• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Engine thread (840cc)

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I hear you Eric on the more controlled controller, but BullyDog hacked the ECM in the ETEC which is a much more sophisticated Controller. There are some very smart people that will be working on this.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Who knows at this point??

But, from what I hear, this Kokusan ECU has the ability to go into limp mode when control signals dont match up with output... being able to detect piggyback controllers... HMMM... may or may not be true.

Lets see who has this ECU hacked.... or if the numbers make it worthwhile....Also, there is a good chance the Validation ECU's will not be the same as the consumer/production sleds we get next fall.

Time will tell, but there are some "smart cookies' out there.

Boondocker has already promised delivery dates. Rumorville was we would see a Sidekick in the accessory catalog with some sort of dealer install option. I have a feeling some smart cookies are already ahead of the game.

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
So true.
I know it's hard to do, but people just need to trust and believe when we say "IT'S GOT MORE POWER AND TORQUE!"

You'll see.

I haven’t rode one yet but looking and measuring engine components says it’s stout, strong and built for reliability.
The crank is longer(more volume) with beefed up bearings. Longer means bigger transfer ports(more hp & tq). Reeds are further back( more volume), different throttle bodies, cylinder height is just under 1/2” vs 800 ( more volume), exhaust port and aux ports are higher ( more hp & tq). From what is seen, it says more tq and hp that would be easier to mod for more power ( ports and case). Built to turbo and I bet the Polaris guys have many logged on miles. Can’t wait to get these . Gonna be a looooooong summer

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I haven’t rode one yet but looking and measuring engine components says it’s stout, strong and built for reliability.
The crank is longer(more volume) with beefed up bearings. Longer means bigger transfer ports(more hp & tq). Reeds are further back( more volume), different throttle bodies, cylinder height is just under 1/2” vs 800 ( more volume), exhaust port and aux ports are higher ( more hp & tq). From what is seen, it says more tq and hp that would be easier to mod for more power ( ports and case). Built to turbo and I bet the Polaris guys have many logged on miles. Can’t wait to get these . Gonna be a looooooong summer

Did you get a CtC distance measurement on the rods? How about the piston skirt to pin distance??

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
Did you get a CtC distance measurement on the rods? How about the piston skirt to pin distance??

CtoC about a 1/4” more then 800 ho +/-

Compression height of piston is higher then 800 ho. As for skirt length from centre of pin to bottom of skirt? I don’t know as I’m more concerned about cylinder then piston on that part

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
The main difference is aftermarket company's aren't regulated. So until the tree huggers force compliance the aftermarket has an advantage, it may be getting narrower but its still there.

Only a matter of time, the feds have been after the aftermarket tuning companies in the automotive world for a few years now.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Right. Well the envelope is getting pushed harder and harder right from the factory. If this 850 really is let’s say 168 horse and motor weight I’m guessing is around 150#’s that’s more then one horse per pound power to weight ratio! That’s pretty mind blowing when u think about it. I don’t think anything else (on the planet) can give that kinda power/weight ratio.

Some early F1 engines were around 1400hp/300lbs. That’s based off calculations though since they didn’t have a dyno that could measure above 1000hp.

K
Feb 5, 2015
I agree!

I don't understand why Doo and Polaris think a single ring piston is a good idea (the Doo 850 is also single ring for some reason).

Single ring pistons are fine on a 125 dirt bike that gets rebuilt often and you are trying to get the max power you can.

IMO, it makes no sense on the large bore of two cylinder snowmobile that is not getting rebuilt often and the power difference would be minimal.

Single ring gets oil properly to both sides 2 ring does not. Single ring is much stronger and ring lands are stronger. Plus if they were ever going to offer a factory turbo single ring will be much better. Polaris piston issues were more piston design, pistons collapse, fuel map, lean oil ect.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Some early F1 engines were around 1400hp/300lbs. That’s based off calculations though since they didn’t have a dyno that could measure above 1000hp.

I also think there are plenty of crotch rocket motors that outperform that too

EDIT: "that" being the 850 hp/weight ratio, not F1!!! Lol.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I also think there are plenty of crotch rocket motors that outperform that too

EDIT: "that" being the 850 hp/weight ratio, not F1!!! Lol.

