• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

O2 installation location for turbo?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys, just wondering where most kits put their o2 sensors and how long do you guys get out of a sensor? Ive been having bad luck, one sensor lasted 15 km down the trail, and the others have been similar. and I'm thinking where the location on my kit has it, is wrong. It's in the elbow out of the turbo going straight down. Probably being blasted by moisture and water on warm up. Also it sticks in the pipe a good bit, perhaps that's partial issue?

Attachments

• 20171116_201838.jpg
    20171116_201838.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Well that is the general location for the AFR sensor. Mine really had no issues when I ran them but a cheaper sensor can go bad. Not sure what your fuel mixture is but running straight av will shorten the life on them as well.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Well that is the general location for the AFR sensor. Mine really had no issues when I ran them but a cheaper sensor can go bad. Not sure what your fuel mixture is but running straight av will shorten the life on them as well.

Yeah I know av gas will and the burned oil, you'd expect to get still a good few hundred km, I my self run 75% pump and a tad mix of av gas, I'm not sure what the heck is going on for me, 3 sensors, my first sensor I ran for a good 1000 km and became lazy, 2nd one I thought was reading funny, after 3 rides, put in my newest one, 2nd last ride, it lasted 15 km then wanted to read lean under lighter throttle but when boost came in it read ok. my last ride it read either super lean 18:1+ or super rich 10:1, weird thing was at idle it read OK, under boost or was super lazy, took about 3 seconds before it came down to the a/f. Mean while the sleds not running odd or lean like, no back fires, boost is good (haven't touched my box or settings) leads me to believe something funky is going on! Maybe 2 bad sensors? I called aem, he said well it sounds like your sensors working... And the gauge must be too... But said my location probably is the issue. I'm thinking for the hell of it to movie it to straight up and before the bend, also raise it up so it doesn't protrude as much, just enough for the sensor holes.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Yeah I know av gas will and the burned oil, you'd expect to get still a good few hundred km, I my self run 75% pump and a tad mix of av gas, I'm not sure what the heck is going on for me, 3 sensors, my first sensor I ran for a good 1000 km and became lazy, 2nd one I thought was reading funny, after 3 rides, put in my newest one, 2nd last ride, it lasted 15 km then wanted to read lean under lighter throttle but when boost came in it read ok. my last ride it read either super lean 18:1+ or super rich 10:1, weird thing was at idle it read OK, under boost or was super lazy, took about 3 seconds before it came down to the a/f. Mean while the sleds not running odd or lean like, no back fires, boost is good (haven't touched my box or settings) leads me to believe something funky is going on! Maybe 2 bad sensors? I called aem, he said well it shoulda like your sensors working... And the gauge must be too... But said my location probably is the issue. I'm thinking for the hell of it to movie it to straight up and before the bend, also raise it up so it doesn't protrude as much, just enough for the sensor holes.

Did you test calibrate it.

Last edited:

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Use a bung extender. I cut them down so the tip is flush with the inner pipe wall. How much boost are you running?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Use a bung extender. I cut them down so the tip is flush with the inner pipe wall. How much boost are you running?
I was thinking of doing that. Thinking now to install new bung that's provided with the kit, install it vertical right after the turbo and try and make it protrude as little as possible, it should get very little moisture on it that way, I know right now in the elbow it gets blasted with water droplets when the sleds cold and I'd take a good guess that, that's what's killing the sensors now. Surprised my first sensor however lasted a good while.

I also run 5-8# boost.

Thanks for the link! I'm going to test that tomorrow. I have my 2nd last o2 sensor still so I'll compare between the 2 knowing that it at least read when in boost. Vs the newest one just being a funky.

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
" read either super lean 18:1+ or super rich 10:1"

You may already know this but thought I would add.
The above statement you posted is usually evident of being too far on the rich side to get an accurate reading.

Boondocker kits have them there too.
I have used a few in 1500 miles.
For me they start reading leaner than it actually is.

The Vipec guru says it has to be in the middle of the pipe.
So hmm apparently everyone has been doing it wrong.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Yeah I know av gas will and the burned oil, you'd expect to get still a good few hundred km, I my self run 75% pump and a tad mix of av gas, I'm not sure what the heck is going on for me, 3 sensors, my first sensor I ran for a good 1000 km and became lazy, 2nd one I thought was reading funny, after 3 rides, put in my newest one, 2nd last ride, it lasted 15 km then wanted to read lean under lighter throttle but when boost came in it read ok. my last ride it read either super lean 18:1+ or super rich 10:1, weird thing was at idle it read OK, under boost or was super lazy, took about 3 seconds before it came down to the a/f. Mean while the sleds not running odd or lean like, no back fires, boost is good (haven't touched my box or settings) leads me to believe something funky is going on! Maybe 2 bad sensors? I called aem, he said well it sounds like your sensors working... And the gauge must be too... But said my location probably is the issue. I'm thinking for the hell of it to movie it to straight up and before the bend, also raise it up so it doesn't protrude as much, just enough for the sensor holes.
In your other thread you say your still chasing some Det. First thing. 75% pump fuel and 25% Av is not enough Octane for a Boost-it Pro running 7Lbs boost at 5000-7000 feet. That sled was tuned at 33% c111 balance in pump. I was running 33% C12 and the balance of 91 Shell. Anything less than that and I got Det. No need to move the O2 sensor.
Sensor life increased dramatically with the bung extender

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
" read either super lean 18:1+ or super rich 10:1"

You may already know this but thought I would add.
The above statement you posted is usually evident of being too far on the rich side to get an accurate reading.

