• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris underpowered?

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Supposedly my 10 cat hat 160 hp but my assault pulls harder, climbs higher, is more nimble, and hell of a lot more fun to ride! Get the pro it's seriously the most fun sled to ride.

H
Feb 8, 2008
i just came off of a 08' summit with close to 165hp and now have a 2012 assault 155 and with 120mi so far i am VERY happy! It is a little under powered but it makes up for it ten fold in all other areas.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
i just came off of a 08' summit with close to 165hp and now have a 2012 assault 155 and with 120mi so far i am VERY happy! It is a little under powered but it makes up for it ten fold in all other areas.

I'm not arguing, but I've seen a couple reviews that go this way. A little more power in the Doo for straight climbing vs.the Pro. Some lean the other way and I just have the Pro (very happy).

But mountain riding is a 1000 fun things, all kinds of accents, jumps, sidehills, U-turn up the hill etc, etc. I really feel for those who gets their day ruined by being 5 sledlenghts behind their buddy up a hill.

And between pro and xp, I hear some Doo loyal people say "those who cant sidehill a xp cant ride". While I dont question their ability to ride or their truthfulness I just have to ask; what's up with this 36" front end kit from Doo?

My $0,02

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Just get the pro and do the slp stage 4 kit,19/42 gear, my ridin buddy did that...then ya can walk all over the doos, tell um its stock with a pipe and can...lol

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I came off of an 03 800 with all the SLP goodies. It was a strong runner. My 12 PRO is stronger and uses less gas and a LOT less oil.
I have about 100 miles on mine and love the handeling and power. What a ride..... and the chicks dig em :becky:

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
Well, after my first little ride on my Assault, I will go ahead and jump on the bandwagon that the pro handles better and doesn't need as much power. What everybody says about it getting on top of the snow better and laying over more easily is true. You will be happy. Heck, you'll be happy on a Doo. Or a Cat. It's all in the rider anyway, right? What drove me to a Pro (other than the great reviews) was the price difference. I got an Assault for less than I could get a Summit X. (Although I didn't shop much for the Doo, after seeing the price difference at the first shop) Also, the longer warranty made me feel like I was getting more for my money.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I have been through the evolution of polaris since 97, have been on all there sleds from then tell now. Untell these last few yrs, polaris has fallen short. But after they came out with the IQR in 08, and perfected it in 09, and 10. (Not without there problems though). They have climbed to the top of the pack IMO, After the pro came out last yr. It has been a real eye opener for the other two brands. I am looking forward to some deep snow so I can put the 12 to the test.

Even if the pro woops up on the competion now, how long will it last? Skidoo has to have something in the works. We don't want to forget about the new ProClimb, it is a first yr sled. How much can we tell so far, what about next yr. will they perfect the cat? It goes in cycles. 06,07, cat, 08,09,10 skidoo, or how ever you see it? Still comes down to what a person likes. IMO

I have been a Polaris brand loyal guy even through the rotten yrs. Just like I have be a Colts fan through the Bad yrs. (since the mind 70's) and there has been more bad than good for the colts. LOL IMO Sleds are not diffrent. It is funny how we all get cocky when our team is winning the superbowl. LOL

Just talking Guys and Gals.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
If you are like me, you ride what works. This year it is without a doubt the PRO RMK. I have had all flavours and if you are brand loyal you get forced to own something that you have to keep convincing yourself and everyone else it is the faschizzle. I like the fact that each munufacturer keeps raising the bar. We all benefit if we are prepared to change our underwear colours once and a while. ME, I keep it fresh.LOL...

Last edited:
S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
100% with you man. All the talk in the world won't make your sled the best if it is sub par.
Ya I am brand loyal and what I find, Is when you are brand loyal, and you are not on top of the hill with said brand, you are pumping money into the lesser sled to try to get it to preform with the, said brand that is on top at said time. Funny how that works.

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Ha yeah I'm not one to rate a sled by the dyno, I just care if it runs on the snow like you say! So nobody's been gettin spanked bye doos?

Either sled is only as good as the rider, I own a Pro and ride a Freeride on a regular basis. Both are awesome sleds. Wish my Poo had a Etec! Wish my buddy's Etec had a Pro ride chassis!

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
I think they are alot closer than guys seem the think, last winter I rode a '10 M8, '11 800 Assault and a 09 Summit up the same hill, same rider-me, and not in the same track- different line every pull, they were so close it wasnt even funny, they ran out of steam in bout the same spot- all three went over the top, honestly there was not much difference in power- in the trees/technical riding handling may be better or worse on one vs other but straight point and shoot hill climb, they were very close if not identical power wise.

M
Dec 7, 2007
I think the polaris is an amazing sled and I don't think it is underpowered at all. However don't expect to outhighmark a etec or pro climb 800 they both have a 20+ horse advantage that's hard to overcome for purely highmarking.I still think the polaris is the sled to have,just think if the pro had 160 horse it wouldn't even be close.expect to see a 160+ pro ho for 2013..

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
I think the polaris is an amazing sled and I don't think it is underpowered at all. However don't expect to outhighmark a etec or pro climb 800 they both have a 20+ horse advantage that's hard to overcome for purely highmarking.I still think the polaris is the sled to have,just think if the pro had 160 horse it wouldn't even be close.expect to see a 160+ pro ho for 2013..

Show me the numbers? And not from a Cat or Doo dealer, or affiliated parts seller. The rep at the Denver show told me that the Dyno numbers were from high mileage test sleds. How he knew this he did not say, take that for what it is worth. I have been looking for 2012 Dyno #'s and have yet to see any. If a sled is 20 HP less it will not come close to the same high mark with a comparable rider. Lots of guys on pros were not getting spanked last season. If they were why were they loving them up on the forums? I think it is laughable that the Doo and Cat guys have the Poo Dyno numbers that make their sleds look good.
Buy what you want they are all very close in HP and the ride depends on what you prefer.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Is it underpowered? Yes its less hp than the other two. The etech will beat ya up on the hill and thats a fact. Both sleds handle good and both sleds may take some time getting used to.So you need to take them for a day to compare not 5 min .I have not been around the new cat so can not give my opinion. Before you pull the pin take both out for a ride and YOU choose. How are your local dealers to deal with? Thats a factor as well. The Pro is a great sled dont get me wrong, it rides great But its not like the etech or cat would be terrible in the trees. Yes.. I own a pro rmk i just call a spayed a spayed.

Last edited:
Premium Features