• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI 180 Oil fix

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
Ive had my 1st 180 kit for about 300 miles now and the front of the sled is coated with oil. even with the roll over valve. (not near as bad before the roll over valve) im tired of using a whole can of brake clean after each ride to clean the sled off. has anyone routed the hose back into the intake so that the turbo just burns up that minimal amount of oil that comes out now? I really dont want my brand new spare sled coated with oil like my daily is. good for rust prevention, bad for looks.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Have my '16 routed that way. No problems yet, just don't really like the idea of routing the oil through the turbo like that. Would think MPI would have thought of a better solution, but then again would have thought they wouldn't be spewing oil the way they are too.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If you route any oil into the intake Oil burns hotter then fuel and it will burn up the spark plugs over time or so i have been told.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
oil on a spark plug....nothing new. it would be no different than a 2 stroke spark plug burning a little oil off....i guess thats what ill do then, re-route it back into the intake.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
I have about 800 miles on my Viper now,and the oil in the belly pan is minimal
What I started doing was to warm it up before checking the oil. If I checked it cold I was getting oil readings all over the board, one day it would read low so I would add oil but it would blow it out into the belly pan.

Now I have not needed to add oil in a long time. So not sure if the engine is finally broke in and sealed up or I was just adding to much oil.
I almost think given enough time the oil will drain back out of the tank into the motor by running the motor the oil is pumped out of the sump back to the tank for a more accurate reading.

Tar

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
I lose oil from rolling the sled over, a unavoidable circumstance from tree riding. just looking to minimize the oil loss and controll the area in which the spilled oil goes

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
I lose oil from rolling the sled over, a unavoidable circumstance from tree riding. just looking to minimize the oil loss and controll the area in which the spilled oil goes

Ok, I made my breather hose really long so it lays down in the pan so the mess is minimal. I was going to take the bottom pan off and weld a small "box" to it so I can hook the breather hose to it so the oil goes out the bottom of the sled.
Tar

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
If you're wanting to minimize the mess, don't do the MPI fix kit. Rolled mine today and although there was no oil in the belly pan, it soaks your prefilter with oil causing it to not get any air in, as well as smoking worse than a 2 stroke.

Premium Features