• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 c-tech starting issues like proclimbs?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Most of the riding areas finally have snow so maybe a bigger sample size now. Are the c-tech motors having the same starting issues as the previous 2 or 3 model year proclimbs? Like when the sled is run, sits for 10-20 minutes, won't start, especially when cold?

Other than cracktastic clutches, these seem to be doing well so thinking of pulling the trigger on one.

thanks!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If u pull real fast it will start first pull everytime. If ur more relaxed when u pull, it may take 2 pulls. Hot, cold and in between.

After 400miles mine started acting like the Zuke, high idle after running it hard, shut it off before it drops to 1800 and it will backfire. Other than that this engine is awesome and smooth..... always crisp never gurgles..

Alpha ......

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
My sled sat overnight outside a cabin for a day and a half, didnt go above -17 during that time, it started with one pull. Starts pretty much the same hot or cold. What I figured out is that if you want it to start on the first pull, is make sure you pull the full length of the cord. It usually starts just at the end of your pull. If you pull ‘short’ it will take a couple of pulls.

You are welcome to try it out when you come out to Whistler.

bcriderm8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2010
n/c Iowa
+1 on the full length pull. Figured that out on the second trip out. Starts every time with the extra little revolution you get.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
My sled sat overnight outside a cabin for a day and a half, didnt go above -17 during that time, it started with one pull. Starts pretty much the same hot or cold. What I figured out is that if you want it to start on the first pull, is make sure you pull the full length of the cord. It usually starts just at the end of your pull. If you pull ‘short’ it will take a couple of pulls.

You are welcome to try it out when you come out to Whistler.

I might have one by then :D This question is a little time sensitive, wink wink.

If not I definitely want to check yours out. Thanks for the offer.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Mine has E-start and it starts with a tap of the starter, warm or cold. Coming up on 900 miles, ZERO issues with this platform

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
350 miles no hot or cold starting issues at all. Cold starts in the morning usually first pull. No backfires either. Great motor. For it's size,(I came off a modded M1000) it's very strong and crisp! Don't even miss the torque of the 1000.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Just over 1000 miles. Starts much better than my 13, the 15, and 2 16's in our group. Those are rough in the morning and can be finiky once they are good and hot.

Just make sure to yank hard. We ride low elevation on the east coast, and it can't be a lazy pull. Commit to a full pull and it turns over first time, every time

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Most of the riding areas finally have snow so maybe a bigger sample size now. Are the c-tech motors having the same starting issues as the previous 2 or 3 model year proclimbs? Like when the sled is run, sits for 10-20 minutes, won't start, especially when cold?

Other than cracktastic clutches, these seem to be doing well so thinking of pulling the trigger on one.

thanks!

What starting issues?

I've had 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 M8s and they all start easily

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
its pretty rough but ive joined a support group to help deal with the pain of starting my zuke.
we meet tuesdays and thursdays right after AA.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
What starting issues?

I've had 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 M8s and they all start easily

Heh, I wish it was simple as "a little throttle"

Two scenarios it happens. Never just starting up at the beginning of the day.

1. running hard and then letting the sled sit for 15-20 minutes. Gets heat soaked and cuts the power to the fuel pump. Sometimes takes about 30 minutes, no matter how many pulls. I've almost spent the night out or been towed because of it.

2. Falling off/pulling the tether and cutting the motor while revved up. Symptoms same as above.

Seems worse the colder it is.

Documented:

http://www.snowandmud.com/arctic-cat-proclimb-m/101981-m8000-starting-issues-tips.html

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/proclimb-m/439122-2016-m8000-wont-start.html

https://www.snowest.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-370605.html

I run finger throttles so never have TSS switches connected.

If you've never experienced it, consider yourself lucky. But with 50+ pulls you can be damn sure you're going to try every throttle position available. That doesn't do squat.

I've had my dealer talk to arctic cat and they know the problem exactly, just don't have a fix for it other than "add vents" and "the newer ones are better". The only thing I've found that helps is cutler's temp shutoff switch they sell with the turbos. It does work but this shouldn't happen on a stock sled.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I've heard of the issue from a few people.

Little over 7,000 miles on zuke 800's i never had that problem.
My 14 seahawk sled's keyswitch would cause an issue every once and a while. Turn off and on a few times and it would start.

Alpha ......

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've heard of the issue from a few people.

Little over 7,000 miles on zuke 800's i never had that problem.
My 14 seahawk sled's keyswitch would cause an issue every once and a while. Turn off and on a few times and it would start.

It has always started.........eventually. Which is why I don't think it's a connections thing. There are tons of threads here about it actually. Obviously some sleds are less sensitive to it but it's definitely a thing. My buddies and I had a lot of m-series sleds with this same motor and nothing like this ever happened.

But it will start up first pull, run for a second or two and cutoff, or cutoff as soon as you hit the throttle. Then pull a second time, the lights kind of flicker but won't start, then flicker just barely the next pull, and then just go completely dead. Pull the plugs and they'll be bone dry. Check spark and it's all there. The fuel gets cut and the system either needs to cool off, or completely drop any residual voltage so the ecu resets.

But like I said, if you've never experienced it, consider yourself lucky.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
thats a weird and unacceptable problem you have kidwoo. makes me think weak fuel pump or something. and you had previous comments about your sled feels low on power... something not right with your machine me thinks.
meeting is tonight at 8pm if youd like to talk about it. hang in there.

Premium Features