• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need opinions, 08 m1000 dying, no spark

10000ft

Dec 27, 2007
Need opinions, 08 m1000 dying.

I have a 08 m1000 with a BD race gas turbo, EBC, intercooler with fan. The sled has 1900 miles on it 1200 boosted, 10-12lbs boost.

This weekend the sled start missing sometimes going on full boost then died going downhill. After diagnoses it had low or no spark. Worked on it work for hour or so then it fired up. Seem to be working fine rode it for 30-40 minutes and it started missing then died going downhill after a climb. No spark again, worked on it for 15-20 minutes and it started.

Decided to get the sled back to the truck, it died again after a small climb. No spark we worked on it for an hour never could get it to fire up. Decided to pull it out, down the trail a few miles tried to start and it started and rode it 5-6 miles to the truck. At home it would no start, left it over night thinking it was probably the stator. Next morning started right up.

After reading many post I check the stator ( 10.6 ohm, both sides). Check all coils all within spec. Took off the gas tank look all wiring also looked at all wiring around injectors. Found the pipe had been digging into one of the plug caps (fixed). Everything else looked good. Compression and pistons look good (123 psi). Also unplugged TPS and check ground wires.

Put it all back together and went up the canon to test. Rode six miles on the on the road then climb a few little hills full boost. On the fourth climb it started missing then died going downhill, no spark. Took my meter with me and checked the stator right after it quit and it was 14.6 ohm both sides (hot). It was late so we pulled it out. Check stator at home when it was cold and it was 10.6 again and the sled started.

I’m stumped on what could be the problem; I would think stator from previous experience. I have read a lot about unplugging water temperature sensor. I have put 1200 miles on sled boosted and never had to mess with the temperature sensor.

Sorry for the long post, but need some ideas.

Thanks!!

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
My 07 M8 did the same thing, started missing under WOT on boost, worse the more boost I ran, it eventually got really hard to start, had to use temp sensor override each time to start it. Turned out one coil was weak and couldn't meet the power demand under boost and was to weak to deliver enough fuel until the RPM's came up. Replaced the stator and it was fixed, no more problems.

On my 2010 M8 with 650 miles, was really hard to start after running one day, eventually started, next ride I shut it off after a climb and it wouldn't restart, no spark, worked on it for an hour, towed it out, it sat in the trailer for about 3 hours and then fired right up. Replaced the stator and no more issues.

I would call Freeagent and get a stator on the way. I think she has some out of special services pretty cheap. Good luck.

10000ft

Dec 27, 2007
Thanks for the reply, my experience tells me stator. Used to ride Yamaha MM back in the 90’s and they would do the same thing when they started to go. Still wonder why it reads correct ohm.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
sometimes stators will work when cooled down.then not work after sled runs a few minutes.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
sounds more like the injector wires are shorting out, seen the same thing when the injector wires rubbed through on the heat shield and was grounding out, check there first.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Check all of your harnesses for water in the harness as well as for contamination in the coil harness wires. I had similar issue 2 years ago and found water and other contaminants in harness, used brake cleaner and air to clean and has been good ever since.

Premium Features