• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclaw bob's report from Cooke city

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Sunday and still warm

The snowman let me down. He changed the forecast to the temp's staying in the mid 30 and around 3 inches of snow today and tonight. He did change the winter storm warning to 6 am Monday. :face-icon-small-con
Then the we might see snowshowers through out the week.

I had several guys come in and said they saw a avalanche yesterday. They stated it was big enough to cover you up. They also reported that the snow is getting deeper on the mountain, because of the colder temp's.

If things change, I'll give you a update this afternoon.

Some people have taken advantage of the free cup of coffee in the mornings.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Its that time of year again bob. Dad and I are planning on heading your direction the second week in January again this year. We haven't booked yet but will soon. Gonna be renting a sled this year. No more wrenching on old worn out sleds at night. haha. Keep doing the snow dance and look forward to those biscuits and gravy

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
upgrade to premium today

I did. Lifetime member too. Got sick of not being able to stay current with threads that really interest me. I held out for quite a while but in the end the "Man" always gets yah :face-icon-small-win

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Something to report

The snowman fooled us, he had been stating only a 30% chance yesterday and today. Well, it started snowing yesterday and we picked up about 4 inches. Today its still snowing and we picked up about 2-3 more. Yes its still snowing.:bounce: The bad thing is the temps climbed back in the mid 30's. The snow is heavy and wet.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: With the new snow we have gotten over the last week, along with winds building cornices and meaty drifts, this will create unstable conditions. So today, the danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on all wind-loaded terrian. All other slopes will have a MODERATE danger.

The bakery would like to say THANK YOU to everyone that has stopped in, of course I will say the same to all. :face-icon-small-hap

Christmas is coming upon us, is everyone ready for it.

I've had a lot of people either email me or call about race gas. Its made by SUNCO at 110 octane.

Come in and check out all the new things that I've added.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Woke up to 8 below this morning, at this time its 6 below. Cooke picked up about 20 inches of new snow in the past 48 hours, before turning cold. Course the high was 12 above yesterday. The snowman is calling for more snow tonight, with the temps in the lower teens.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Fresh wind slabs are the primary avalanche problem, however, avalanches could easily break deeper in the snowpack. The snowpack in the Cooke City area is generally strong, but everything has its breaking point. Avalanches are likely on wind loaded slopes steeper than 35 degreeswhere the avalanche danger is rated HIGH. On all Other slopes we see at CONSIDERABLE.

Wow, what a morning at the bakery. Terri again thanks everyone for stopping in and having breakfast. A few this morning got up early and came in for that FREE cup of coffee. Remember the bakery opens at 6 am. Terri is also thinking about having that great PRIME RIB she had last year. If you want her to do this, tell her if you do. :face-icon-small-hap

Don't forget I fill BCA and SNOW PULSE canistors and I also rent and sell avalanche equipment. Guys to took advantage on the warm garage last night, when they heard the temps are going to drop below zero. I also let guys work on their sleds, with hand tools included.

Have a great week and hope to see you before Christmas.

The Super Eight is running a special again this year. Two people for two nights will save you money. Call for the special and tell them you saw it on SNOWEST.:jaw:

C

cyclone340

Dec 18, 2010
Bob,
I have doubter's that its good up there in Cooke with all this fresh stuff coming down from the 3rd thru the 10th of December. I haven't been able to prove to them at it is deep powder other than some second hand stories. Can you let us know if this new set of storms has got things good?

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
maybe I can help

here is a picture from rex the destroyer, quay and gentry painter and my 900 RMK from cooke saterday

385160_229007650566095_1965911667_n.jpg

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Mlosey131
upy2a8ar.jpg

And Rex going downhill
e4y6ymeg.jpg

We rode both days around daisy. I probed a few times and it was around 6-8 feet. Plenty to ride and its supposed to snow more this week!

Sent from my iPhone via magic!

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WOW

This is the first day I didn't have to go plow. The snowman is still calling for more snow for the next week. We have about 5.5 feet of fresh powder up on the mountain. I will say, that you will get stuck.

Like I said, the snowman is calling for snow each day, not alot, an inch or two each day. At this time the sun is trying to come out. :bounce:

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The mountains near Cooke City received more snow more often than the rest of the advisory area. Consequently, the snowpack is deep and strong on most but not all slopes. For today human triggered avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

It has started off being a busy weekend. It sure is nice to see everyone from last year.

The bakery is wondering if people would be interested in prime rib for New's Years Eve. Let Terri know.

Bearclaw offers a place to work on your sleds or store them out of the weather at night, stop in and see Bob.

We can fill your canister for BCA and Snow Pulse avy bags.

We have started renting sleds out.

M

m7maniac

Jan 30, 2008
SE ND
the big white freightliner will be in town tomorrow night. again same as last year, the d-bag's name at the poker table in the soda butte is scott, dont take him serious :)

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
what a week

Finally got caught up on plowing from yesterday and the snowman is calling for another couple of days with clear skies. We had 18 below this morning and the high was 7 above. BRRRRRRRRRR Might see more snow by the weekend. :face-icon-small-hap

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The wind caused more loading on wind loaded slopes, so try and stay clear. The danger for today continues to be rated CONSIDERABLE on all wind-loaded terrain. All other slopes have a MODERATE danger.

OK guys, Terri is going to have PRIME RIB on NEW YEARS EVE. You should make a reservation to make sure you get in for the great prime. Let me tell you it was mouth watering good last year. The prime rib comes with mushrooms, potato, veggie, and also a desert.:bounce:

I've got more video goggle in, stop in and check them out. I do fill BCA and Snow Pulse avy bags.

I rent sleds and all types of avy gear, call for prices.

Christmas is getting close, hope everyone is ready for it. I"M not. :jaw:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Chilly

It was 1 above this morning and so far we had a trace of snow. The snowman is calling for Friday, temps are going to be in the mid 30's and the low at night will be 6 above. Chances of snow for the next 5 days. The snow is still good, you can find lots of powder. Great for this time of year.:bounce:

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Wind slabs that can be triggered by a skier or rider combined with slopes harboring some weak snow near the graound mean it's possible to trigger an avalanche today. For this reason the danger is rated MODERATE.

The bakery is offering PRIME RIB NEW YEARS EVE. Call for reservation's. The dinner includes mushrooms with the prime, veggie, potato, homemade garlic bread and a desert.:bounce:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
BACK

I'm back from Christmas Holiday. I took Terri to see her mom in Nebr. We had a good Christmas. I hope everyone else had one.

Now to what is going on here. The snowman is calling for more snow tonight thru Thursday night, hoping to see at least 8 inches.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Last week's period of colde, sometimes clear weather, turned the top few inches of snow into weaker, small grained factets. This variability requires careful evaluation and is the reason today's danger is rated MODERATE on all slopes throughout our advisory area.

Would like to remind everyone, that the bakery is going to have PRIME RIB New Years Eve. The prime, comes with mushrooms, garlic bread, baked potato and a desert. Make sure you make a reservation for dinner. I'm sure its going to be better than last year. MMMMMMMM:bounce:

I've had a few call to see if I had race gas, YES, I do. Its 110 Sunoco. I also fill BCA, Snow Pulse avy bags. Sled rentals are doing very well.

Thanks to everyone that has come in to Bearclaw or Super 8 motel.

Premium Features