• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FTS removal. Bolt stuck &=_^÷^×*

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
FTS removal. Bolt stuck &=_^÷^×*

Ok near as I can tell, the fts is mounted to the rails by a rod that is threaded at both ends and has a bolt going in it from both sides. The right side came out decent (wrenches both sides) but the left wont. I don't understand how I'm sposed to hold this thing when the one bolt always starts loosening first. Been at it for hours and to my knowledge the left side hasn't budged yet. It'll rotate, but it's just spinning the shaft inside. WTF?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Clean the thread locker off the right bolt you have removed, then reinstall it and tighten it down. Now remove the left side bolt. Now loosen and remove the right side bolt.

An impact wrench makes this job a non-issue, but I'm guessing you dont have one or you wouldnt be asking. Eric

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Clean the thread locker off the right bolt you have removed, then reinstall it and tighten it down. Now remove the left side bolt. Now loosen and remove the right side bolt.

An impact wrench makes this job a non-issue, but I'm guessing you dont have one or you wouldnt be asking. Eric
Exactly. And if you don't have an air system you can buy a good rechargeable one that should work, you'll wonder how you ever lived without one...

Before buying an impact I used to have the same issue with the shafts that mount the suspension to the tunnel. Tighten one and loosen the other, keep switching off until you are lucky enough to get both loose at once... of course make sure there is little to no tension / pressure on the shock (unless you need some to hold it in place until it is broken loose).

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Spent 200 on a air wrench and the last half hour trying. Have had the wrench on both sides trying every combination of tightening and loosening.

I got the left one to spin maybe a quarter or half turn but then stopped there. I would heat the threaded Rod but it's got these aluminum spacers around it. The heat will pry never make it to the inside.

Ideas?

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
e0349e26eb412c5d68feb8dd1d529eef.jpg

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
First off, pull the skid out of the sled. Tight both bolts, then use a propane torch to carefully heat the cross shaft, you may need to remove the hifax so it won't melt. Let it heat soak for a few minutes. Then heat it again, carefully. Try to loosen it with impact gun. Keep doing this and it may eventually work loose unless the bolt has galled to the aluminum shaft. If it has galled you'll need a new cross shaft.

The heat will expand the aluminum shaft making it easier to spin the bolt.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Ive seen these bolts cross threaded from the factory more then once. My 14 was one of them.

If your on it with the impact and the shaft is not spinning on you..... Then your in for a treat. Will likely have to drill it out, or get a new shaft. Eric

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Got it! What I did is put the cordless impact on the right side and held trigger down tightening the bolt. Simultaneously I loosened from the left side with the air wrench!

It was still a pain and took about 10 tries but by golly it's out! Thanks for the help!

On a sidenote: idk y ppl pull the skid (unless your doing other work as well). With it on the lift and all the tension off the springs, I barely had to compress the shock to get tension off the bolt. Then they dropped right out.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I would sure chase out those threads in the shaft with a tap, if there is any doubt that it will hold I would replace it... and maybe the bolts...

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
e0349e26eb412c5d68feb8dd1d529eef.jpg

Just an FYI. When you use a long extension like that with an impact you are loosening a lot of the effectiveness of the impact. That extension just acts like a spring. Anytime you have a stuck bolt, do everything you can to limit the extension use. So in this situation you would have been far better off taking the sled off the stand so you could use no extension at all. You were likely loosing about 50% of the torque with that extension on that gun.

Just something to help you in the future. Eric

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
On a sidenote: idk y ppl pull the skid (unless your doing other work as well). With it on the lift and all the tension off the springs, I barely had to compress the shock to get tension off the bolt. Then they dropped right out.

I can pull the skid in 15-20 minuets. I do it the beginning of every year to clean, inspect and grease everything up. maybe its overkill but it makes me feel better. There are NO replaceable bushings in there. When its worn you replace everything! I also grease it up every ride or two.

Glad you got that sucker out :face-icon-small-hap

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Just a little tip for the skid bolts. break one side free with impact and zip it back in, this breaks the loctite free. the other side should come out easy, jump back to the first bolt and place a flat bar underneath the head of the bolt applying outward pressure on it as you spin it with the impact. they usually fly right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features