• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Street Legal Bike to use for a Snowbike?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am getting ever closer to building a snowbike and I really need to hone in one bike. I don't have any loyalty to one particular color of plastic over another when it comes to dirt bikes.

I want a bike I can use for trail riding and connecting trails via dirt roads (hence the street legal aspect of the question). Being over 50, I don't see myself starting to ride on a motocross track anytime soon.

I want an all season bike that will serve the above purpose in the summer and be roughly 90% as good as the best stock bike in a snowbike application.

I understand from reading a bunch on this forum that the close ratio transmissions are preferable for a snowbike application but, for my summer application I don't think I want a close ratio transmission. Is there one bike that makes a better compromise then others?

I would like to be able to add heated grips and I guess if the bike is going to be street legal, it would have lights already? What bikes are least finicky in the snow? Do I want to focus on a fuel injected or a carbed bike?

Thanks in advance for the advice........

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
KTM

I ran a KTM 530 EXC, for 5 seasons. Over16,000 miles on it to date.
Snowbike in the winter and dual sport in the summer. Hot grips, E start, wide ratio trany, headlight, charging system. Would do it again.
The close ratio trany does help as a snowbike but the WR will work fine.

A cheaper route is an older KTM EXC, RFS (pre '08), difficult to work on and vibrate more on the road but inexpensive and reliable.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Street legal

Frostbite, fwiw I was in your shoes a few months ago. I ended up with a te 510 husky. It was street legal when I bought it. Has f/i, elec and kick start, close ratio and plenty of output for lights, heated grips and gps. I have a st mh kit on it and although I've only a few miles in marginal snow it seems to have great power.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Dieselwerx.com stated: "If you ride in wa state you can not get snowmobile tabs for a snowbike with a license plate. Keep that in mind". I had no idea. Can you ride a bike in the mountains in the winter with just ORV plates?

Dooman92, that sounds like an awesome bike. However, I understand the Husky uses a completely different Mountain Horse setup that is not compatible with other bikes. Not that they are bad bikes at all but, the ability to use the kit on multiple bikes as I progress has come to mind.

Retiredmotoman, Yes the KTM 530EXC sounds like the bike to beat. It has everything but, what other bikes are in the same category?

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Don't go 530 or 450 exc , they have oil consumption issues which on dirt are not a huge deal but when being worked on snow becomes a very big issue. The 08-09 models have crank seal problems as well as oil pump seal and gear issues , the whole smog system is really bad for performance. I just found this out the hard way after building up a 08 . Going back to honda . I'd get your self a ktm 500, Honda crf 450 x Yamaha WR 450 or a husaberg 570 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Don't go 530 or 450 exc , they have oil consumption issues which on dirt are not a huge deal but when being worked on snow becomes a very big issue. The 08-09 models have crank seal problems as well as oil pump seal and gear issues , the whole smog system is really bad for performance. I just found this out the hard way after building up a 08 . Going back to honda . I'd get your self a ktm 500, Honda crf 450 x Yamaha WR 450 or a husaberg 570 .

Very few '08's did have crank seal issues. The '09's need upgraded ('10 parts) oil pump gears and rings (when needed). All need jetting changes.
I bring this up because in 15,000 miles including 5 seasons of snowbike use my 530 has used three sets of rings, set of valve guide seals and updated oil pump gears. Still on the original clutch, cylinder, piston, trany. ect. Been one of the best bikes I have owned.

Husky's and Bergs are great bikes too. The European's have embraced the "street legal" dirt bike market and Japanese have not.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Very few '08's did have crank seal issues. The '09's need upgraded ('10 parts) oil pump gears and rings (when needed). All need jetting changes.
I bring this up because in 15,000 miles including 5 seasons of snowbike use my 530 has used three sets of rings, set of valve guide seals and updated oil pump gears. Still on the original clutch, cylinder, piston, trany. ect. Been one of the best bikes I have owned.

Husky's and Bergs are great bikes too. The European's have embraced the "street legal" dirt bike market and Japanese have not.

