• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old ts vs. Aro

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
So how does the old timbersled vs.the new aro go in the deep snow.? Has anyone rode one in the deep snow ?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I build a SX kit in a 136 in 2012 based on the same Idea with track and ski being 10" and 10.5" wide we did not have real good tracks back then , but in the deep snow it would take less HP to get around and handled better than any kit out their back then. Although TS told me it would not work:)
2015 they did a snow check only version exactly like my build SX in 136. With the right track they are totally amazing. Yeti got into the game as well with there SS model same idea. It's the way to go.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I guess so

have to wait and ride one next Dec.

wide ski is just some more $$$$

narrow track is hour work ...........out, cut, back in.

lock my wobbling front arm

what else ?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Geometry

The ARO seems pretty radically different from the older design. Plus, wider middle paddle on the track. Will it be significantly better? We are all waiting to see.
Usually when a sled manufacturer tweaks everything there is an overall improvement in performance.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
For those of us who have rode the TS SX kits in the past we know the idea for matched ski and track width is not just a dream.

The SX kits were setup more to jump so the suspension spring/valving was honestly its biggest hindrance in deep snow performance, otherwise they went incredibly well in the deep snow even though they were 2" narrower. Also the track design was not optimized for that width it was just cut down. The increases in agility pretty much outweighed the flotation for those who were able to take advantage of it. The aro bridges the gap and adds the agility without being only setup for jumping which was where the SX lacked.

What I do know from the narrower SX kits of old, the narrower kit feels SO much better behind your feet, much less heals kicked out resulting in better control more like the OEM dirtbike that you can grip with your legs and ankles.

So for the aro, the slightly narrower will float a tiny bit less from a surface area standpoint, but coupled with the properly matched ski width, less weight and track optimized for the width you are still going to go through the snow better since the ski is riding mostly in a previously packed rut and with the driveshaft up out of the way there will be reduced drag on the front of the track as it comes around.

Snowbikes are a system just like a sled. Guys get hung up on one specific thing like say attack angle. Like oh this sled or bike has a bad attack angle so it can never work as good as others. WRONG. The whole vehicle is a system and all parts of the system working together is what creates a good working rig, not just who has more square inches of flotation, attack angle, overall weight, etc.

Premium Features