• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo oiling

Nov 20, 2008
on the older sleds and even the new ones i guess how are the oiling systems set up to lube the turbo. im having trouble figuring out how to set mine up. any help would be great another question i have is when the turbo is cold and i have oil going to it. is it normal for them to leak a little bit or should they allways seal.

Last edited:
M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Farm oilers? What should this guy buy that already works? I though this was sled talk not farm and AG dot com LOL. I would say no to your leaky turbo issue buddy but I may be wrong. What is the viscosity of the oil you are running? Different turbo builders oil differently and also power the oil pumps from different points than others. Make sure the circuit you're robbing power from has enough amperage to support the extra load of the pump, assuming it's after market.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
So what are the pros and cons of running an electric oil pump compared to using your stock oil pump to oil the turbo.

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
So what are the pros and cons of running an electric oil pump compared to using your stock oil pump to oil the turbo.

Pro of the electric pump keep oil injection
con rely on eletic pump to keep oiled,
more weight savings no elec pump and no oil bottle,
more power drain on system,
the stock pump works better.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
would there be any benefit to running a small oil cooler in front of the intercooler or is it a waste of time? I really like the idea of the stock pump and loosing that little electric pump too, less wiring and a cleaner look. so just wire the pump on full open and all is good?

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
so just wire the pump on full open and all is good?

no, you have a few different options, once again, its best to get these parts from a builder who has them in stock and already has the trial/error done

i removed the oil pump return spring and turned the outside return stock washer thingy around, then i bent the stock tab back so it was somewhat retained to the oil pump, now, no zip tie can break and i lose oil to the turbo, now is a spring fighting its way back to cut my oil off

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
i take it you want to cool the oil a bit and in turn cool the turbo air....this wont work or make any change to the air temp coming into your engine

No, i had a supercharger on my quad and it had a small oil cooler in front of the intercooler to cool the turbo oil. Just wondering if there was any reason to do this on a turbo sled?

I realize I would have to modify the pump to a fail safe open and that is easy to do.

Premium Features