3 sets of rings and valve guide seals is a lot . Given that these bikes only have 600ml of oil on the engine side !!!!! Any loss is very concerning , when you do a 30-60 second hill climb at high rpm it spits out tonnes of oil through the valve cover vent , then when you have too roll the bike over you lose a bit more. At 600 ml you can't afford to lose any. It's great that your happy with yours but I wouldn't recommend these bikes to any one for snow use . There are too many other options.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Street

Frostbite, I am not an authority but my understanding is that the newer huskys, 2011 and newer, do require some additional parts. But, 2010 and older do not. Mine is a 2010 and my kit came off a ktm, all I needed was a fit kit. There is application info on the timbersled website that is helpful. Yea, newer husky sounds like a hurdle. Good luck on your hunt...

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
If you ride in wa state you can not get snowmobile tabs for a snowbike with a license plate. Keep that in mind

I live in Washington state and have my 500exc plated for street, dirt ORV, and Snow bike snowmobile tabs. and 2 friends of mine just did it this year. It is a little bit tricky as some vendors are to lazy to go that extra mile to make it happen.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I run an 08 KTM EXCR and have for 5 years. It is true they did have some issues but a lot of those issues have been over hyped. There are a few updates that the motor requires to make it more reliable but they are relatively cheap. I just had my motor built to a 520 including doing a single sump conversion which gives you 1600 cc of oil. If you can find a good deal on an 08 budget 1500 dollars for an engine overhaul at Thumper Racing and you will have a strong bike that will last you for years. My 08 had over 400 hours on the motor prior to the rebuild all problem free.

M5

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys! I guess I should have added I am looking for a bike that is stupid reliable and will just run with minimal maintenance and routine oil changes.

What about a Honda CRF-X with a street legal kit?

I also have a very strong allegiance to Yamaha. I rode their bikes, ATVs and mountain sleds until they pretty much left the lightweight REAL mountain sled market to those who continue to build two stroke sleds. I can see myself on a WR450 but, from what I have read, it sounds like the YZ450s work even better however, they wouldn't make much of a street legal bike?

D
Aug 29, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Thanks guys! I guess I should have added I am looking for a bike that is stupid reliable and will just run with minimal maintenance and routine oil changes.

I also have a very strong allegiance to Yamaha. I rode their bikes, ATVs and mountain sleds until they pretty much left the lightweight REAL mountain sled market to those who continue to build two stroke sleds. I can see myself on a WR450 but, from what I have read, it sounds like the YZ450s work even better however, they wouldn't make much of a street legal bike?

450X is heavy and underpowered. to me the options for street legal bike are KTM 500, husaberg 501 or husaberg 570

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho

I know you'll probably not end up with an older WR like mine, but the 05's stock taillight was actually already set up to be a brakelight -- the dual filament bulb and extra wire was already there. I just had to wire up a brakelight switch. After that I just had to add a mirror and I was pretty much set. Oh yeah... I'm supposed to have a horn, but it's not something the ocifers notice when they see me on the street.

My WR is registered as a street legal motorcycle, a dirt bike and a snowmobile. It makes for a lot of stickers and renewals, but I love being able to ride one machine all year. The wide-ratio transmission hasn't been a problem for me in the winter, but I'm sure a YZ tranny would be better. But then I wouldn't have the coolness of a year-round, do-it-all machine.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
My 2012 WR make good Power but have a Josh pipe coming .

It is very close to the MX bike in the Powder and when traveling on tails or with sleds the longer final gearing really lets the bike move along.

In my opinion it is a better do it all set up with the WR or Ktm’s with wide ratio gear boxes.

In Handle bar deep powder there may be a slight advantage if you have a a closer gear ratio anywhere else the wide ratio gear box is better.

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
Find this post very interesting. There might be different legal issues in each state in US or CA. At least in sweden, a pure dirt bike is not legal in sweden.
The big issue is insuranse in case of accident with other vehicle.
I can only speak as a swede so there might be other local legal issues.
A sled has a licance plate and a dirt bike is asigned to designated race tracks. Street legal bikes with snow conversion are in a legally "grey area".
For those who got dirtbike with snowbike conversion, are you sure you can legally ride on public trails?

Premium Features