• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Itermittent Spark

Nov 5, 2010
Now here's another question. Should the Stator be replaced or is there a breaker or fail safe built in that protects it against a short like this.

Nov 5, 2010
007... I'm not a 100% on this but the voltage regulator which is supplied by the stator would fail first. On the 13's they combined the 2 regulators into the same housing. If one of the regs has been taking a beating, it could cause problems in the future.

Check out this thread. Has some good info
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327596

This is what I found out today. The stator makes power and the regulator regulates it to a precise measurement.The regulator on the 13 is regulating both ac and dc power. (This we knew)

If the stator is over worked, the 2013 has a relay that will trip. This relay should be the component that fails. This is why my sled shut down. The relay would trip and would not come on till it cooled down. The day that it failed for 30mins means that the wire must of dead shorted. This would cause the fuel pump to not work at all or the relay may have stuck in the open position, because when I got it back to the shop I started searching and moving wires so this is probably why it started again.

Another thing I noticed was that the handle bar warmers are hotter now. The sled was not idling right, it was to fast, and now its fine. The other thing I noticed when checking the TPS before the short was found was that the throttle would not reach 4.22volt at WOT. After the short was fixed it was back to normal. Sled is back to normal and I can't tell you how relieved I am. I just hate when you guess and throw parts till your blue in the face.

On a good note I'm going to make my sons first trip to the mountains this weekend as I had planned a while ago. Just him and me for the weekend.

Last edited:

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
This is what I found out today. The stator makes power and the regulator regulates it to a precise measurement.The regulator on the 13 is regulating both ac and dc power. (This we knew)

If the stator is over worked, the 2013 has a relay that will trip. This relay should be the component that fails. This is why my sled shut down. The relay would trip and would not come on till it cooled down. The day that it failed for 30mins means that the wire must of dead shorted. This would cause the fuel pump to not work at all or the relay may have stuck in the open position, because when I got it back to the shop I started searching and moving wires so this is probably why it started again.

Another thing I noticed was that the handle bar warmers are hotter now. The sled was not idling right, it was to fast, and now its fine. The other thing I noticed when checking the TPS before the short was found was that the throttle would not reach 4.22volt at WOT. After the short was fixed it was back to normal. Sled is back to normal and I can't tell you how relieved I am. I just hate when you guess and throw parts till your blue in the face.

On a good note I'm going to make my sons first trip to the mountains this weekend as I had planned a while ago. Just him and me for the weekend.

So the 11/12 don,t have this relay . Glad you found your problem and have fun with your son

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Good post 007 and good trouble shooting.

Can you point out where this stator relay is on a '13? Just for future reference.

Premium Features