I suppose it makes since to figure power to weight based on total vehicle weight not just motor weight. (Cause what good is the motor alone)

So if this thing weighs 418lbs (don’t remember) and 168hp then

Snowmobile 2.48lbs/horse

Zuk gsx-r 1000r 1.9lbs/horse (380lbs 199hp)

Caparo T1 (Currently the highest power to weight production car u can buy)

2.11lbs/horse 1,213lbs 575hp

Snowmobile is a pretty close contender. And the highest fun factor imo.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I suppose it makes since to figure power to weight based on total vehicle weight not just motor weight. (Cause what good is the motor alone)

Snowmobile 2.48lbs/horse

Add rider weight to that and the car gets closer.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta

Snowmobile 2.48lbs/horse

Cant rider dry or with out a rider

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Cant rider dry or with out a rider

“Can’t rider dry”? so many ways I could go with that! But I won’t lol

In every article, write up or spec sheet they seem to use dry weight riderless prolly cause there’s to many variables, like gas/fluid amounts rider gear rider weight and so on.

Basically the better number dry no ridder will still be better number...
Yes no?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Who knows at this point??

But, from what I hear, this Kokusan ECU has the ability to go into limp mode when control signals dont match up with output... being able to detect piggyback controllers... HMMM... may or may not be true.

Lets see who has this ECU hacked.... or if the numbers make it worthwhile....Also, there is a good chance the Validation ECU's will not be the same as the consumer/production sleds we get next fall.

Time will tell, but there are some "smart cookies' out there.

Just want to point out that this ECU is still a far cry off of the modern automobile ECU in terms of overall complexity. Guys have been hacking ECUs in the car world (and continue to do so).

It may be a little harder, but my guess is its no harder than the Doo ECU. Time will tell. Its all just 1s and 0s anyway right?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
“Can’t rider dry”? so many ways I could go with that! But I won’t lol

In every article, write up or spec sheet they seem to use dry weight riderless prolly cause there’s to many variables, like gas/fluid amounts rider gear rider weight and so on.

Basically the better number dry no ridder will still be better number...
Yes no?
To just get a number for comparison, dry with no rider is the best way to go. It's just not a real world number. As for the can't rider dry I left that out there for fun. The new engine looks promising and should be a good improvement. The bar gets raised again. For fun think about this if Polaris sells 1000 of these engines and .5 % fail, how does that play out on here. Just ask Ski-Doo and their clutching. Those 50 engines will look like 500 and all hell will be breaking loose, laws suits started and thread after thread of how bad Polaris is. When in reality their quality is at 99.5 %. That's one other reason along with EPA they may leave a little power on the table. As soon as you hack a ECM install after market parts, see ya later warranty. Now we can see the full potential of the engine.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
For fun think about this if Polaris sells 1000 of these engines and .5 % fail, how does that play out on here. Just ask Ski-Doo and their clutching. Those 50 engines will look like 500 and all hell will be breaking loose, laws suits started and thread after thread of how bad Polaris is. When in reality their quality is at 99.5

As far as product quality and the hype that gets reflected on forums and such;

There’s something to that. Look on all the forums, all brands, the Polaris section has far more trouble shooting threads. Could that be cause they sell more...I suppose. Type in “polaris snowmobile 800” in any classifieds site anywhere and 7 out of 10 sleds for sale with under 4,000 miles are gonna say “new motor” or “new top end” 4 out of 10 with under 2,000 miles. I don’t know sales numbers but if brand A sells 40% more blah blah blah. Time will tell how this 850 stacks up?

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
EPA complianc??

Did anyone hear if this motor met EPA compliance?
I was told by someone supposedly in the "know" this motor does not pass... If this is true is polaris using credits from other engines across the company to be able to sell a limited number of these and that is why they are limited production?
If there not epa compliant it might be great because now they may be a better setup.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
not a good start with the norway demos

Everybody that I know who rode the new 850 raved about the motor. That is around 20 guys at this point. The motor has great linear power and whipped all of the modified 800s that it was paired against. As much as they all went on about the motor, they loved the new front end even more. I don’t know what happened with the Norway sleds nor do I necessarily believe it. We will see next year but I believe that the 850 was is going to be great. For the record, I have had multiple Polaris RMKs over the years with various modifications that including one turbo and I never had an engine failure. Not one. My one Cat burned down about every ride.

Premium Features