• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

belt compatability

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
On my 2012 800 RMK, I had a spare drive belt 3211115. Anyone know if that will fit the new Axys 850, or will I have to buy a new spare?

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
it will get you home in a pinch if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
We run all kinds of belts on the AXYS. Proride, or Cat 048. All seem to work pretty good but you need to adjust deflection and may see a little performance loss or gain depending on width and hardness of the compound.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
From what I have read, the angle on the sheaves is different on the Axys from the Pro, so it would probably work in a pinch to get you out of the woods, but you might lose performance and belt life. Same length IIRC. Even aftermarket belts for the Axys have a different number than the Pro.

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
From what I have read, the angle on the sheaves is different on the Axys from the Pro, so it would probably work in a pinch to get you out of the woods, but you might lose performance and belt life. Same length IIRC. Even aftermarket belts for the Axys have a different number than the Pro.

Pro r is 12-14 dual degree angle
Axys is 13.5 straight degree angle
Patriot is 13 degree straight

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
What??? 13*. It should have a lot of bottom end grunt with a 13* sheave angle. Where did you find that info?

From the company that makes them

I’m more concerned about the new belt for the patriot?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Pro r is 12-14 dual degree angle
Axys is 13.5 straight degree angle
Patriot is 13 degree straight

The reasoning behind the dual angle was to make the engagement softer by allowing some initial slip. Or at least I was told this. That said it would not make sense for any of these belts to have different angles.

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
The reasoning behind the dual angle was to make the engagement softer by allowing some initial slip. Or at least I was told this. That said it would not make sense for any of these belts to have different angles.

To sell you new belts. Gotta buy one for spare instead of using the one you have on the other sled. I've a couple new belts never been used in garage, keep meaning to try to sell but never seem to get to it.

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here

My post was about clutch sheave angle with different model years, not belt angle

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Wouldn't that be the helix angle? The sheave angle would be the faces of the clutch? Sheave angle and belt angle would be the same to meet properly.
OP was about belts

That's another story, dual sheave face angles would not be best suited to any one belt face angle. The old ProRide helix actually was more aggressive on the start over the straight 40 degree AXYS helix.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Why is belt angle and sheave angle not the same? Don't they have to be to make perfect contact with each other?

Polaris makes them that way.
See ratchit’s post above.

It’s accurate.

Teth-air explains why right below.

Really nothing to wonder about.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
According to the Polaris factory guys....The newest belt is supposed to be worth some performance ~150 rpm vs just using the Axys belt. Whether that’s true or what factors of the belt itself make for that I’m not sure.

I like having the proper parts and since the belts are the same price-ish as the older ones, I would run the new one. But if you are simply wanting a spare in case of failure, that pro belt should fit and get the job done.

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
The center to center on patriot 850 is the same as axys 800 (10.625”) , as I was told.
New belt just a different compound, width and angle?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
According to the Polaris factory guys....The newest belt is supposed to be worth some performance ~150 rpm vs just using the Axys belt. Whether that’s true or what factors of the belt itself make for that I’m not sure.

I like having the proper parts and since the belts are the same price-ish as the older ones, I would run the new one. But if you are simply wanting a spare in case of failure, that pro belt should fit and get the job done.

So if you believe this just stop and think about this:

If 2 belts are the exact same dimensions but one is softer or harder than the other, the only way one belt could allow for more rpm's than the other is if it slips more in the sheaves. To slip to get more rpm generates heat and reduces efficiency, unless of course that it is only slipping just enough to allow the secondary to backshift better and not actually slip elsewhere. To say the new belt picks up 150 rpm means the old belt was grabbing too well or the new one is slipping too much.

One final scenario, the old belt just got too sticky when hot or was slipping only when cold and the new belt is more consistent through various temperatures. I did not actually see this with my 2016 AXYS though.

Last edited:
Premium Features