Boondocker kits have them there too.
I have used a few in 1500 miles.
For me they start reading leaner than it actually is.

The Vipec guru says it has to be in the middle of the pipe.
So hmm apparently everyone has been doing it wrong.

Yeah reading wise I know 10:1 and below is rich, I'd think to adjust something but I don't trust the reading at all. It's doing it kind of random however, when the sled is out of boost and I start moving itll peg it's self to 10:1 for upward of 10 seconds, light throttle on the sled, then itll zoom it's self all the way lean and out of range, my gauge just reads ---, It'll stay there. get into boost and itll stay at --- for a few seconds wide open, then itll come down to reading ~12:1 which was roughly where my other sensors did say I was at for a a/f. Just super funky, I know the sled pre-boost isnt super rich, nor is it super lean. the last sensor lasted 15 km, under same circumstances it read 14.5 down the trail approx and 12 in boost before it started to do what it was now.

In your other thread you say your still chasing some Det. First thing. 75% pump fuel and 25% Av is not enough Octane for a Boost-it Pro running 7Lbs boost at 5000-7000 feet. That sled was tuned at 33% c111 balance in pump. I was running 33% C12 and the balance of 91 Shell. Anything less than that and I got Det. No need to move the O2 sensor.
Sensor life increased dramatically with the bung extender

I have the boondocker 3 degree timing key in the sled, I tried it with out it as well and it made no difference. I also have Tried running 100% av gas at 5# and it made 0 difference and continued with its issue, I can leave the parking lot and hammer it a ways up the trail at 6# of boost and it doesn't throw the code once. Seems like after everything thoroughly warms up, just weird. But it does seem now like leaning it up has made the difference and it's much better than what it was. It hasn't helped having the o2 mis-lead me, so I want to try and figure out what's going on and killing my o2 so stupidly fast.

I appreciate the info guys! keep it coming.

Last edited:

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
"when the sled is out of boost and I start moving itll peg it's self to 10:1 for upward of 10 seconds, light throttle on the sled, then itll zoom it's self all the way lean and out of range"

In this situation does it feel or sound rich? When it goes from 10 to 18 like that it is getting richer.
Most say to not use the afr to tune in this area.
I agree with them, I tune by feel and sound until on boost or at a constant load while riding up the trail.
Putting something like a boony box on to tune when out of boost might at least help you learn what it's doing.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
"when the sled is out of boost and I start moving itll peg it's self to 10:1 for upward of 10 seconds, light throttle on the sled, then itll zoom it's self all the way lean and out of range"

In this situation does it feel or sound rich? When it goes from 10 to 18 like that it is getting richer.
Most say to not use the afr to tune in this area.
I agree with them, I tune by feel and sound until on boost or at a constant load while riding up the trail.
Putting something like a boony box on to tune when out of boost might at least help you learn what it's doing.

I have played with the fueling and the feeling of the sled/behaviour, outside of boost it runs like a stock pro as intended per say until the turbo comes in and the aftermarket stuff kicks in it does not feel rich in that regards no and I believe itll get better leaning up my box more, So I don't feel the need for a box to control my oem fueling. I noticed that leaning up the turbo side of things has made it run crisper and much better. I have already played with making it RICHER due to My other issue with the sled with the DET code on-off throttle and It really made it run terrible and if anything did throw the code more on me as well as more throttle stutter when jabbing it, slow spool, choking on its self and just not crisp, wide open I had it at 12:1, but through the rpm range it just ran like poop being "rich". seemed to be lesser when leaning it up more and more. I recently increased the point of where the fuel comes in for boost, so it fuels a tad bit later, or with more pressure/less vacuum. which appears to have made it run better and lessen my DET code occurance. however I was told by boost it when I do that too that it leans up everything across the map and ill need to tweak my top end numbers. Now with my o2 not wanting to work I've stopped that tuning for now until I can at least trust the thing to have some sort of reading when its wide open so she doesn't get hot and melt down lol

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Going to see how this location goes. Should get much less moisture on start up in the new spot whether that was an issue or not, and not sticking in as far may also benefit it for longevity. New sensor again so hopefully it'll last!

Attachments

• 20180302_190856.jpg
    20180302_190856.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180302_184021.jpg
    20180302_184021.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180302_184106.jpg
    20180302_184106.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Got the sled out today, all day the sensor read flawless, never acted funky, Sled read its ~13-14:1 ish. and no funky readings. Hopefully I have resolved the o2 sensor issue. my last 2 didn't make it a whole trip.

Premium Features