• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Addiction Gas cans on Pro?

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
So just picked up a Pro and wandering if anyone has mounted the rails for these tanks on their pro yet. I have an image in my head of what will work but wandering what others have done?

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
I do not have one on my sled but was admiring one of the 3.3 gallon cans on another pro today. I asked him and he said they went on easy and he had never lost his can. My friend was looking at it for his new cat. He said the dove tail rails for the can fit his grooves, I assume a stainless or galvanized carriage bolt was used to go through the rail with a counter sunk hole or grooved hole like a sled/ bike battery fitting.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
They would fit exactly like they do on the previous IQ Raw chassis sleds. The basic tunnel design hasn't changed in 6 years.

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
I have the kit and I have had a hell of a time keeping one of the rails tight causing the can to come off with out a strap

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Two my buddy's put them on last year and had problems with cans falling off!!! Not sure they were built to take the abuse that those two put them through!!!

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
So just picked up a Pro and wandering if anyone has mounted the rails for these tanks on their pro yet. I have an image in my head of what will work but wandering what others have done?

They mount just like they do on all IQ/Pro Tunnels. When you order, order the specific pro/IQ mounting hardware and the rails will have a notch in them for the tailight wire, and the hardware comes with the carriage bolts just like mounting anything else on these tunnels.

I have the kit and I have had a hell of a time keeping one of the rails tight causing the can to come off with out a strap

Call Tim and Leslie (Owners) if you seem to be having an issue. I have run five sets of these cans now and have never had an issue as far as coming loose. If anything, I was having to lube up the cans a smidge when you first get them because they fit so tight on the rails.

Two my buddy's put them on last year and had problems with cans falling off!!! Not sure they were built to take the abuse that those two put them through!!!

Big D, not saying your buddy is doing anything wrong, but common problems with this is A. fogetting to install the safety pin. And sometimes the cotter pin gets bent and needs to be adjusted so it doesnt slide out too easy. And B. sometimes people only get one side in the rail, and it appears to be latched tight and in both rails. As you would imagine, with the weight of the fuel and only one side latched in it becomes a bit of a lever on bounces and can rip the one side that is latched off.

TTT for a great product, great support, and great owners. I would recommend this product to anybody.

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
My buddy's cans were bouncing right off the rails when riding rough area's!! Granted he goes at mach ten down these, he lost one of his cans last year and the other one would pop right off the rails when you pulled up on it!!! He bought them at Hayday's so he took his one small can he had left and they give him the one big can to see if that will hold up a little better. Guess we will see how that one does this winter!!

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
View attachment 153652

View attachment 153653

Ran this setup all last season, and only time I ever had the tank come of the trails, was on a pretty violent crash that threw me back and onto the tank, ripping it off the rails. Slid it right back on and went on my way for the rest of the year. Best spare fuel system I've ever used!

Do you have a close up to the mounting?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

S

skyler.hager

Oct 13, 2009
The mounting on these is genius. Bolts up in less than 5 minutes and I've never been with anyone that's lost a can. Would recommend to anyone

8emup

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Utah
My buddy's cans were bouncing right off the rails when riding rough area's!! Granted he goes at mach ten down these, he lost one of his cans last year and the other one would pop right off the rails when you pulled up on it!!! He bought them at Hayday's so he took his one small can he had left and they give him the one big can to see if that will hold up a little better. Guess we will see how that one does this winter!!

I could see the little cans possibly coming off more easily than the large can, half as much track holding it on. Hopefully this is an isolated situation. I searched and searched for info on this set-up and for the most part very positive feed back. I found one one other person who had a problem with the system and lots of positive feed back.

I also looked very closely at the powder keg but in the end I didn't think the storage space in the Polaris set up was that great.

NDRMK

Premium Member
Mar 3, 2008
North Dakota
Had one fall off in really rough trail riding, but have not had it happen since. Have been more careful in choppy trails. Two seasons of use.

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I could see the little cans possibly coming off more easily than the large can, half as much track holding it on. Hopefully this is an isolated situation. I searched and searched for info on this set-up and for the most part very positive feed back. I found one one other person who had a problem with the system and lots of positive feed back.

I also looked very closely at the powder keg but in the end I didn't think the storage space in the Polaris set up was that great.

The small cans have less track, but they also weigh less. In theory, I would say a 1 gal can has more track area than a large 3.3 gal can per weight.

It was pointed out by another member, but when I got my M/A setup I 'broke' in the tank against the track system by sliding it on and off several times. You will get plastic shavings as the can seats onto the track, although it will still fit tight. I mounted the first track tight in the t-slot and then positioned the second track while the can was on it so I knew the can fit relatively tight. Made sure it was square and double checked and then I tightened down the second track.

It's an accessory, it has bolts. I will check on it periodically for can-track tolerances and track-tunnel movement. Given I don't have any seat time on my Pro or this set up, I am pretty comfortable with it. I can pick the *** end up with a hand on each 1 gal can.

My biggest issue with the Mountain Addiction setup is trying to place them far enough forward while clearing foot placement or path behind the seat, and not be too far back for tunnel weight :face-icon-small-ton

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I have both the 3.3 can and bag on their rails. Never had a can getoff, but I haven't had a high speed roll, either. They have worked perfectly. If the can goes empty, I move it to the back, but I also don't carry alot of weight in the bag. Broke them in carefully to train them, one rail at a time, some lube, I can see them definitely coming if you only hook one rail, too. My hunch is if you have an issue, they will take care of you. Good peeps, very nice design.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
This is what I ended up doing.

2011-11-08202225.jpg

Mantis

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2008
I had a problem with my small cans and after talking with other guys realized what the problem/solution was...the cans are unvented (as per new laws/regs) and if allowed to swell, will come off the rails easier. If you are riding on a sunny day or they end up sitting in the sun for long periods, make sure you crack the cap to allow venting. Have not had problem since! Great product and design for a nice clean look!

D

Daniel Boondocker

Dec 1, 2007
Idaho Falls
I had the large can on mine all last year. I put it as close to the seat as possible to prevent it from bending the tunnel if you ever landed on the tail. Only issue I ever had was when I pushed it on without it being all the way down in the groove so it wasn't hooked in right. Still didn't come off. Just was hard to get off. It could be slid on wrong for sure if I wasn't paying attention to making sure it slid on right. I suppose if you got a bad rail or can from a bad mold or slid it on wrong often enough it might affect the shape of the rail and their holding power. I lost the retainer pin for a while and it still didn't come off. I can't see mine coming off even on the bumps. You would have to roll it off a cliff with the can full to tear it off the rails.

Last edited:
Premium Features