• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRS clutching NA

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I have read through most all of this post. Just curious how this setup works with the SLP pipe set? At Alt 8-10 . Some have put a little info or maybe I missed some. I’m wondering if you could run same springs and that light of weight? or more weight same spring or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can run that light of springs on boosted sleds at sea level, so you will be fine with the SLP pipe. Just get slightly heavier weights.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Just received a call informing me Wahl Bros. have 125-175 springs in stock.

D&D Racing may have some also

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Next, going to test a Gates belt that is .169” longer than the 45.
The AXYS production center to center is at 11.6” not 11.5” as noted in their specs and advertising.

By going this route, do you seek to achieve over all lower gearing, or is it merely to achieve the ratio that was supposed to be there on paper?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Got a question for the clutch masters. I have Indy specialty kit. 5v full back weights with 3g in the heal, 110-320 primary spring. Indy helix with two cuts low/high I'm in the low 0-4500' with a 140-200 secondary spring. I have a 100-275 and 110-290 primary springs. And the 125-175 secondary spring on the shelf. Would I benefit to pull the 3g out of the weights and swap to one of the lighter springs in the primary? And the lighter secondary spring or just the primary? Thanks

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Not really sure how to put this.....but rode for a few hrs this evening with TRS clutch setup. I had the weights loaded with short screw and 2 washers. So i added 1.8 grams to each weight for 62.8 grams total weight. My helix is the 42-32. At 7k ft elevation max rpm was 8250. Sled felt very weak and did not pull very hard at all. Motor just seemed to rev and not feel like it was going anywhere. Track speed was way down, about 39-40 mph avg. Clutch temps were not much cooler at all then the Carl's setup. Not sure what to think. I know TRS put a lot of time into testing, and was kind enough to share his setup so i definitely dont want to bash on him at all. But at this point i feel like i went backwards.
Note: im running slp pipe set, head and bully dog tuner.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
I tried to empty the weights to lighten them up to see if that made a difference, but when i tried removing the set screw the allen portion stripped out so i couldnt remove the weight.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Not really sure how to put this.....but rode for a few hrs this evening with TRS clutch setup. I had the weights loaded with short screw and 2 washers. So i added 1.8 grams to each weight for 62.8 grams total weight. My helix is the 42-32. At 7k ft elevation max rpm was 8250. Sled felt very weak and did not pull very hard at all. Motor just seemed to rev and not feel like it was going anywhere. Track speed was way down, about 39-40 mph avg. Clutch temps were not much cooler at all then the Carl's setup. Not sure what to think. I know TRS put a lot of time into testing, and was kind enough to share his setup so i definitely dont want to bash on him at all. But at this point i feel like i went backwards.

I’ll PM you.

T G

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Nevada
dktraw your right Tony puts a lot of time in & he loves to ride. He's been doing it since age 8 or 10. As you can tell I'm a friend he would respect the part about not bashing. He clutches for stock sleds , for the masses of people the pipe the head @ bully dog change everything. He'll be back in a couple days & may have some kind of solution for you. I can see him rubbing his curly red head already. Good luck

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007

I will certainly let Tony speak for himself, but bash... It's not like anyone bought a "money-back-guarantee" product from Tony. He never saw a dime from me.
On the bold; If you have temps, my money is on the basics like alignment, shimming, offset, lead-in (how's you motor mounts?) and C-C distance.

Have faith and best of luck! :face-icon-small-coo

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
All new motor mounts and torque arm mount 2 weeks ago. Alignment checked afterwards. Belt to sheave is .028. Deflection set properly. Not sure on my center to center. Running the poo 183 belt.
I agree that Tony never seen any of my money, no body made me buy these clutch parts, i chose to. But i just dont see the point in taking it out on Tony. We can discuss why it might not be working and he has even been sending me PMs trying to figure out why clutches werent working.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Something is not right that is for sure. Your track speed and heat is the first indicator.

my experience is much different. I will take his clutching over a high dollar big bore. Even seen his stock set ups give turbo sleds fits. It just flat works.

If anyone can figure it out. He can.

T G

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Nevada
thanks dktraw though tony was with family . an didn't think you were bashing . it just amazes me how changing one thing changes everything I keep finding out how stupid about clutching I really am . thanks snowest @ all the people that discuss problems ,it sure helps the hell out of me.

Premium Features