• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacon Who's Who

B
Dec 21, 2006
If you are looking for ease and fast, check out the Ortovox S1. It is also the only beacon that I am aware of that can be updated as newer programs are designed.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
After a few years with my S.O.S I'm in the market for a new beacon
looked 4 different ones over and I am liking the Pieps DSP

http://www.pieps.com/en/pieps-dsp.html

Who has had to do a real search in a panic situation and what did you find good or bad about your beacon?
Hey Jeff, our whole group has the pieps DSP and when doing some practice in a large group, those of us with the DSP literally ran to the target when the people with the older ones couldn't even pick up the signal. The DSP will pick up the signal from a long way. It will do multiple targets and will automatically swith to send after a few minutes (don't know the exact time). I have no experience with other makes, but after a few practice sessions, our group feels confident in these DSP's. FYI at the Boulder AVY day this past season, one of the instructors there said the DSP was definately one of the best. Hope this helps.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
You can't go wrong with the Pieps DSP. They are easy to use, especially in multiple burials.

The Tracker DTS is also a great choice, it is faster than the Pieps, but for multiple burials it isn't as intuitive.

If you are looking for ease and fast, check out the Ortovox S1. It is also the only beacon that I am aware of that can be updated as newer programs are designed.

My personal experience is that the Ortovox S1 is neither easy nor fast. It is very sophisticated and has a lot of features, it takes a little longer than I would like to get the search area panned out, but after that it isn't too bad.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
3 of us have the s1 and are very happy with it. It is the best one for multi burials. Multis are where the sheet hits the fan. If you dont have one of the newer units or are extremely talented you are going to have big delays getting to the victims.

The Pieps DSP is also upgradeable, just like the Ortovox S1. Just send it to us and for only $20 you can get the latest firmware version. The Pieps is very easy for multiple burials, though your chances of a multiple-burial avalanche are very slim. I use the Pieps mostly for the range. Very far range compared to other digital beacons. The Pieps will perform just as well as (if not better than) any other beacon currently out there, and for the price it's a great way to go. ($389 Pieps compared to $529 for the S1).

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
Thanks for the comments guys
My main reason for the DSP is that I'm big on simple

The DSP is pretty straight forward and pretty much all you need to do is turn it on and it makes sense
I also like the form factor

Looks like Im gettin a Pieps

Premium Features