• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice from 800 ProRMK riders

Feb 12, 2012
I am looking to buy a new sled before next season. I have been riding for a couple years now and have been on an Arctic Cat M6. It's time for some more power and I'm deciding between an M8 and the 800 Pro. Any advice from Pro riders on what they think about their sleds and how they ride...Thanks.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Have a look at the thread from 2fun4u .

She came off the M8.

The Cat is a very capable machine... some first year glitches... IMO, the PRO-RMK is a a more refined mountain machine. The cat makes a bit more power... but in a head-to-head in the same conditions the Pro seems to work with less effort from the rider and flat out gets on top of the snow. In a drag race... I'd take the Cat.

Have a look at all the mods that Rasmussen did to his new Pro Ride and then go back and look at the (lack of) work that he did to the M8 to get it to meet his standards.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Spent a lot of time on a 2010 M8 before I got my Pro and have spent some time on a new ProClimb Cat. All great sleds.

The Proclimb still has some bugs to work out and isn't as refined of a mountain package as the Pro or M-chassis sleds.

I still think the M-chassis is right there with the Pro when it comes to off-trail riding, but it feels old after riding the Pro. The Polaris also gets on top of the snow better and can carve tighter lines without washing out. Cat has the motor though.

I don't think you can go wrong with either sled. If you like the M-chassis you'll love the Pro (it improved on the few weaknesses the M-chassis had).

Joe

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Find a low mile 2012 RMK with warranty left and enjoy! I have been a cat guy the last 7 years and was happy with my m8 last year but the Pro chassis is just a total step up. It instantly makes you a more confident and therefore better rider regardless of your skill set. The cat pro-climb chassis is close with a couple of small mods and a great option too but the old M-chassis is a distant 3rd for sure. If you want to step up your game in technical riding the Pro is the best option. If you're looking for a sled that is close to the pro but not as advanced for technical riding but makes better power for straight climbs get the new cat. And for the money you would save I personally wouldn't go back to an m8 but it's a great sled if money is a huge issue.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I moved to a 155 Poo Pro this season and have been having a blast. There are many who say the Cat motor is superior in putting power to the snow, I will have to respectfully disagree. The area I ride and the guys I ride with do nothing but race from morning till sundown, we lake race, hillclimb race, road race. I weigh 220 with my gear on and have yet to be outrun from 0-85 by any other 800 whether it's a powder climb, road race, or hardpack hillclimb race. We ride with one very small statured 160 lbs. fellow on an '09 M8 that hangs in there real close on a hardpack hillclimb. The Pro seems to pull away from the pack when the snow gets deep. The bumpy trail ride does leave a little to be desired, as the pro seems to be a better powder sled than a mogul masher, and the handlebars are way to tall and ridiculously wide for my liking, the bars are the only thing I changed. One other thing that is worth mentioning is the fact that you may get as many 1,500 miles or more on one belt!! If you leave the stock gearing alone you have a sled that does it all very well on a factory clutched sled.

T
Oct 24, 2010
Bc
I am looking to buy a new sled before next season. I have been riding for a couple years now and have been on an Arctic Cat M6. It's time for some more power and I'm deciding between an M8 and the 800 Pro. Any advice from Pro riders on what they think about their sleds and how they ride...Thanks.

I would be weary of the Pro, mine ran great for 1200 KM, but has now not ran right the last 4 rides, after each ride machine was taken to dealer and still problem exits and now needs to go back to the dealer again! Sled is sick when it runs, but right now a kitty cat would leave me in the dust!!! Does not appear that Polaris/dealer knows what the problem is.

D
Oct 17, 2011
Dealer Support. Number 1. DEALER DEALER DEALER

I would ride any of the newer sleds any day of the week. Except Yamaha (Maybe only during the week so no one could see me)

Go with the best dealer in your area. If you got a good Cat dealer and have had good luck with Cat, keep using him.

A good dealer is worth alot.

D

Feb 9, 2012
Holt,Mn
I was a cat guy for almost 20 years I actually live about 11 miles from TRF but the Pro is the sled cat should have made.I used to think the M-series was the be all end all of mountain sleds until I tried out a rental Pro last year.I now have a 12 Pro800 Rmk and absolutely love it.It will do everything the Ms will do but much easier.I will admit I thought my HCRs seat was much more comfortable and rode a little nicer on rough trail.

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
I had a 2010 M8, until it got stolen, then I bought my 2011 Pro. I still love the M chassis, in fact i bought an 07 M8 for my wife recently and I still enjoy riding it.

That being said I can get away with things on my Pro that I could never do on my M8. On the other hand if I totally smashed up my Pro I could ride my wife's m8 and still have plenty of fun.

If I had to choose I would buy the Pro, but I love both sleds and fortunately for me I have both in my garage :)

C
Mar 2, 2011
Saskatchewan
Love my 800 Pro, came off a M7 last year, Loved the M-Series chassis but the Pro-Ride allows me to do things i only woulda dreamed of on my M7, Get the Pro

They dont call it a PRO for no reason :hail:

Premium Features