenoid in the transmission at around 90,000 miles, and at 130,000 miles the rear end was just beginning to wear out. Other than that is was just routine mantainance. The fuel mileage was great. I never once plugged it in and at -25 the motor would crank over slow but always started. The thing I hated about that truck was how long it took for the motor to warm up when it was cold.

Premium Features